Page 432 of 725 FirstFirst ... 332382422430431432433434442482532 ... LastLast
Results 4,311 to 4,320 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Luckily I've been really aggressive about taking advantage of the longitudinal preceptorship program here, so I've been in either the ER or the OR at least a couple times a month since starting PhD. Thanks to the ER experience I have a decent grasp on how to do a quick and focused H&P and SOAP note for an undifferentiated "not sick" patient. Obviously the "P" in SOAP note will be a challenge as "pending surgery recs" probably won't be acceptable for inpatient medicine... but I feel very comfortable in the clinic. Returning to MS3 will be hard, but I am really looking forward to it

Agreed. Our school of medicine is designing an outrageously ridiculous new curriculum that fortunately I will not be subjected to if I graduate on time. Here is a little infographic that explains it quite nicely. It is mindblowingly stupid.

The part that I am the most upset with is the transition to all LICs instead of traditional clerkships. Essentially, instead of rotating with depts/divs, you are assigned a site and a preceptor and are given individual patients to follow all across the hospital over the length of their stay and at their f/u appts. It blows me away that anyone thinks this would be a good idea. The saddest thing is that I sit on our curriculum steering committee and have been utterly powerless to do anything about this despite raising plenty of objection.
    FYI, for Colorado liberals: Wyoming is full, sorry. The moose at the front gate should have told you.
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    FYI, for Colorado liberals: Wyoming is full, sorry. The moose at the front gate should have told you.
    Really? it looked pretty empty the few times I've driven through it

When I came across this picture and it's back story here, for strange reasons of how my brain and emotions are wired, what I heard in my head was

EIGHTY SECOND!
    PATCH ON MY SHOULDER!

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/ax...q8oafXc#story9

Attachment 52128
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    This came to me last night and maybe some of you know this. What is going on with trials and juries? Are they still running? How do social distancing and masks work out in a court room?

Do wearing masks influence a trial?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This came to me last night and maybe some of you know this. What is going on with trials and juries? Are they still running? How do social distancing and masks work out in a court room?

Do wearing masks influence a trial?

Our courtrooms are currently closed for jury trials. They are open for certain parts of the judicial system that must run daily. I've got half a dozen subpoenas that will all hit when we come back in session, probably while we are still dealing with COVID decedents.

Site Supporter
    Might some folks argue that they were denied a speedy trial if this goes on a long time? Just a thought?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Might some folks argue that they were denied a speedy trial if this goes on a long time? Just a thought?
    At least for most of the cases I do (Homicide), a speedy trial is several years away. 1-2 is average. I'll let either the attorneys or the cops in the room talk about less dramatic cases.

I don't think speedy means what most people think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Really? it looked pretty empty the few times I've driven through it
    Clear fields of fire.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    It is a matter of public record in the WDMO that generally speaking, most proceedings are being continued until May 3, 2020 at this time.

Emergent matters are still being handled live (bank robbers, DT suspects, hands on child exploitation, issuance of some search and arrest warrants etc.)

Many urgent matters to include sentencings and changes of plea are starting to be handled via video with the consent of all parties.

Individual judges may handle their caseloads and hearings as they see fit. Most are proceeding as outlined above.

Logistically, it would be difficult, but not impossible to seat a trial (petit) jury and maintain social distancing in my courthouse, one group of potential jurors 48ish, for one trial at a time.

Conducting a jury trial with all parities 6 ft apart would be difficult but not impossible. Obviously, I would be sitting closer than 6 ft to my case agent or paralegal at my table as would the defense atty would be to their client.

Presuming one defendant, their would be 2 marshals and one court security officer (CSO) in the courtroom. Once court was in session, the marshals could be 6 feet from the defendant, but could not be when they move them in and out of the court room. The CSO could stay 6 feet away from the def but may not be able to do from spectators as they entered the court room.

Edited to Add-Speedy Trial time calculations are specifically excluding this COVID-19 down time. I strongly suspect that such an argument under the vast majority of circumstances is going nowhere, at least on the federal level.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Laramie WY. is a pretty nice little town.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List