Page 424 of 725 FirstFirst ... 324374414422423424425426434474524 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,240 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Impossible for me to say, have to wait for real studies. I'd take it tho! :-D

a few pts have had the azith held pending QT shortening, but if you end up needing that in-pt, theyll get an EKG on u in ER so prob not something you need to think about.
    Totally understand, I just meant in your direct experience have you noticed anything better or worse for the patients getting the combo vs not getting it?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Beaumont in MI is about to test 40,000 (staff) volunteers for antibodies, pretty cool.

Past 4 nights were pretty uneventful. Heard Pulm team seeing good responses with Vapotherm nc. Things seem to be more relaxed in my hospital. The 1st few weeks when no one knew how much they desated and how quick- caused some concern, bc we are used to decent sats, esp with HFNC or NRB. But now we know these ppl can be ok at 89%, assuming they arent wokring too hard.

For any nurses reading, id encourage you to push the IS HARD as soon as admitted, while they are still on nc or RA. The speed at which they seem to go from 4L to 15L hi-flow to NRB is fast, so the IS window is short. Seems like they come in on RA or 2-4L, and then BOOM HFNC 10-15 or NRB, esp if they waited 5 or so days before getting checked out. Then CPAP/Bipap. The ones that can tolerate them seem to have improved after a few days... in my tiny little sample.

As for the young ppl getting sick, who knows- but in my experience this population doesnt always admit to vaping or smoking pot- which is legal in MI.
    By IS are you referring to incentive spirometers? Saying patients using them earlier tend to fare better then ones not?

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I think a similar situation may be brewing with the Imperial College model that got a lot of press early in COVID-19.

In terms of software best practices, "dumpster fire" might be a kind assessment. When I started digging into it, I felt like I was looking at a disaster on the scale of Fukushima in software engineering.

I'm just waiting to see if the story gets told in a way that connects with the public. Just know that anybody with a compiler, a few books, and a talent for self-promotion can write something and call it a "computer model." The questions are (1) has the model been correct in the past, (2) has it been tuned based on actual results, and (3) is it open for review?

The US seems to be favoring the IHME model so it may not be as relevant to us.
    For those who are interested, many organizations, including mine, are using U Penn CHIME model instead https://penn-chime.phl.io/. I don't know anything about models, but it seem obvious how many variables are subject to error or guesswork, and how many of them may change over the time, leading to either inaccuracies or change in projections.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Huh....... that's interesting. I didn't know they could get enough volume from a finger stick.... I've only ever done ELISAs for research purposes, but I needed a reasonable amount of sample for the ones I've done.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    With my minimal knowledge of phlebotomy and thus not doing well at reading between the medical lines here - is this a finger stick test? Kinda curious how this goes with remote/mail-in delivery.
    You need 384 well plates. Reaction volume is 25 ul per well, so depending on your starting dilution, you can do a lot with just a tiny bit of sample. The starting dilution for the first published serology assay for SARS-CoV-2 used a starting dilution of 1:50. Getting your personal system down for loading the 384's is key. Once you work past that, it's zen like. I really detest 96-well plates for ELISA now. NIAID hopefully can work with 1,536-well plates which would stretch the sample even farther. I've not dealt with those, but my previous lab couldn't get them to work. I haven't seen any details about the NIAID study yet, but likely you prick your finger, catch a couple of drops in a tube, let it clot in the mail, and then they measure antibodies in the serum. Antibodies are tough and they'll be fine at ambient temperature during transit.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    You need 384 well plates. Reaction volume is 25 ul per well, so depending on your starting dilution, you can do a lot with just a tiny bit of sample. The starting dilution for the first published serology assay for SARS-CoV-2 used a starting dilution of 1:50. Getting your personal system down for loading the 384's is key. Once you work past that, it's zen like. I really detest 96-well plates for ELISA now. NIAID hopefully can work with 1,536-well plates which would stretch the sample even farther. I've not dealt with those, but my previous lab couldn't get them to work. I haven't seen any details about the NIAID study yet, but likely you prick your finger, catch a couple of drops in a tube, let it clot in the mail, and then they measure antibodies in the serum. Antibodies are tough and they'll be fine at ambient temperature during transit.
    Never worked with a 384 well plate. Just thinking about that makes my eyes hurt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Never worked with a 384 well plate. Just thinking about that makes my eyes hurt.
    The adjustment period was unpleasant but for me it was worth it. The trick is to use non-fat powdered dry milk in your buffer and put the plate on top of red biohazard bags while you load it. The white milk on red bags makes for a very visible contrast, so it's easy to keep up with where you are on the plate. Also, you really need an electronic repeat pipetter for these--and an automatic plate washer.

Site Supporter
    As if healthcare workers didn’t have enough to worry about. This has implications for all medical personnel and first responders. “thank you for your service”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/er-doctor...er-coronavirus

ER doctor temporarily loses custody of 4-year-old daughter over coronavirus concerns

A divorced emergency room physician lost custody of her 4-year-old daughter after a Florida judge ruled the child's "safety and welfare" were compromised because of potential exposure to coronavirus due to the mother's occupation.

Dr. Theresa Greene told NBC News that her ex-husband, Eric Greene, asked for an emergency order for sole custody of their daughter -- who they had shared joint custody -- for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic and his order was granted.

"I feel like the family court system now is stressing me almost more than the virus. I mean this is a very stressful time for health care professionals," Greene said.

Despite testing negative for coronavirus and following the American Medical Association’s guidance for first responders and frontline physicians during this global health crisis -- which states that health care professionals can interact and live with their families if they take necessary health precautions -- Circuit Judge Bernard Shapiro ruled that the child's health is in danger and gave the father sole custody.

"In order to protect the best interests of the minor child, including but not limited to the minor child’s safety and welfare, this Court temporarily suspends the Former Wife’s timesharing until further Order of Court," Shapiro wrote in his ruling. "The suspension is solely related to the outbreak of COVID-19.”
    I know I’m not alone, first responders, nurses, so many people in this position who, because they’re divorced, their children are suffering and they're being told they can’t see them, and it’s just not fair,” Greene added.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-14-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As if healthcare workers didn’t have enough to worry about. “thank you for your service”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/er-doctor...er-coronavirus

ER doctor temporarily loses custody of 4-year-old daughter over coronavirus concerns
    Fuck that judge and the ex husband with broken bottles. Assholes, both.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Fuck that judge and the ex husband with broken bottles. Assholes, both.
    Very well said.

Yep, incentive spirometer. Can’t say w certainty it makes a difference, but I don’t see how it could do any harm.. maybe pulm can chime in on this one?

My point was more so that, assuming it can help- the window of time is small for the typical floor/IMC pt before they have something over their mouth that prevents them from using.

Also, if you have someone that it looking like a future cpap bipap, an anti anxiety order would be helpful to get.

No thanks needed, seriously. I think the truckers and grocery store workers are prob saving more ppl than nurses are.. imagine if they all quit.. now THAT’s a scary thought.
    Ya know who needs to be added to list of international praise that the nurses and docs are getting, is respiratory therapists! Their lack of public recognition is not right.

User Tag List