Page 568 of 725 FirstFirst ... 68468518558566567568569570578618668 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,680 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Are you sure? The 4.4% CFR comes from the 35,116 and it says that is total positive cases. My reading of it is that the HFR is 26.5% (1544/5820). Am I missing something?
    Sorry, I misread. You are correct. Top #s are from our state's Public Health Dept. The rest are our hospital system numbers. Mortality rate among hospitalized patients at our flagship hospital is ~11% (97/858).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Vaccine testing moving to "phase 3". Something something t-cells something something.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Vaccine testing moving to "phase 3". Something something t-cells something something.
    Yup - this is good news.

Phase 1: Is the vaccine safe? Check
    Phase 2: Might it possibly work as intended? Check
    Phase 3: Does it actually work in an appropriately powered clinical trial? In progress.

Seems like the vaccine candidates have at least demonstrated that they generate a durable B-cell response which is great. The real question left to be answered by phase 3 trial is whether or not the vaccine will produce antibodies that protect against infection. I don't really know long the phase 3 trial will take but presumably at least on the order of several months, depending on how quickly they can enroll participants etc. I don't really know how vaccine trials are designed but thats my amateurish guess.

Put another log on the fire... Florida labs significantly inflating positive covid numbers.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/flori...ign=benshapiro

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Put another log on the fire... Florida labs significantly inflating positive covid numbers.

Anecdotally I am hearing from friends in AL and FL specifically that they are being pressured to NOT include COVID-19 in their reportable deaths.

Given all of the noise, I am going to assume that the aggregate statistics from reputable sources (e.g. John's Hopkins) are probably close enough to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

According to the article, they were not inflating the number of positive cases. They were not reporting the negative cases. That was skewing the percentage positive higher.
    Last edited by peterb; 07-16-2020 at 05:31 AM.

The NYTimes published a very silly article today on treatment for COVID-19. Some of my favorite highlights...

Glad there is 'strong evidence' that mechanical ventilation is efficacious in the treatment of respiratory failure...

Looks like they're still trying to confirm whether or not RRT would be helpful for COVID associated AKI

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Before that, schools would have to open.

A school is preparing for the year, notifying parents of likely requirements for face masks for kiddos. Parents are in arms, all over social media, no way poor kiddos can do that all they long. We rather home school than mask.
    Unbeknownst to them, they may end up with just that because school's principal is in an intensive care unit with covid and school staff has no desire to risk their lives, especially when parents don't want to mask up their offspring.
    True story, likely not singular.
    Except the kids are more likely to get infected from staff than each other:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-16-08-23-01-1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  33.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Except the kids are more likely to get infected from staff than each other:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-16-08-23-01-1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  33.2 KB
    I'm not sure that figure is saying what you think it is.... it's a little hard to interpret without a little more context, but my interpretation of that graph is that there is not a significant difference between the mean log-transformed viral load (unclear what the base unit is there) across the different age groups represented in the sampled patient population

Viral load itself isn't really a helpful metric in the context of an acute respiratory infection, as far as i know, so not sure what the figure is trying to say ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm not sure that figure is saying what you think it is.... it's a little hard to interpret without a little more context, but my interpretation of that graph is that there is not a significant difference between the mean log-transformed viral load (unclear what the base unit is there) across the different age groups represented in the sampled patient population

Viral load itself isn't really a helpful metric in the context of an acute respiratory infection, as far as i know, so not sure what the figure is trying to say ultimately.
    It seems reasonable to assume that someone with a higher viral load in his throat sheds more particles and is better able to spread the disease. While young children do have the virus active in their throats, the distribution of children with high concentrations of virus is much lower (especially for the prepubescent):

Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-16-08-58-49-1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  33.7 KB

https://medium.com/@d_spiegel/is-sar...s-8b4116d28353

User Tag List