Page 40 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140540 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    I’m not panicking, but I’ll be damned if the touch screens at the self-check out isles at the grocery store haven’t given me the hibee jibees more lately.

Also of note; is that I’ve seen a paper talking about the (iirc ace2) receptor in the lungs that the virus bonds to and the fact that Europeans tend to have less receptors and a slightly lower risk of infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m not panicking, but I’ll be damned if the touch screens at the self-check out isles at the grocery store haven’t given me the hibee jibees more lately.
    Dude, I’ve gone through two full size bottles and half a dozen of the small personal size hand sanitizers since October.

I’m with you.

FYI: If you have one nearby Five-Below typically has the large pump 99% alcohol Purells for 3 bucks. I have one in each vehicle, each office, and each floor of the house.

After a martial arts session is when I try do a major decontamination, but don't hold out much hope. That's really up close and personal...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well, Brazil has similar population densities and poor infrastructure to India it may prove a sufficient test case.

If we see this infecting a substantial portion of individuals in Brazil, we could be seeing something more like historical influenza infections. But at this point comparing modern infections to historical ones is a bit of a misnomer. I think comparing the 1918 and the 2009 outbreaks of H1N1 is actually useful for grounding us in reality. Virtually the same virus, same globe, even more people on our planet in 2009 (6x from 1918), more people infected in 2009 (2x from 1918), yet a death rate of <1% compared to the 1918 Spanish Flu (which on the low end estimate is 6% and high end 20%).

The simple fact is, not only has medical care gotten better, but infrastructure and humans are healthier than ever. We are better at controlling infections and maintaining our populations. As a result, though we can have more infections we have substantially lower death rates. What we should be worried most about is not infection, it's fucking panic.

Like a stampede in a crowded room - panic will kill or affect more people than this virus could.
    Brazil is in the middle of the summer... not good conditions for the virus to propagate.

If the number of cases do not overwhelm the medical infraestructure (and I can't see how), Sao Paulo has world class hospitals and professional to deal with this. Sao Paulo is like a first world city in many aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Brazil is in the middle of the summer... not good conditions for the virus to propagate.

If the number of cases do not overwhelm the medical infraestructure (and I can't see how), Sao Paulo has world class hospitals and professional to deal with this. Sao Paulo is like a first world city in many aspects.
    we do not have any data to support the notion of warmer climate decreasing viral R0
    no country or city can handle an epidemic of hypoxemic respiratory failure including Sao Paulo

Site Supporter
    And one more confirmed case in Africa in addition to the case in Egypt.

The patient is an Italian citizen who arrived in the country on February 17 and has been placed in isolation, the ministry said.
    This was confirmed yesterday. Feb.17-25 is a long time to be walking around interacting with folks.

https://africatimes.com/2020/02/25/a...covid-19-case/

When this first started, I remember a doctor on TV(!) saying that this was a respiratory virus, and it has to latch on to your lungs to be harmful, so inhalation through the nose and mouth are the concern. He said it wasn't going through your skin, or in your eyes. Is this accurate? Is eyepro necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    When this first started, I remember a doctor on TV(!) saying that this was a respiratory virus, and it has to latch on to your lungs to be harmful, so inhalation through the nose and mouth are the concern. He said it wasn't going through your skin, or in your eyes. Is this accurate? Is eyepro necessary?
    There is risk for infection through the eyes - I just looked this up on the CDC website - but it is not the main mode of infection.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html

But they also are not 100% sure of the methods of infection at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Hand sanitizer.

Get enough sleep.

Good nutrition.

Exercise.

N95 masks if you travel by public transit.
    __

It isn't rocket science here. The problem is too many Americans and too many people globally do not take care of/cannot take care of themselves.

If there is a real, legitimate, reason to support universal things - it's universal nutrition, clean water, and education that can allow outbreaks like these to be heavily limited in their impacts.

For me, I'm waiting to see what happens in India. India is where we will see if this is pandemic or not.
    Trump was just there. Is he quarantined in the WH?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Trump was just there. Is he quarantined in the WH?
    Unless he's quarantined from Twitter then it doesn't matter, life will continue as normal.

User Tag List