Page 413 of 725 FirstFirst ... 313363403411412413414415423463513 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,130 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post

1st year of medical school is learning the language of medicine. 2nd year is learning grammar. 3rd year is when you learn to have a conversation. 4 year is when you can actually speak the language.
    Oh! I like that!
    Very eloquent.

Originally yours?

cc

1st year of medical school is learning the language of medicine. 2nd year is learning grammar. 3rd year is when you learn to have a conversation. 4 year is when you can actually speak the language.
    ..and after some 30 years of postgrad and practice I found out I was dyslexic.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    ..and after some 30 years of postgrad and practice I found out I was dyslexic.
    Well played!!!

Site Supporter
    Looks like California is starting some larger scale antibody tests. These should be interesting to follow.

To investigate that idea, researchers are testing people for antibodies that indicate a previously undiagnosed infection that was defeated by the body's immune system.

The Stanford researchers tested 3,200 volunteers at three testing sites in the Bay Area. They are expected to publish the conclusions of their study in several weeks.

The state had a significant amount of travel to and from China last year - some 8,000 Chinese visitors a day at California's airports. Wuhan, China is considered the origin point of the novel coronavirus. It first came to public attention there in December 2019, but researchers are looking at whether it had been around much earlier than that.

"Something is going on that we haven't quite found out yet," Hanson said. "When you calculate as well there were people on direct flights, from San Francisco and LAX to Wuhan, ground zero of the outbreak, you'd be naive not to think the California population wasn't exposed."
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7new...ornia/6091220/

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    The PPE saga continues.

Last Friday, FDA published guidelines on what goods from CN can be imported and what certs/provenance would be required. Much clarity from FDA. A good thing.
    The CN government has taken a ton of incoming fire regarding non-performing product and outright fake certifications. They're taking steps to stop it. Also good.
    What steps does an authoritarian government take to accomplish this? Exert control, of course.

Starting next week, PPE exporters will need to have a government permit to export. Not only will they need a permit, which apparently will be a 2-week process to obtain, they will also need to provide batch-level data and be subject to inspection. Again... good news but the opposite of fast.
    CN is not taking steps to control shit. They have always sent out fakes and will continue to do so. Exporters will get their permits and fake testing will be the norm. Always has been and always will be. Its China. They dont give a shit if their own people die, so you think they are going to give a hoot if you die?

If you're buying critical parts from them the only way to deal is to have stringent incoming QC ignoring the crap paperwork they send you. PPE are critical components IMO. China/India/Africa or whatever other slave haven you can cope with are the places for cheap trinkets, not life saving equipment or other important items. Its as simple as that and until the world gets that through their hard heads we will continue to have to deal with tainted food, meds, .....

Not implying that you are one who doesn't get that by the way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    CN is not taking steps to control shit. They have always sent out fakes and will continue to do so. Exporters will get their permits and fake testing will be the norm. Always has been and always will be. Its China. They dont give a shit if their own people die, so you think they are going to give a hoot if you die?

If you're buying critical parts from them the only way to deal is to have stringent incoming QC ignoring the crap paperwork they send you. PPE are critical components IMO. China/India/Africa or whatever other slave haven you can cope with are the places for cheap trinkets, not life saving equipment or other important items. Its as simple as that and until the world gets that through their hard heads we will continue to have to deal with tainted food, meds, .....

Not implying that you are one who doesn't get that by the way.
    I agree, broadly. From toxic paint to contaminated dog food, it's up to the person/company that puts their name on the label to make sure the product they're contracting for is produced in the way they expect. Beware of fakes. We've seen dozens of CE and FDA certificates the past few weeks where the ink is barely dry. Easy enough to look that stuff up online. It's amazing that these sellers even try to pass that shit off as legit, it's so easy to look up.

I worked in the electronics business back when outsourcing was a new thing. Moved a lot of production to Japan, Taiwan, China. When big American companies hammer on low-cost-country factories for every penny, then leave, you get a lot of creative cost cutting. I got tired of telling my bosses that I refused to pursue tiny cost reductions because it would cost us more in quality than it would save us in spend.

As for PPE.... You have to know where it's coming from. I had a chance to pick up 1500 3M N95 masks yesterday. When I asked for documents, I received copies of airway bills showing the product had been returned from France. Actually, the product boxes were printed in French with NASCAR logo (legit). The guy selling was a distributor in a completely different business. I think these were legit products, but with their gray market history, way too much risk. Factory-direct (from a vetted factory) or authorized distributors only.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Oh! I like that!
    Very eloquent.

Originally yours?

cc
    Yeah. Sometimes I'm smarter than I look.

Feel free to steal it, no attribution necessary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52196815

Pretty brutal NYC EMT diary here. Makes me wonder if we'll ever find out what the true CFR is.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52196815

Pretty brutal NYC EMT diary here. Makes me wonder if we'll ever find out what the true CFR is.

It really makes me worry for rural parts of the country. A lot of people will die in their homes and be left there for days.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    It is very hard to walk back into 3rd year after grad school. Start on Psych if you can. Get friends to remind you how to do a physical exam. (You will forget a lot of it. I had to get a surgical resident friend help me out one night in the ED. Tri-auscultation point: Heart, present, lungs, present, bowel, present) And oh, BTW, all of your med school friends, are now 3rd year residents. And they're your clinical supervisors. Hope you made a lot of friends. I did not.

\
    Luckily I've been really aggressive about taking advantage of the longitudinal preceptorship program here, so I've been in either the ER or the OR at least a couple times a month since starting PhD. Thanks to the ER experience I have a decent grasp on how to do a quick and focused H&P and SOAP note for an undifferentiated "not sick" patient. Obviously the "P" in SOAP note will be a challenge as "pending surgery recs" probably won't be acceptable for inpatient medicine... but I feel very comfortable in the clinic. Returning to MS3 will be hard, but I am really looking forward to it

This has been going on for decades. And it's a disservice to medicine. 1st year of medical school is learning the language of medicine. 2nd year is learning grammar. 3rd year is when you learn to have a conversation. 4 year is when you can actually speak the language. And every year you look backwards and realize how little you knew the year before. Residency is even worse for the first few years.
    Agreed. Our school of medicine is designing an outrageously ridiculous new curriculum that fortunately I will not be subjected to if I graduate on time. Here is a little infographic that explains it quite nicely. It is mindblowingly stupid.

The part that I am the most upset with is the transition to all LICs instead of traditional clerkships. Essentially, instead of rotating with depts/divs, you are assigned a site and a preceptor and are given individual patients to follow all across the hospital over the length of their stay and at their f/u appts. It blows me away that anyone thinks this would be a good idea. The saddest thing is that I sit on our curriculum steering committee and have been utterly powerless to do anything about this despite raising plenty of objection.

User Tag List