Page 58 of 725 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158558 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Holy shit! I just realized something! HARBOR FREIGHT MIGHT HAVE TO SHUTTER STORES IF THIS TAKES TOO LONG TO RECOVER!

Wonder if they're a publicly traded stock.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    There are now 3 patients on the west coast with corona virus and no known contacts with infected patients.

Oregon health officials on Friday reported a coronavirus case of unknown origin. The patient is from Washington County, with no known history of travel to places hit hard by the outbreak, and no contact with a known case of the virus.
    There have been two other community transmission cases identified in California. This is the first coronavirus case in Oregon.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    There are now 3 patients on the west coast with corona virus and no known contacts with infected patients.

So technically I guess this is bad news, but at the same time, I think it's also good news. Three people caught the virus from some one else, and we have no idea who. Those other infected people are presumably healthy enough to be out and about in the world rather than at death's door. When Zika came to Florida, they didn't realize how many people had gotten it until the CDC went door to door to collect urine samples from people in the neighborhood where the first symptomatic case lived. Zika is asymptomatic ~80% of the time. I don't think that'll be the case with COVID-19, but if some cases are mild enough that they look like just a common cold, then the fatality rate will certainly be lower than what we're getting out of China.

Also, the quarantined cruise ship ended up with 705 cases. Of those, 6 individuals died so far, so the fatality rate is ~0.9% right now. I don't know the age distribution of the people on the ship. Hopefully it was a bunch of old people, which would really improve the outlook for everyone.

Stock market: I sold some bonds today to buy some stocks. I think I might do a full rebalance on Monday, and I wish I had more money to dump into the market. Doing that at any substantial level would probably require refinancing my house, and my wife and I are pretty debt averse. I think next week will probably be about as bad as it gets. Once we have data on how people in the US and how our health car system handles a few cases, I suspect that people will start to worry less. Obviously, I can't predict the future or I would have moved all my investments out of stocks a week ago, but right now this is my low confidence prediction.

Are we dead yet?

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Hopefully it was a bunch of old people, which would really improve the outlook for everyone.
    I thought we were friends...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    In looking at the articles, the only clinical evidence for efficacy I could find was on the chinese clinical trials website, which was all in Chinese. In vitro work is cool but I don't believe anything that hasn't been shown to work in people... can you tell I am in the late stages of my PhD?

Plus, no such thing as a free lunch... chroroquine and related drugs have pretty nasty adverse effect profiles IIRC. Had a classmate who got Malaria doing some MS2 summer medical mission thing in Africa and he was on them for a while. Seemed miserable.
    Well, aren't you the skeptic! Everything has to start somewhere. I've never taken chloroquine, but I know my parents start some sort of anti-malarial a week or two before they go to Brazil. I think they've been about a dozen times now, and I don't recall them mentioning any side effects. Could be a completely different drug and not even relevant to this discussion. Could be the right drug and at far too low a dose for COVID-19. Anyway, if I caught COVID-19 tomorrow, I'd have a very serious discussion with my physician about off label uses. I wonder if it could be formulated for inhalation...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I thought we were friends...
    Don't take it personally. I'm just hoping there'll be some social security money left for me! But seriously, my point was that if the fatality rate was less than 1% among a population that skews toward being elderly, then the old people were dying in China for some sort of environmental-related reasons and not just because they were old. When I checked yesterday, the fatality rate among individuals greater than 80 years old was about 15%. I have no idea how trustworthy those numbers are, but that's what I saw. Anyway, a 1% fatality rate is a whole lot better than 15%.

