Page 53 of 725 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

When we see workers "fumigating" the city and streets, what chemicals are they spraying?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    When we see workers "fumigating" the city and streets, what chemicals are they spraying?
    Nothing that is going to kill the virus, lol. That is for sure.

It's a total waste of resources. I really don't understand a lot of the Chinese PPE measures. They are not helpful at all. Seem to be mostly theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    That's what I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'd bet 70/30 against.
    Will depend on how things go. There is a good that by June life will be back to normal. That said, I can't imagine they will wait super long to make that decision, given how much advanced planning is required for big conferences like SHOT.

It's a total waste of resources. I really don't understand a lot of the Chinese PPE measures. They are not helpful at all. Seem to be mostly theater.
    It's 100% theater, a show of "we're doing SOMETHING!!!"
    Often in lieu of more productive, but less visible actions.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I'm supposed to go to the annual meeting of the American Thoracic Society in May (Pulmonary medicine & critical care). Usually a highly international conference. I think there is a very real chance it will be canceled.
    How are you going to get your CEC's. We always looked forward to those conferences.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    How are you going to get your CEC's. We always looked forward to those conferences.
    More importantly, what about the free food and champagne flutes in the vendor hall??

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Dude... that would be a serious blow to their economy, at least in that area I'd think. How much infrastructure have they already put in place?
    They'll recover. They have manufacturing plants in the US. No tariffs and no union contracts.

More importantly, what about the free food and champagne flutes in the vendor hall??
    It's a holiday in a foreign land for sure.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Costco was chaos.

I saw two women get into a fight over a Brita pitcher. And two guys were screaming at each other in the parking lot.

At this point, I don't even know what's going on. This time of year, people in Chicago are a little...stir crazy. As winter nears its end but also comes and goes in bursts that limit outdoor activity. People turn snappy, angry, unpleasant - so it isn't uncommon to see people a little wound up.

But I dunno, maybe that chaos was a little more than usual. The lines for gas weren't too long though.
    That's interesting. There was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary here. One other vehicle at the 8 pump gas station. No line at the register at the Walmart. Nothing short on the shelves.

I didn't think to check whether they had n95 masks, which I don't really need, but just out of curiosity I might check tomorrow.

User Tag List