Page 45 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145545 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Holy fucking stupidity batman.

Is there not a reporter capable of asking......

"Mr President, what can you tell us about the real transmission rates and real mortality rates associated with this virus?".
    “The transmissions rates are huge, they’re fantastic, they’re the best transmission rates we’ve ever seen”

In all seriousness the best answer I could hope for from any politician for that question is “technical questions about the corona virus will be fielded Dr. XXXX the representative of our epidemiological team that has been assigned the complex problem of dealing with the situation.”

Fuck getting those kinds of answers from politicians who don’t have the education or a true understanding of the problem.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 02-26-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Anybody buy any stocks today.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well...I'm dead.

I've got a Bandholz right now and at best - at best I'd cut back to a circle. I haven't seen my chin in 14 years and until I'm convinced it is literally life or death, I'm unlikely to see it again. Until my doctor assuaged my concern about having to shave my mustache for my nose surgery, I thought I might have to cancel the surgery, seriously. I almost forewent surgery to save my facial hair (fortunately, I did not have to).
    It grows back. I shaved my beard back somewhere around 1990 and it grew back pretty fast but not fast enough. One and only time I shaved it. I've had my full beard since I was discharged from the Navy in 71. My Iraqi barber cuts it down to long stubble but it's back in a month. I hate shaving. It's a waste of time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    In case anyone needs this fantastic use of tax dollars in full resolution, here’s a link to the PDF:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs...282017-508.pdf
    Glad they could clarify that. What would we do without the fed?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Yes, I did. I had thought about moving into SH if it looked like the market was going to keep dropping, but instead it looked pretty flat to me so I went after AMZN, which was under $2000 at close for the first time in quite a while.

I think screwed up supply chain will temporarily hurt AMZN but it'll recover and I think it will be a good long term investment. So I will probably keep buying.

Interestingly BDX is up a little today but still back down to prices I have not seen since last spring so I may put more money there.

I'm also interested in AAPL - I was waiting to see if there were jitters about their supply chain but they didn't get hammered too hard, although they're about thirty bucks off their peak, I think. But they might not get much cheaper.

Lastly I think COKE will rally early tomorrow so if you want to catch a fast day trade that could be it in the morning. But I was really busy at work for most of the day and didn't spend much time thinking this stuff over so I didn't make any moves that took more than a few seconds to think over. AMZN was the buy I was after.

I should also point out that I'm not a particularly hard core market guy, I just invest in businesses that I think have a good outlook. Other than that I just buy ETFs that replicate the index. Once a month or so if a day trade falls into my lap I'll move on it, but it usually has to be pretty enticing. If I see a stock I know pretty well drop below what I consider its core support level, I'll buy in to catch an upswing I'm confident is coming. Being in the telecom game where I am, I do this with SJR, for example. It has a decent dividend so it's never too bad to keep, but it moves up and down within a pretty predictable zone, so sometimes I'll move a few thousand dollars in and out and take a bit of profit.

But I am not a hard core market guy and I am not someone anyone should ask advice from. I just take my small wins and try to put them into businesses that I think have a good long term outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Hey, at least it's a nice quick reference to beard types.
    Good for barbers.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If you shop on Amazon, it's all already sold.
    And the Chinese turned around the boats carrying the replacement goods.

Snooze you.... sneeze?
    I hear GM is now producing masks. This is like WW2 when they made Carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Yes, I did. I had thought about moving into SH if it looked like the market was going to keep dropping, but instead it looked pretty flat to me so I went after AMZN, which was under $2000 at close for the first time in quite a while.

I think screwed up supply chain will temporarily hurt AMZN but it'll recover and I think it will be a good long term investment. So I will probably keep buying.

Interestingly BDX is up a little today but still back down to prices I have not seen since last spring so I may put more money there.

I'm also interested in AAPL - I was waiting to see if there were jitters about their supply chain but they didn't get hammered too hard, although they're about thirty bucks off their peak, I think. But they might not get much cheaper.

Lastly I think COKE will rally early tomorrow so if you want to catch a fast day trade that could be it in the morning. But I was really busy at work for most of the day and didn't spend much time thinking this stuff over so I didn't make any moves that took more than a few seconds to think over. AMZN was the buy I was after.

I should also point out that I'm not a particularly hard core market guy, I just invest in businesses that I think have a good outlook. Other than that I just buy ETFs that replicate the index. Once a month or so if a day trade falls into my lap I'll move on it, but it usually has to be pretty enticing. If I see a stock I know pretty well drop below what I consider its core support level, I'll buy in to catch an upswing I'm confident is coming. Being in the telecom game where I am, I do this with SJR, for example. It has a decent dividend so it's never too bad to keep, but it moves up and down within a pretty predictable zone, so sometimes I'll move a few thousand dollars in and out and take a bit of profit.

But I am not a hard core market guy and I am not someone anyone should ask advice from. I just take my small wins and try to put them into businesses that I think have a good long term outlook.
    I used to make money betting the horses at Turf Paradise but I have no idea (mathematically) how I did that. I really couldn't explain it to anyone. I had a system but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Lets just say it was by feel.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-26-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post

Just prepare for the usual. Food, water, other necessities.
    This.

Folks, listen up (and when have you *ever* heard me say that around here before, so, listen up).

I talked to my friend who directs our pathogen center this morning. If you missed my earlier post, there are two places in the US currently housing patients: here, and Omaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Closer to home, we’ve got a series of patients in my neck of the woods:

The guy who runs the pathogen unit in the above story is a friend of mine; when I get a chance I’ll talk to him, since he’s probably treated as many coronavirus patients as anyone who isn’t a Chinese national at this point.

The BLUF:

Survivability for serious cases—with access to USA-level healthcare is very good.

There is a whole lot of thought, energy, and major dough being put into this, and communities are laying groundwork for what could be hundreds of thousands of cases in major areas. Hospitals are already converting and equipping wings to hold potential patients in preparation for that level of infection.

The food, water and keeping gas in the car is a good idea, just in case going to the store becomes unworkable for a few weeks.

JMO, but I did talk to one of the top guys in the country on this. I actually caught him in the airport, on the way to a response planning conference, so response planning is a thing.

That’s it, for general discussion.

Oh, and I won’t personally be getting price-gouged on masks. Anything that works requires regular recertification on use, and is pretty uncomfortable. I wouldn’t worry about a mask, unless you are already getting one as part of your gig.

Again, JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This.

Folks, listen up (and when have you *ever* heard me say that around here before, so, listen up).

I talked to my friend who directs our pathogen center this morning. If you missed my earlier post, there are two places in the US currently housing patients: here, and Omaha.

The BLUF:

Survivability for serious cases—with access to USA-level healthcare is very good.

There is a whole lot of thought, energy, and major dough being put into this, and communities are laying groundwork for what could be hundreds of thousands of cases in major areas. Hospitals are already converting and equipping wings to hold potential patients in preparation for that level of infection.

The food, water and keeping gas in the car is a good idea, just in case going to the store becomes unworkable for a few weeks.

JMO, but I did talk to one of the top guys in the country on this. I actually caught him in the airport, on the way to a response planning conference, so response planning is a thing.

That’s it, for general discussion.

Oh, and I won’t personally be getting price-gouged on masks. Anything that works requires regular recertification on use, and is pretty uncomfortable. I wouldn’t worry about a mask, unless you are already getting one as part of your gig.

Again, JMO.
    Well shit, then it's real. Have to go shopping tomorrow I guess. I'll talk to my neighbor the sheriff to see what their plans are. They must have a plan, right?

User Tag List