Page 51 of 725 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Times like this make having a deer in the freezer, a couple of cases of MRE's, some water filtration, and some P100 masks on hand seem like a pretty smart idea.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Locally the grocery stores have added a hand sanitizer station with wipes to wipe down the handle of grocery carts when you take one.

Was just thinking that having supplies of latex/nitrile gloves to don when entering such places for such activities might be a better course of action is the shit hits the fan.
    They've had those sanitizing stations at every turn on cruise ships for awhile now. I remember having a cruise cut short about 10 years ago because they had to disinfect a ship. Probably had an outbreak of Legionnaires or something that put a bunch of people down. Cruise ships are like leper colonies but people still subject themselves to the viruses. I stopped flying about 7 years ago because I didn't have to do it for work and had no more relatives anywhere I couldn't drive to see. I know that isn't the case for a lot of people but it was for me. Every time I got on a plane I got sick. But then I got food poisoning driving coast to coast one time so nothing is 100%.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-27-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I might have the wrong attitude about this, but I’m a lot more worried about running out of eggs and contact lens fluid than I am about dying. My parents are in their 80s, with some typical attendant health issues. We are watching things very carefully, as they are planning a trip to the bay area in a week. That is a concern.

But me? No health issues whatsoever besides bad eyes, 50-ish? As @Clusterfrack mentioned, a trip to the jiu-jitsu club, or boxing gym pretty much wipes out any precautions one could take beyond washing your hands before going out for a beer with your training partners. I’m going to have to rely on my wife and I’s rural poor latchkey gen-x upbringing, steady diet of mud pies in pre-school, cardio fitness, and decades of teaching the ambulatory petri dishes that are other people’s kids from multiple states and dozens of school districts to get through this one.

That, and bourbon. High west in the cart, along with TP, mac n cheese and contact fluid.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The only thing I'm really consciously stocking up on is baby formula...I'm not going crazy on it and we just use it to supplement the voracious little beast's diet anyway but I would rather have a few weeks of it on hand than be hunting for it if supplies begin to run low. That's my only real concern: slowdowns in big shipping, and then the shelves are empty of some specific items at Walmart or whatever.

But I also have this weird obsession with stockpiling Irish Spring bar soap. I don't know what it is but I'm super paraniod about running low on soap and once in a while I walk into a Walmart and they have six bars for $1.37 or whatever and I always buy six more bars of Irish Spring and now I have what is probably a five year supply at home and a fifty year supply at the cabin. I think I read a thing once about running out of soap, or the importance of soap in creating a first world living standard, or something like that, and it clearly left me mentally scarred because I own a humourous amount of soap now.

I also have about five gallons of bleach in every building I stay in, for similar kinds of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post

But I also have this weird obsession with stockpiling Irish Spring bar soap...

You’re a strong man, brother. Most def a strong man.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I own a humourous amount of soap...
    Quote of the Day!

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    For the lulz!

For the lulz!
    C'mon, now you can legitimately say "for the children child!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    U.S. Health Workers Responding to Coronavirus Lacked Training and Protective Gear, Whistle-Blower Says

WASHINGTON — Federal health employees interacted with Americans quarantined for possible exposure to the coronavirus without proper medical training or protective gear, then scattered into the general population, according to a government whistle-blower.

In a portion of a complaint filing obtained by The New York Times that has been submitted to the Office of the Special Counsel, the whistle-blower, described as a senior leader at the Department of Health and Human Services, said the team was “improperly deployed” to two military bases in California to assist the processing of Americans who had been evacuated from coronavirus hot zones in China and elsewhere.

The staff members were sent to Travis Air Force Base and March Air Reserve Base and were ordered to enter quarantined areas, including a hangar where coronavirus evacuees were being received. They were not provided training in safety protocols until five days later, the person said.

Without proper training or equipment, some of the exposed staff members moved freely around and off the bases, with at least one person staying in a nearby hotel and leaving California on a commercial flight. Many were unaware of the need to test their temperature three times a day.
    Click for more. If true, this is really bad.

Site Supporter
    A number of large companies are starting to cancel business travel. Obviously no travel to China but also South Korea and Italy - discussions about limiting travel to more of Europe. Was at a business conference today and the hot topic was all of the cancelled events. I live near Atlanta - I suspect that Delta Airlines may be a good stock buy soon.

User Tag List