Page 54 of 725 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154554 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    That's interesting. There was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary here. One other vehicle at the 8 pump gas station. No line at the register at the Walmart. Nothing short on the shelves.

I didn't think to check whether they had n95 masks, which I don't really need, but just out of curiosity I might check tomorrow.
    CDC saying masks are not needed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...rus-2020-01-30

I don't have contact with the general public most days so I don't have to choose. I'm on an island and I'm retired.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-27-2020 at 09:09 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Israeli scientists: 'In a few weeks, we will have coronavirus vaccine'

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    These are both entirely speculative.
    Just saw this. Don’t know enough to have a thought one way or the other. Doc?

“Our basic concept was to develop the technology and not specifically a vaccine for this kind or that kind of virus,” said Dr. Chen Katz, MIGAL’s biotechnology group leader. “The scientific framework for the vaccine is based on a new protein expression vector, which forms and secretes a chimeric soluble protein that delivers the viral antigen into mucosal tissues by self-activated endocytosis, causing the body to form antibodies against the virus.”
    . . .

In preclinical trials, the team demonstrated that the oral vaccination induces high levels of specific anti-IBV antibodies, Katz said.

“Let’s call it pure luck,” he said. “We decided to choose coronavirus as a model for our system just as a proof of concept for our technology.”

But after scientists sequenced the DNA of the novel coronavirus causing the current worldwide outbreak, the MIGAL researchers examined it and found that the poultry coronavirus has high genetic similarity to the human one, and that it uses the same infection mechanism, which increases the likelihood of achieving an effective human vaccine in a very short period of time, Katz said.

“All we need to do is adjust the system to the new sequence,” he said. “We are in the middle of this process, and hopefully in a few weeks we will have the vaccine in our hands. Yes, in a few weeks, if it all works, we would have a vaccine to prevent coronavirus.”

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/I...vaccine-619101

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post

That's pretty amazing if it works.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    CDC saying masks are not needed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...rus-2020-01-30

I don't have contact with the general public most days so I don't have to choose. I'm on an island and I'm retired.
    Yeah, I'm just curious because I keep hearing how they're unavailable on Amazon etc.

If I want to mask up, I have tons of that kind of stuff for working with fibreglass.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post

Not real

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Yeah, I'm just curious because I keep hearing how they're unavailable on Amazon etc.

If I want to mask up, I have tons of that kind of stuff for working with fibreglass.
    People behave irrationally when scared of something they understand poorly.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Clearly...but my guess is that this is currently regional. As far as I can tell, there have been no runs on anything here.

Of course you don't see runs on stuff here very often, even in the event of actual short-term emergencies. Unless you count chinese Vancouverites and salt, they went absolutely insane over that a couple of years back.

Actually Vancouver is taking a beating on this right now... chinese businesses are getting shut down all over the place as they get randomly targeted by rumours on WeChat and then are basically boycotted by their entire customer base.

But here, I don't think there's a sense that anything is particularly wrong. Nobody is talking about it at work, for example.

Site Supporter
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...avirus/607150/

So some countries where the leadership is more interested in religious fanaticism will not stop this.
    The Israelis will have a good countermeasure. Guess who they won't be interested in helping.

I sold out all of the N95 masks in my inventory.. to my local clinic..

I didn't keep any for myself. I can't stand wearing the things.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...avirus/607150/

So some countries where the leadership is more interested in religious fanaticism will not stop this.
    The Israelis will have a good countermeasure. Guess who they won't be interested in helping.
    Nor is he the only top official to have been infected: Today, Masoumeh Ebtekar, Iran’s vice president and a notoriously cruel member of the group of Iranians who held U.S. diplomats hostage in 1979, announced that she, too, has the disease. According to reports, she met with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and his cabinet just yesterday, potentially exposing the entire senior leadership of Iran to the disease.
    We can only hope that those infected in Iran's government lean more towards the fatal side of the coronavirus equation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Cool!!! Another debt investor!! Do you use Treasury Direct? I have been using it for near twenty years now for all of my fed.gov bond investing. I have everything from 28-day T-Bills to 30-year TIPS in my "bond ladder".
    I should have said "bond mutual funds." My money is in Vanguard's Intermediate Term Bond Index, TIPS, and International Bond funds. In my work account, I have some in Fidelity's TIPS fund. Bonds are only 20% of my portfolio and one of the main reasons I own them is so I can rebalance out of them and buy stock index fund shares in big market downturns

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...in-the-country

Coronavirus infects woman in Japan for the second time, a first in the country

What are the medical professionals thoughts on the question of re-infection vs the virus being bi-phasic as with Anthrax?
    If true, this would have very significant implications. A lot of respiratory viruses don't stimulate protective immunity. RSV is a good example, and people are reinfected with it throughout their lifespan. However, I would not expect re-infection to occur within a couple of weeks of the initial infection. I'll look into this more tomorrow, but my strong suspicion is that the woman never really cleared the infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    These are both entirely speculative.
    Not entirely speculative, but perhaps optimistic. Lysosomal acidification is a step in a lot of virus life cycles, and chloroquine screws with that process. Also for whatever it's worth, there's this paper (LINK). Given the option, if I were going to volunteer for an infection study, I'd want to be in the group that gets chloroquine.

User Tag List