Page 573 of 725 FirstFirst ... 73473523563571572573574575583623673 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,730 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I think it is almost certain that exposure to less-virulent and widely circulating coronaviruses like OC43, BL63 and HKU1 has given many people some degree of protection against COVID-19, and likely explains in part the variability of disease severity.

The open question is to what degree these things are true and to be honest I don't even really know how you'd measure that. I am sure somebody else smarter than me does.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think it is almost certain that exposure to less-virulent and widely circulating coronaviruses like OC43, BL63 and HKU1 has given many people some degree of protection against COVID-19, and likely explains in part the variability of disease severity.

The open question is to what degree these things are true and to be honest I don't even really know how you'd measure that. I am sure somebody else smarter than me does.
    Now I'm not saying I'm smarter than you , but you'd have to do a prospective study. I've got samples from ~800 people collected over the past couple of weeks. ~5% of these people have COVID-19 specific antibodies. I will measure antibodies to other coronaviruses and see what I find. Importantly, we have permission to follow up with study participants, so we can find out if they are infected later, bleed them again, etc. I have a smaller collection of samples taken from symptomatic patients soon after admission. These will be harder to tease out than the prospective study, but maybe I'll find something. I've never looked at human responses at this scale before (nothing remotely close to this scale!), but I've seen enough already to know that there are some really interesting data hiding in those samples.

Site Supporter
    Fenofibrate

Hebrew U. scientist: Drug could eradicate COVID-19 from lungs in days

New research by Hebrew University Prof. Ya’acov Nahmias and Sinai’s Dr. Benjamin tenOever revealed that the FDA-approved drug Fenofibrate (Tricor) could reduce SARS-CoV-2’s ability to reproduce or even make it disappear.
    Would statins perform similarly or does pathway matter? Interesting at least.

ETA
    Statin use is linked to lower death rate in hospitalized COVID-19 patients

Over a 28-day follow-up period, statin use was associated with a lower death rate and a lower incidence of mechanical ventilation. Statin use was associated with 5.5% mortality rate, compared to 6.8% without statin use, representing a 19% decrease. When the researchers examined the matched cohort of 861 patients in the statin group and 3,444 patients in the non-statin group, statin use was associated with a 45% decrease in the mortality rate, from 9.4% to 5.2%. In the matched cases, statin use was also associated with lower levels of three inflammation biomarkers, and a lower incidence of acute respiratory distress syndrome and admission to intensive care units.

In the unmatched sample, mortality and secondary outcomes over 28 days were not affected by the use of statins combined with ACE inhibitors or ARBs, compared to combination therapy consisting of statins and other antihypertensive drugs. But in the matched cohort with 204 patients in each group, the use of statins combined with ACE inhibitors or ARBs versus other antihypertensive drugs was associated with a 65% drop in the death rate (3.4% versus 9.8%) and a lower incidence of heart injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 07-27-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Would statins perform similarly or does pathway matter? Interesting at least.
    ETA
    Statin use is linked to lower death rate in hospitalized COVID-19 patients
    Interesting. ~83% of the statin patients were taking atorvastatin (probably because it is among the safest of the effective statins--I take it to try and improve my triglyceride ratios). The paper is here https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...168?via%3Dihub Gotta love the "graphical abstracts" they make people do now.

For those interested in mechanisms, etc. for statins there is this paper https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...6/#__sec2title

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    Interesting. ~83% of the statin patients were taking atorvastatin (probably because it is among the safest of the effective statins--I take it to try and improve my triglyceride ratios). The paper is here https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...168?via%3Dihub Gotta love the "graphical abstracts" they make people do now.

For those interested in mechanisms, etc. for statins there is this paper https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...6/#__sec2title
    I made the assumption that since the study was done in China, that the prescribed statins were closely regulated. Perhaps limited. Dunno!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I made the assumption that since the study was done in China, that the prescribed statins were closely regulated. Perhaps limited. Dunno!
    There were 6 different statins covered -- which are 6 of the 7 most common statins approved in the US.

Site Supporter

Edited: See post below for link to full video..
    My Instagram link is a dead end.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 07-28-2020 at 02:53 PM.

"Frontline Doctors Tell World That Hydroxychloroquine Prevents & Cures COVID-19".

It contains some familiar doctors and some that are new to me. It's being actively silenced on all the normal channels, but it's currently up on Bitchute.com.

Whether or not HCQ is effective, I find it fascinating and deeply concerning that there's such an effort to aggressively silence these voices.
    Last edited by David S.; 07-28-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    "Frontline Doctors Tell World That Hydroxychloroquine Prevents & Cures COVID-19".

It contains some familiar doctors and some that are new to me. It's being actively silenced on all the normal channels, but it's currently up on Bitchute.com.

Whether or not HCQ is effective, I find it fascinating and deeply concerning that there's such an effort to aggressively silence these voices.
    Which doctors are familiar to you? Is it the one who thinks alien DNA is in vaccines and that dream-sex with demons causes inflammation?

User Tag List