Page 502 of 725 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512552602 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post

Today, President Trump said that he is taking hydroxychloroquine, and then that he'd been taking it for weeks. That can't be true, could it? When we discussed it before, I thought it had significant cardiovascular risk in people like, well, the President.
    I dunno where that comes from. I have a difficult time going along with most conspiracies about this but the rampant shilling against hydroxychloroquine is just weird.

It's a 50 year old medicine and people act like Trump cooked it up in the White House garage and started hocking it like patent medicine in the old West.

ProPublica story on how the Bay Area response differed from New York City's. It's a long read but worth it. Sounds like there was a lot of infighting between State and City offices in New York, and an unwillingness by the Governor and Mayor to recognize that there would be a real problem. It briefly mentions the difference in population density and use of mass transit but does not delve deeply into those factors.

https://www.propublica.org/article/t...=pocket-newtab

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I dunno where that comes from. I have a difficult time going along with most conspiracies about this but the rampant shilling against hydroxychloroquine is just weird.

It's a 50 year old medicine and people act like Trump cooked it up in the White House garage and started hocking it like patent medicine in the old West.
    Because it is a 50 year old medication, the risks of taking it are well understood. Sometimes, in certain patients, the risks vs. gains are worth it. For COVID-19, it appears that is not the case.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I see a pretty good analogy between guns and masks. Guns help us to stay safe, so do the masks. If mishandled, both can cause problems. If you can learn how to handle one correctly, you can do it for the other.
    I've kinda taken the "avoid stupid places" analogy. My rotating schedule makes it really easy for me to avoid crowds even if I do have to go out. Which I seldom do. Which is why I'm shit-posting more then normal.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've kinda taken the "avoid stupid places" analogy. My rotating schedule makes it really easy for me to avoid crowds even if I do have to go out. Which I seldom do. Which is why I'm shit-posting more then normal.
    I prefer the avoidance too. You know, it's been weird around here. This weekend I needed to buy groceries and also get some weed killer, so, Harmon's and Lowe's. Two different worlds. Harmon's, most people in masks, generally trying to distance, just obviously cognizant. Lowe's, totally opposite. I am not judging, the state went from red to orange to yellow in a span of 2 weeks (despite exactly the same % positives from tested people) so people do whatever they do. I am just amazed at the polarity of behaviors.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I prefer the avoidance too. You know, it's been weird around here. This weekend I needed to buy groceries and also get some weed killer, so, Harmon's and Lowe's. Two different worlds. Harmon's, most people in masks, generally trying to distance, just obviously cognizant. Lowe's, totally opposite. I am not judging, the state went from red to orange to yellow in a span of 2 weeks (despite exactly the same % positives from tested people) so people do whatever they do. I am just amazed at the polarity of behaviors.
    People don't do well under red for long periods of time. Either they get complacent, or they break down.

A point I've tried to repeatedly make about shutdowns- governments can only do that for so long, and then it don't work so good no more.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I just now saw that the nations's death number is 92,000 which is a sum that surprises me. Though I favor sensible reopening strategy, I fear that the junk will reignite as people return to work and play. Having worked in corrections, I suspect that facility lockdown is a control method. I foresee prisons becoming ticking time bombs as inmates begin to react militantly against ill treatment both real and imagined. If they had good judgment, these folks would be elsewhere. Many but not all are incredibly stupid.

Today I went to Sam's and found masks for sale. Later at my gym I saw signs requiring glove use. I'm not quite certain that emphasizing glove use is a good idea unless people put them on when entering a facility and then discard them when they exit. I saw people wearing work gloves which will transmit the virus from one place to another including carrying it to the person's house. When taking delinquents to ER's to be sewed up after fights, I enraged the folks doing the suturing when I pointed out that they violated protocol, which I at one time taught to medical personnel. They were protecting themselves but not the patients. While inspecting food establishments, I observed widespread failure to use gloves correctly. Can we expect the common man to demonstrate correct glove use when professionals do not?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Because it is a 50 year old medication, the risks of taking it are well understood. Sometimes, in certain patients, the risks vs. gains are worth it. For COVID-19, it appears that is not the case.
    You know the White House has a pretty good doctor right? I understand not wanting panicked masses stealing Grandpa's Lupus medicine but at this point accepting that it has a role as a prophylactic seems pretty straightforward.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    You know the White House has a pretty good doctor right? I understand not wanting panicked masses stealing Grandpa's Lupus medicine but at this point accepting that it has a role as a prophylactic seems pretty straightforward.
    I wonder how long the White House doctor would be the White House doctor if he told Trump no.

Kind of makes you wonder why staffers and aides are getting it if we have access to a prophylactic.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I wonder how long the White House doctor would be the White House doctor if he told Trump no.

Kind of makes you wonder why staffers and aides are getting it if we have access to a prophylactic.
    This is getting to be the politics thread, but the doctor released a statement that says that, after many discussions, he and the President agreed the benefits outweighed the risks.

It does not explicitly say that the President has been given or is taking the drug. That statement is pretty conspicuous in its absence.

User Tag List