Page 589 of 725 FirstFirst ... 89489539579587588589590591599639689 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,890 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    If I remember my poker odds correctly (no promises), there's about a 1% chance of a high 3-of-a-kind being beaten in 5 card draw. Would you bet your life on that hand?
    If it meant not shutting down the country, then I would feel morally obligated to do so.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If it meant not shutting down the country, then I would feel morally obligated to do so.
    Do you think its the shutdowns that are hurting the economy or do you think it's people just not wanting to go out in a pandemic? It's obviously some of both, but it's not like shutdowns get lifted, 2-3 million people die, and the economy goes on without a hiccup. The virus is the problem. Unless its controlled, the economy is going to suck anyway.

Site Supporter
    Do you think its the shutdowns that are hurting the economy or do you think it's people just not wanting to go out in a pandemic? It's obviously some of both, but it's not like shutdowns get lifted, 2-3 million people die, and the economy goes on without a hiccup. The virus is the problem. Unless its controlled, the economy is going to suck anyway.
    If, like you, I believed the virus was the problem, then I would agree with the shutdown.

My belief is the shutdown is evil and horrible. Fear, and lack of wisdom, is the main problem, not the virus. The virus is real, but poses no where near the threat a closed down society does.

At least we know why we differ.

Site Supporter
    If, like you, I believed the virus was the problem, then I would agree with the shutdown.

My belief is the shutdown is evil and horrible. Fear, and lack of wisdom, is the main problem, not the virus. The virus is real, but poses no where near the threat a closed down society does.

At least we know why we differ.
    Just because I'm curious, how many deaths avoided would justify a shutdown? Not a permanent shutdown, a partial shutdown similar to what many states are currently doing (most businesses still open, just capacity restrictions).

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Exactly.

My son was a premie, and has always had somewhat compromised lung function as a result. He has asthma, and allergies, and is very susceptible to upper respiratory infections that turn to pneumonia.

He’s also got chronic depression, anxiety, and ADHD. I love him, but his health and mental issues have sometimes been a bear. And now he’s nearly 1000 miles from home, stuck in a house by himself, with an infection that does turn deadly, and does it in a hurry to some folks, and his mom and I are a little freaked out.

So a general 99% survivability (or whatever it really is, because I’ve seen a lot of different numbers thrown around) isn’t really useful as a concept for those whose survivability might just be a little bit different.
    From what I can glean, the death rate from measles was about 1/1000, or 0.1%. That didn't stop anyone from developing a vaccine for it.

We develop vaccines for things with a low death rate: Influenza and shingles come to mind. Considering that death from Covid is neither quick nor particularly pleasant, a safe and effective vaccine would be a good thing.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Just because I'm curious, how many deaths avoided would justify a shutdown? Not a permanent shutdown, a partial shutdown similar to what many states are currently doing (most businesses still open, just capacity restrictions).
    I heard someone else say 200,000. I think that makes sense. However the real answer is what does the least harm.

I know we are approaching 200,000. My trust is the accuracy of those numbers is not the highest, but even if accurate I still have a major problem. There seems to be effective treatments that are not being properly utilized. Such as the use of HCQ. So

Site Supporter
    I heard someone else say 200,000. I think that makes sense. However the real answer is what does the least harm.

I know we are approaching 200,000. My trust is the accuracy of those numbers is not the highest, but even if accurate I still have a major problem. There seems to be effective treatments that are not being properly utilized. Such as the use of HCQ. So
    So it sounds like you support current procedures? If the virus spread unchecked for these past months instead of the current rate, we would have way more than 200,000 dead. If the 1% fatality rate is accurate (assuming no increase of fatality because hospitalization becomes impossible due to patient load), we're talking millions dead.

Site Supporter
    So it sounds like you support current procedures? If the virus spread unchecked for these past months instead of the current rate, we would have way more than 200,000 dead. If the 1% fatality rate is accurate (assuming no increase of fatality because hospitalization becomes impossible due to patient load), we're talking millions dead.
    No I do not. I think the numbers may be off, but even if accurate are skewed by the fact effective treatments are not being properly utilized.

I’m not convinced the lockdown has saved lives. In fact, I think it’s had cost lives.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    From what I can glean, the death rate from measles was about 1/1000, or 0.1%. That didn't stop anyone from developing a vaccine for it.

We develop vaccines for things with a low death rate: Influenza and shingles come to mind. Considering that death from Covid is neither quick nor particularly pleasant, a safe and effective vaccine would be a good thing.
    But is anyone even asking about the death rate from weasels?

I mean you talk about neither quick nor pleasant, death from weasels would be neither. But where is the weasels vaccine?

Nobody is even working on one, that's the truth Big Farmer doesn't want you to know.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    But is anyone even asking about the death rate from weasels?

I mean you talk about neither quick nor pleasant, death from weasels would be neither. But where is the weasels vaccine?

Nobody is even working on one, that's the truth Big Farmer doesn't want you to know.
    Are these weasels that you describe the same as the Rodents of Unusual Size? If so, I doubt that any farmer, big or small, has anything to do with them. Those beasts are only found in the Fire Swamp, not on any farm.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List