Page 479 of 725 FirstFirst ... 379429469477478479480481489529579 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,790 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...HrAtdf3LoTOUiY

Pitt researcher who was studying coronavirus was victim in Ross murder-suicide
    Name:  577BC3AB-C1F9-48F6-9F02-AD567C44FBD0.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  43.8 KB

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post

That said, Quebec appears to be struggling with it, and to a lesser degree Ontario. A lot has been made of the timing of Spring Break as a reason for this - BC's Spring Break week is two weeks later than the eastern provinces for some reason - and by the time it occurred we had more information and were telling people not to travel unnecessarily. But personally I am skeptical of this as a major factor - we have more international travel to mainland China and Iran from Vancouver than they do, by far, and there was an absolutely enormous number of flights from Hubei landing at YVR for weeks and weeks and weeks at the height of the epidemic, and no screening of any sort was taking place. So while we might have caught a break on spring break, I can hardly believe that the amount of travel it would have generated would even really make a dent on our numbers.

To be honest, if I had to guess, and this is purely a guess and nothing more...we had spectacular weather for most of March and the first half of April. Everyone was outside, walking around, in parks, on trails, at the beach...but mostly staying six feet apart.

I think it's possible that being outside all the time, while socially distancing, lowered transmission rates. During the same time frame, everybody in Ontario and Quebec would have been indoors, avoiding late winter-early spring weather. Again just a guess, but it strikes me that people staying inside all the time are putting themselves in environments that are probably more conducive to transmitting viral respiratory illnesses than people who are outside a much greater percentage of the time.

The only other factors I can think of to explain Quebec would be cultural: the cheek kiss is a standard greeting there, although I imagine that's fallen off these days.

There is also a much greater tendency to rely on the state or other institutions to provide certain things than there is elsewhere in Canada. Here, I'd say you don't put your parents into a care home unless you HAVE to do so. There, there is much more of an attitude of "so what, I am living my life, you go to the home, that's for you tabarnac" so I bet their numbers in care homes are much higher. In fact, realizing I was about to post this without checking it at all, I looked it up: Quebeckers over the age of 65 are about 3x more likely to live in a private seniors' residence than in the rest of the country. This lines up with my seat-of-the-pants experience of Quebec. I suspect there are a bunch of factors like this adding to their woes - I know they transferred a bunch of people from hospitals to care facilities in the early days of the outbreak in order to free up hospital beds, for example...this may well have seeded clusters in care homes and killed a lot of people.

Anyway bottom line here is that taking basic steps seems to be totally adequate and we're not experiencing a lot of problems, and the scale of the problems we are having, keeps shrinking week after week. I expect a bit of a surge of cases in the fall, but as far as we can tell here, we're really equipped to handle this thing and it just doesn't seem to be as bad as we expected.
    So here's an interesting follow-up...I remembered after posting this that Quebec had initially had much higher social distancing scores than anywhere in North America, when Google released their data a month ago. So I went and looked up the current data.

Quebec has consistently had higher levels of avoidance of every category of public space in Google's database, and higher levels of staying at home. In particular, compared to BC where I am, they've been carrying out the social distancing much more aggressively.

And most notably here...park use in BC is UP about 65%.

I therefore conclude that whatever is working here, and not working there...it's not just a matter of social distancing. They're doing more of that than we are and have been from the get-go.

And whatever issues we might have here...it doesn't look like increased use of public park space is part of the problem, because we're way above our baseline numbers for that and we're having more success fighting this than any state or province with a population of over 5 million.

Site Supporter
    So here's an interesting follow-up...I remembered after posting this that Quebec had initially had much higher social distancing scores than anywhere in North America, when Google released their data a month ago. So I went and looked up the current data.

Quebec has consistently had higher levels of avoidance of every category of public space in Google's database, and higher levels of staying at home. In particular, compared to BC where I am, they've been carrying out the social distancing much more aggressively.

And most notably here...park use in BC is UP about 65%.

I therefore conclude that whatever is working here, and not working there...it's not just a matter of social distancing. They're doing more of that than we are and have been from the get-go.

And whatever issues we might have here...it doesn't look like increased use of public park space is part of the problem, because we're way above our baseline numbers for that and we're having more success fighting this than any state or province with a population of over 5 million.
    Maybe there are more multi-generational homes in Quebec?

I suspect fewer, actually, for three reasons:

1) much greater use of private care homes for the elderly in Quebec, about three times higher

2) much higher real estate prices in BC...probably also about three times higher

3) very large South Asian population in BC, with much less cultural aversion to multigenerational homes than westerners.

ED visits are dramatically lower since the start of the pandemic. Stroke patients are not coming in until it's too late to treat.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ks-and-strokes

"This is the fatal fallout that U.S. doctors have feared for weeks, as they've tracked a worrying trend: As the pandemic took hold, the number of patients showing up at hospitals with serious cardiovascular emergencies such as strokes and heart attacks has shrunk dramatically.

Across the country, doctors call the drop-off staggering, unlike anything they've seen before in their careers. And they worry a new wave of patients is headed their way, patients who have delayed care and will now be sicker and more injured when they finally arrive in emergency rooms.

It has alarmed certain medical groups, like the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association, which is running ads to urge people to call 911 when they're having symptoms of a heart attack or stroke."

I suspect fewer, actually, for three reasons:

1) much greater use of private care homes for the elderly in Quebec, about three times higher

2) much higher real estate prices in BC...probably also about three times higher

3) very large South Asian population in BC, with much less cultural aversion to multigenerational homes than westerners.
    Might 1) have more to do with it?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Might 1) have more to do with it?
    It definitely might, although the private care homes used there have only had about half of the deaths - I suspect because the average age of people moving into them is lower than anywhere else in the country.

So the concentration of greater numbers of older people into group living is almost certainly part of the issue, but it's not all of the issue.

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/...46730366951426

Nice simple comparison showing how much worse the US is doing than Spain and Italy

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/...46730366951426

Nice simple comparison showing how much worse the US is doing than Spain and Italy
    What were their daily testing numbers like?

I can't tell from that graphic if you're worse at mitigation, or better at testing. Seems like a strange metric to base anything on.

Besides, if you exclude NYC and its suburbs... you guys are doing pretty well. Not much worse than us and we're opening up.

What were their daily testing numbers like?

I can't tell from that graphic if you're worse at mitigation, or better at testing. Seems like a strange metric to base anything on.

Besides, if you exclude NYC and its suburbs... you guys are doing pretty well. Not much worse than us and we're opening up.
    Italy for sure is testing a greater % of its population than we are.

Disagree with your second statement. Once you remove NY/NJ/CT from the data, hospitalizations and positive cases across the US are still trending UP. While it is true that NY/NJ/CT data is trending down, this area had huge case numbers and were heavily weighting nation-wide stats, creating a "false plateau" nationally if you will

User Tag List