Page 529 of 725 FirstFirst ... 29429479519527528529530531539579629 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,290 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Has the virus been proven to make people lose the ability to reason, and further, impel them to take to the streets? Asking for a friend...
    Neither. The virus is far smarter than we believe. It understands the difference between lack of social distancing for personal stuff like going to the beach and important stuff like protesting. Since it’s Chinese though it gets confused between riot and protest.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Neither. The virus is far smarter than we believe. It understands the difference between lack of social distancing for personal stuff like going to the beach and important stuff like protesting. Since it’s Chinese though it gets confused between riot and protest.
    So, good at math, but not so good behind the wheel. Got it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The Experts: "Muh Bad..."

Asymptomatic spread of COVID-19 ‘very rare,’ World Health Org admits

The medical establishment is backing away from yet another piece of conventional wisdom about COVID-19, with the World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) admission Monday that individuals without symptoms are unlikely to spread the coronavirus.

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, told the United Nations on Monday.

While adding that more data is needed to “truly answer” the question, Van Kerkhove explained that several countries are currently conducting “very detailed contact tracing” in which “they’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

Based on these findings, she said the public health focus should be on “following the symptomatic cases. If we actually followed all of the symptomatic cases, isolated those cases, followed the contacts and quarantined those contacts, we would drastically reduce” the outbreak.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    The hospital here is packed with COVID-19 cases and PUI. I think a lot of our patient population are transfers from smaller outlying hospitals. Testing volume is down a little over the past few days following a big surge of testing patients and employees in long term care facilities across the state. I'm involved in some biosurveillance work and the first batch of samples we received had a seropositivity rate of 5% based on a commercial assay. I ran the positives and an equal numbers of negatives in the assay I have in place in my lab (not a commercial assay), and confirmed the results for those samples. Then I ran the assay again and confirmed the results again. As far as I can tell, the assay is accurate. I had really been hoping for 10% or 15% positive.

Donated blood today and discovered they are testing all donations for antibodies. I doubt I have them, but I still can't wait to see the official answer in 2 weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The Experts: "Muh Bad..."
    The report is echoed in enough major sources. It’s just one who study, but if this bears out the lockdown was stupid and we wrecked the economy for no reason.
    Ignore Alien Orders

New WHO news is getting some pushback over the various study methods etc which while interesting and worth study might not lead to a "viral" public conclusion just yet. IDK!

But I've seen some questions raised like - how do folks tell on any given day of huffing and puffing about if they're asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic? The latter being still believed to being contagious.

Regardless it can hardly call into question the efficacy of how this virus spread and had its curve bent and mitigated its deaths and suffering with distancing. I'm thinking that's been done to death by now but probably not.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Separate thought . . . say asymptomatic spread is very rare. Then perhaps a much smaller number or infectious persons spread enough of it around to kill two bad flu seasons worth of people in about 4 months. Huh.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The report is echoed in enough major sources. It’s just one who study, but if this bears out the lockdown was stupid and we wrecked the economy for no reason.
    Sadly, it doesn’t matter what science comes out. Just like every other issue in America today people have lined up behind their political party on one side or the other and will never admit they were wrong.

The CDC now says:

1. The virus does not live on surfaces for an extended period of time
    2. The virus does not have an unusually long incubation period
    3. Asymptomatic spreading is so rare as to be statistically insignificant
    4. The death rate is much much lower than the WHO stats of 3.4%

Regardless of any of these “facts”, or the “facts” that they replace, or the new “facts” sure to come out next week, people will continue to defend their tribal responses, even here.

Site Supporter
    The headlines from the WHO report are going to be used by people who think masks are pointless but I think the reality is that it's just semantics. Even if they're correct about truly asymptomatic cases they're still saying it can be spread by people who are pre-symptomatic or paucisymptomatic (atypical symptoms or symptoms so mild they aren't noticed). In other words, it's spread by people who have no idea that they are Covid positive. When it comes to the real world application of wearing masks I don't see where this report should change anything.

User Tag List