Page 414 of 725 FirstFirst ... 314364404412413414415416424464514 ... LastLast
Results 4,131 to 4,140 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Agreed. Our school of medicine is designing an outrageously ridiculous new curriculum that fortunately I will not be subjected to if I graduate on time. Here is a little infographic that explains it quite nicely. It is mindblowingly stupid.

The part that I am the most upset with is the transition to all LICs instead of traditional clerkships. Essentially, instead of rotating with depts/divs, you are assigned a site and a preceptor and are given individual patients to follow all across the hospital over the length of their stay and at their f/u appts. It blows me away that anyone thinks this would be a good idea. The saddest thing is that I sit on our curriculum steering committee and have been utterly powerless to do anything about this despite raising plenty of objection.
    I just threw up in my mouth and had to swallow it.

uggggh

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth and had to swallow it.

uggggh
    I've done that at every CSC meeting for the past two years. I am so glad I will complete the regular curriculum.

This isn't on the flowchart, but as of now it is planned to take Step 2 before Step 1, because it's "less important" and my school has had high rates of students delaying their Step 1 test date to a point that it throws their clerkships off cycle. Pay no mind to the fact that they are numbered Step 1, 2, and 3, as if they were somehow designed to be taken in a particular order...

However, they just recently announced that as of Jan 2022 Step 1 will be graded on a pass/fail basis (to alleviate ramping student anxiety about scores), but step 2 will still be graded numerically. I assume the original plan will have to be revisited.

I cannot wait to graduate.

All of the curriculum discussion is over my head, but I want to appreciate that that is the most Denver presentation graphic I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    All of the curriculum discussion is over my head, but I want to appreciate that that is the most Denver presentation graphic I have ever seen.
    It's just missing the Patagonia logo.

(I kid you not, I have 4 different Patagonias with our SOM logo and specific program affiliation embroidered on them.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Agreed. Our school of medicine is designing an outrageously ridiculous new curriculum that fortunately I will not be subjected to if I graduate on time. Here is a little infographic that explains it quite nicely. It is mindblowingly stupid.

The part that I am the most upset with is the transition to all LICs instead of traditional clerkships. Essentially, instead of rotating with depts/divs, you are assigned a site and a preceptor and are given individual patients to follow all across the hospital over the length of their stay and at their f/u appts. It blows me away that anyone thinks this would be a good idea. The saddest thing is that I sit on our curriculum steering committee and have been utterly powerless to do anything about this despite raising plenty of objection.
    That is a terrible plan. The fact that they had to delay Step 1 of USMLE to the "Make up" date in October is telling. They know they aren't teaching you enough basic science.

All part of the larger plan to devalue physicians and turn them into providers. Welcome to a 4 year PA school.

(Just in case someone feels like I'm devaluing other providers, I have a really long rant about why every component of health care is critically important that I am not drunk enough to try and type. Suffice it to say, every part of the care team is really important; however, I strongly believe that doctors should do doctor shit, nurses should do nursing shit, PA's should do PA shit, etc...And administrators should get out of their fucking way and make it happen. It's not really a controversial rant, I'm just getting curmudgeonly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    That is a terrible plan. The fact that they had to delay Step 1 of USMLE to the "Make up" date in October is telling. They know they aren't teaching you enough basic science.

All part of the larger plan to devalue physicians and turn them into providers. Welcome to a 4 year PA school.

(Just in case someone feels like I'm devaluing other providers, I have a really long rant about why every component of health care is critically important that I am not drunk enough to try and type. Suffice it to say, every part of the care team is really important; however, I strongly believe that doctors should do doctor shit, nurses should do nursing shit, PA's should do PA shit, etc...And administrators should get out of their fucking way and make it happen. It's not really a controversial rant, I'm just getting curmudgeonly.)
    The increasing #s of students delaying Step 1 is actually a nationwide trend which I believe largely stems from anxiety over its increased importance in an increasingly competitive Match. I also think that thanks to helicopter parenting my generation (especially my generation of med students, who are on average about 5 years younger than I am) are afraid of failure. I think the fear of not doing exceptionally on Step 1 is what often drives low scores in students with underlying anxiety issues/poor coping skills as they are used to thinking of themselves as an indomitable future neurosurgeon/ENT/etc. This is supposedly why Step 1 is being made pass/fail as of Jan 2022, but given that Step 2 is still numerically scored I don't think the dynamic will change in the slightest. Just moved the goalposts

That said I agree 100% this is a disservice to our students. Studying for Step 1 sucked. I was not a straight A student in college by any means, so I had to teach myself improved study habits as I progressed thru MS1/2. I worked very hard, was able to manage stress appropriately and got a very strong score. I agree that not all the material on the exam may not be "clinically relevant," but it demonstrates that you can apply yourself to learn challenging material and apply it critically under pressure.

I also 100% agree with your perspective re: midlevels. I think Anesthesia did it right when they established the CRNA program - they require ICU experience before you can even apply, and it is 2 focused years of in-person education. They get full time, hands on clinical training to do a very specific, mostly procedural job. NPs, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen, many of them are online, and now that so many RNs are going straight from their BSN to their NP they don't even get the nursing experience that NP education is supposed to leverage. My sister is an ED RN with just a few years of experience under her belt, was enrolled in a mostly-online NP program at NYU, but ultimately dropped out because she didn't feel like she was actually learning skills that would give her the confidence to manage patients. I thought that was pretty thoughtful of her.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-11-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52196815

Pretty brutal NYC EMT diary here. Makes me wonder if we'll ever find out what the true CFR is.
    I read something like that and wonder how there can still be so many people out there who think this is nothing.

we now lead the world in deaths, total cases, and critical cases.

And yet, there are so many states who have done jack shit in slowing the spread. Churches are still open for mass gatherings. People packed into stores like Target and HOme Depot treating the situation like a holiday weekend. Crowds gathered in parks and narrow trails making it look like its an early summer vacation. Truly ridiculous. The american public is dumb as hell, that's for sure.

@Dr_Thanatos @YVK

Pulmonary and Cardiac Pathology in Covid-19: The First Autopsy Series from New Orleans

Abstract:

SARS-CoV-2 has rapidly spread across the United States, causing extensive morbidity and mortality, though the histopathologic basis of severe disease cases has yet to be studied in detail. Over the past century, autopsy has contributed significantly to our understanding of numerous disease processes, but for several reasons, autopsy reports following deaths related to SARS-CoV-2 have thus far been limited across the globe. We report on the relevant cardiopulmonary findings in the first series of autopsies in the United States, with the cause of death being due to SARS-CoV-2 infection. These cases identify key pathologic states potentially contributing to severe disease and decompensation in these patients.
    Just starting to read it now.

That's a start, thanks for the link.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List