Page 49 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149549 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Ok, so what is the proper/professional way to use hand sanitizer? Just smear it on? Smear it for at least 20 seconds? Use with a brush for under the nails? Wipe off, or leave for a period of time?

As an OCD hand washer.. I've never thought I actually needed sanitizer, however given the potential situation...
    Most people use hand sanitizer incorrectly (including me). You are supposed to drench your hands with the stuff as if you are washing your hands with soap and water and rub your hands together until the sanitizer is completely dry. Just putting it on your hands accomplishes very little; the hand rubbing is the key. For the truly OCD, the CDC has an excellent video out there on how to properly wash your hands. It's quite the process.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Most people use hand sanitizer incorrectly (including me). You are supposed to drench your hands with the stuff as if you are washing your hands with soap and water and rub your hands together until the sanitizer is completely dry. Just putting it on your hands accomplishes very little; the hand rubbing is the key. For the truly OCD, the CDC has an excellent video out there on how to properly wash your hands. It's quite the process.
    Locally the grocery stores have added a hand sanitizer station with wipes to wipe down the handle of grocery carts when you take one.

Was just thinking that having supplies of latex/nitrile gloves to don when entering such places for such activities might be a better course of action is the shit hits the fan.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Locally the grocery stores have added a hand sanitizer station with wipes to wipe down the handle of grocery carts when you take one.

Was just thinking that having supplies of latex/nitrile gloves to don when entering such places for such activities might be a better course of action is the shit hits the fan.
    Our local supermarket has had those available for years. (And hand sanitizer on the counters in the meat department.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

All this talk about washing hands properly, desinfecting everything, scrupulous hygiene requirements, yadda, yadda... basically means we'll all get it around here if the outbreak gets out of control in the region...

Hopefully is contained somewhere else, or is not as bad as advertised. Our inmune systems are getting a workout this year.

Site Supporter
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...in-the-country

Coronavirus infects woman in Japan for the second time, a first in the country

Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” said Philip Tierno Jr., professor of microbiology and pathology at NYU School of Medicine, according to the news organization.

The virus can reportedly spread without symptoms showing up, which forces officials to play catch up and makes it far more difficult to manage.

Health officials analyzed the implications of a patient testing positive after having an initial recovery. Second positive tests have been reported in China.

“I’m not certain that this is not bi-phasic, like anthrax,” Tierno Jr. said in regards to the disease being able to go away before reappearing.
    What are the medical professionals thoughts on the question of re-infection vs the virus being bi-phasic as with Anthrax?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    FWIW, too, soap and water is better than the alcohol hand sanitizer, but obviously not as accessible on the go.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    People may decide to make medium-distance trips by car rather than fly, to lessen their exposure to those in their latent period with the disease. That ignores the increased chances of an accident in a car as opposed to flying commercially.

Last week, I was in the library. A 20-something woman fainted while using the printing station. Staff rushed over to help her. She said that she has the flu and it makes her lose her balance. (I was too far away, or I would have been one of the first ones there.)

Think about that: She's too sick to stand safely, but for whatever reason, she went out to a public place. I suspect that a lot of people are like that: Tehy have something to do, may even believe it's of great urgency, and they're going to go out when they're sick.

In the immortal words of John Creighton, "We are so screwed!"
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Thoughts on this from our medics? One’s in French but the one in English is more or less parallel in suggesting that a cheap, common anti-malaria drug (chloroquine phosphate) is likely effective against Coronavirus associated pneumonia.

https://www.lesechos.fr/amp/1179780

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32074550
    These are both entirely speculative.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Maybe you can snag a 1st class seat with a coach ticket. I've always wanted to fly 1st class. Once I inquired about an upgrade. Then I knew I was nobody.
    Flight and hotel upgrades to/in China and HK were lavish as SARS was waning in 2003. Travel providers were elated to have any guests at all in some places. The only time I saw fewer people in my hotel was early-season at Mt. Cook, on the South Island of NZ. We had a wing of a floor to ourselves at the Hermitage. Less than a dozen people at breakfast. Felt like The Shining.

I remember my first time flying on a 747. I snagged 1st class tickets using FF miles. 1st class was up in the nose of the aircraft, under the flight deck. Mid flight we asked the flight attendant if we could visit the upper deck. I'd never been on an aircraft with a staircase. As he led us up the stairs he turned to me and said, with a wrinkled nose like something was smelly, "remember, this is just business class". LOL. Clearly he didn't know we were flying on FF miles.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Symptomatically will be just like the flu so whatever you do OTC for those kinds of symptoms. If you are sicker than you can manage yourself at home with the basic contents of a Walgreens you should see a healthcare professional.
    So the standard avoid sick people in crowded places, and up the germaphobe DEFCON rating one notch.

eta: please don't think i'm trying to wear the aluminum foil right now. I personally don't think and don't suspect this will go all Black Death on CONUS, but I'm also smart enough to know that I don't know shit about this thing really, so I just wanted to check in and see if some of the Smart People on here had a differing opinion or some suggestions beyond the normal.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 02-27-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List