Don't take it personally. I'm just hoping there'll be some social security money left for me! But seriously, my point was that if the fatality rate was less than 1% among a population that skews toward being elderly, then the old people were dying in China for some sort of environmental-related reasons and not just because they were old. When I checked yesterday, the fatality rate among individuals greater than 80 years old was about 15%. I have no idea how trustworthy those numbers are, but that's what I saw. Anyway, a 1% fatality rate is a whole lot better than 15%.
    I was just kidding...but you knew that.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

Can't read it because WaPo wants me to subscribe but are those COVID-19 cases? My dept. admin head told me we have two coronavirus patients in the ICU right now but not the CO-19. I think that there is a decent chance of further panic induction when more sick people will get tested, more coronavirus cases of non-COVID-19 genotypes will get detected, but the press and public will think it is all the same.
    We have one case of COVID-19 in the state, contracted and diagnosed out of the state and transferred to one of our facilities upon CDC's request. I am going to pick my ID colleagues' brain later to see what they are doing with them, just supportive care, antiretrovirals, prayer, etc.

In separate news, after today's further drop I couldn't contain myself and told my broker to buy me some. And set aside another chunk to buy some more if market drops lower.

Finally, I've a running nose, a bit of postnasal drip-induced cough, and I am trying to hatch a plan how to test positive for the CO-19 and make my work to tell me stay home for 2 weeks.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well, aren't you the skeptic! Everything has to start somewhere. I've never taken chloroquine, but I know my parents start some sort of anti-malarial a week or two before they go to Brazil. I think they've been about a dozen times now, and I don't recall them mentioning any side effects. Could be a completely different drug and not even relevant to this discussion. Could be the right drug and at far too low a dose for COVID-19. Anyway, if I caught COVID-19 tomorrow, I'd have a very serious discussion with my physician about off label uses. I wonder if it could be formulated for inhalation...
    I am very much the skeptic

I'll spare you an extremely long story that I'd love to share with you by PM or phone some day, but I reached some pretty high heights in the translational research world, studying a disease of great personal importance to me, only to discover that my PI was a less than academically honest individual. Google Jynarque (tolvaptan) for ADPKD. Suffice to say the evidence that led to the approval of the drug for this indication is fruit from a poisoned tree. My experience is the kind of thing that would make for a good 60 Minutes episode.

So, ever since, I am accordingly deeply skeptical. It's not a bad lesson to learn, though it may have come a little too early in my professional career for my own good.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Finally, I've a running nose, a bit of postnasal drip-induced cough, and I am trying to hatch a plan how to test positive for the CO-19 and make my work to tell me stay home for 2 weeks.
    My PI is a MICU attending and I am immunocompromised so he's always had a low threshold to let me stay home. Looking forward to a little spring Stay-cation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am very much the skeptic

I'll spare you an extremely long story that I'd love to share with you by PM or phone some day, but I reached some pretty high heights in the translational research world, studying a disease of great personal importance to me, only to discover that my PI was a less than academically honest individual. Google Jynarque (tolvaptan) for ADPKD. Suffice to say the evidence that led to the approval of the drug for this indication is fruit from a poisoned tree. My experience is the kind of thing that would make for a good 60 Minutes episode.

So, ever since, I am accordingly deeply skeptical. It's not a bad lesson to learn, though it may have come a little too early in my professional career for my own good.
    Scientists are supposed to be skeptics. It sounds like that you had a really awful situation though. My wife has family a little east of you, so if I ever make it there with my pistol again, maybe we can meet at the range and you can tell me the story in person. I've only had one brush with academic dishonesty, which was in my first year of grad school. Fortunately none of the data made it outside the lab and the technician who did the work had already left by the time I discovered it. My PI refused to believe it even happened, so maybe it never did. (Protip: If your instrument generates data to three significant figures, never record six significant figures in your lab book.)

Getting back to skeptics, when I was an undergrad, I read The Microbe Hunters. de Kruif made some interesting contrasts between Koch (thorough and meticulous) and Pasteur (self-promoting showman). They have become the Yin-Yang of my internal science monologue. In practice, I'm much more of a Koch than a Pasteur, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I often think I need a little more Pasteur. I have biographies of both of them that I just haven't gotten around to reading.

User Tag List