Page 439 of 725 FirstFirst ... 339389429437438439440441449489539 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,390 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    3 more coworkers have it, one clerk two nurses. So for n/v diarrhea fever chills all around. One has mild cough and mild DIB/SOB. All expected to be back after their paid 14 days off.

Proning continues help, as does not initially rushing to intervene when sats dip to levels we aren’t used to. Seeing more Vapotherm nc. Not much new to report. PPE supply is adequate. And we are getting tons of free food haha.

Our system sends out an email daily with #s coming off vents, deaths. Etc. and a graph that shows an aggressive down turn in new +/ pending admits.

-typed on phone, just observations.

We're seeing increase in inpatients and icu patients in my facility but no system wide data. Last week we were at a point of 1 icu bed left, between covid and noncovid patients. We were able to open few beds since, and our icu docs were able to get a 19 yo positive pt off the vent and out of icu.
    At the same time, we're judiciously increasing elective work. Nothing crazy but some.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Student
    If you haven't been keeping up on Greg Ellifritz and Tam's blogs, you might not have seen Morgan Atwood's writeups about current circumstances. Here's a great primer on masks and respirators.

https://www.noonecoming.com/masks-re...s-and-covid19/

The big problem is that humans aren't all that good at sitting back and doing nothing.
    Bored people do stupid things that are against their own self interest- cf people in prison. People also have a hard time grokking threats until they affect them personally.

But, using government to force people to act in their own self interest can backfire in the long run- especially when idiot government people go on power trips like ticketing solitary paddle boarders or close down trails or other displays of petty tyranny.

Having a plan to lift the lockdown is a very good thing, with possible dates and such. Trying to keep people locked down indefinitely will lead to a lot of horrific outcomes.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

We’ve now converted one floor level unit(routine med), one PCU/IMC/step down, and one icu back to non covid units.
    This is in a 600~ lic bed level 2 trauma hospital.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not as deadly as thought and a lot more people with antibodies than thought

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ht-11587155298
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post

New Data Suggest the Coronavirus Isn’t as Deadly as We Thought - WSJ
    That's the Ioannidis paper I posted earlier. There are a lot of caveats to their study and my brain isn't really in the right shape to explain them. Suffice to say is encouraging news, but far from definitive. I'm still concerned that it doesn't explain why NYC is so swamped.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    That's the Ioannidis paper I posted earlier. There are a lot of caveats to their study and my brain isn't really in the right shape to explain them. Suffice to say is encouraging news, but far from definitive. I'm still concerned that it doesn't explain why NYC is so swamped.
    Swamped with what cases or deaths.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

For the medical community!!! Could COVID-19 be causing DIFFUSION hypoxemia??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRlvX3VrAQ

ICU/ER doc in NYC, short video with a theory about what COVID-19 is doing to people and why ventilator use is maybe not the correct treatment. He has been questioning the use of ventilators for a couple of weeks. I'm wondering what those of you on the front lines think.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Swamped with what cases or deaths.
    Both. Sick patients, in general. Even in a bad influenza season, for example, you don't have entire hospitals full to capacity with dyspneic COVID+ only patients. Even though our locale is doing relatively OK right now, our ICU at the university hospital is at ~250 percent of its normal capacity. We haven't had a ton of deaths, which is great, but 60 intubated patients is an eye popping number for our hospital.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ht-11587155298
    We discussed it a page above a bit, but I still don't get what "a lot more people with antibodies" means, when even with the highest estimate of antibody positivity, over 95% of tested people weren't immune. I had actually hoped that a lot more people were already immune to this thing.
    My, admittedly limited, understanding of this subject is that for a pathogen with Ro of 2 we need 50% of population immune/vaccinated to afford a herd immunity.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List