Page 566 of 725 FirstFirst ... 66466516556564565566567568576616666 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,660 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    If the graduate level propagandist camps suddenly become not so viable, I'll be fine.
    I'm talking k-12.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Younger patients in ICUs

Florida is breaking records in its explosion of coronavirus cases. On Sunday the state reported 15,299 new resident cases from the day before, a jump higher than any seen before in a single U.S. state.

Dozens of hospitals are at the limit of their capacity in intensive care units, according to Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration.

And one Miami doctor is particularly worried about the type of people he's now seeing lots of in the ICU: young people with no medical history.

Dr. David J. De La Zerda, who is the director of medical ICU at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, says his major concern is the change in patients — and the severity of their cases.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...rusliveupdates

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    The real question is how many people are for sending their kids back to school in person in the fall?
    Before that, schools would have to open.

A school is preparing for the year, notifying parents of likely requirements for face masks for kiddos. Parents are in arms, all over social media, no way poor kiddos can do that all they long. We rather home school than mask.
    Unbeknownst to them, they may end up with just that because school's principal is in an intensive care unit with covid and school staff has no desire to risk their lives, especially when parents don't want to mask up their offspring.
    True story, likely not singular.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    The real question is how many people are for sending their kids back to school in person in the fall?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    We aren't. Already signed up for the distance learning option. Most of my son's friends' families have done the same. Even if you want to send them back, the rules to do so are a huge hurdle and the 'in school experience' sounds like it's going to suuuuuuck.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

We are now at 2X the numbers of hospitalized patients than back at our original peak. Most likely still on the way up due to 4th of July bump.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    We are now at 2X the numbers of hospitalized patients than back at our original peak. Most likely still on the way up due to 4th of July bump.
    Numbers out here are starting to tick up. Pulm division meeting today at noon so I can post stats from our university system once they're up.

Site Supporter
    No way I would send my kid to K-12 until this thing dies down.
    I'm way less worried about the kids than I am about their families.
    Kids have parents. HS kids have parents in their 40's and 50's.
    Certainly no HS in-person.

We're debating whether to send him to college, however.
    We'd have to assume it's a given that he'd contract it living in a dorm.

Is it better to get it when you're surrounded by other young people, get some immunity... or ... get it locally and bring it home to your family?
    Is it more or less likely that a healthy young person gets serious complications picking it up in a college environment or from a distance learning environment?
    The social distancing rigor at home is not awful, but not excellent.

So many unknowns.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    No way I would send my kid to K-12 until this thing dies down.
    I'm way less worried about the kids than I am about their families.
    Kids have parents. HS kids have parents in their 40's and 50's.
    Certainly no HS in-person.

We're debating whether to send him to college, however.
    We'd have to assume it's a given that he'd contract it living in a dorm.

Is it better to get it when you're surrounded by other young people, get some immunity... or ... get it locally and bring it home to your family?
    Is it more or less likely that a healthy young person gets serious complications picking it up in a college environment or from a distance learning environment?
    The social distancing rigor at home is not awful, but not excellent.

So many unknowns.
    Dorm life seems like an obviously horrible idea right now (as UC Berkeley just found out). I also get nauseated thinking about the idea of paying a full semester x2's worth of tuition for online lectures. If I was on a full ride I probably wouldn't mind....

Pretty great time for a gap year in my opinion, though to be honest I struggle to think of how to make it productive.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that the immunity seems shorter lived. I don't have any hard data to point to but saw some research suggesting immunity for some patients could start to decrease after a few months. This appears to be especially acute for mild/asymptomatic cases. Probably low risk for the young folks getting it again, but something to keep in mind that they may become transmission vectors again for older family several months after recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that the immunity seems shorter lived. I don't have any hard data to point to but saw some research suggesting immunity for some patients could start to decrease after a few months. This appears to be especially acute for mild/asymptomatic cases. Probably low risk for the young folks getting it again, but something to keep in mind that they may become transmission vectors again for older family several months after recovery.
    https://www.technologyreview.com/202...tudy-suggests/

Paper here, not yet peer reviewed: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....09.20148429v1

I've been following this with some interest, because we've got a family issue with an older person in a hotspot we have reason to be concerned about. In the argument about who would go to support if needed, an uncle was claiming himself, as he was positive for antibodies with no history of symptoms a few months back, but not otherwise in great health. I felt more comfortable with someone younger (myself or wife) getting on a plane and going.

User Tag List