Page 383 of 725 FirstFirst ... 283333373381382383384385393433483 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,830 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Protocols, rules, check lists - what else is new for the government in an emergency. I recall reading that when they wanted to refuel Air Force One during the 9/11 flight at an Air Force base, some jackass said the fuel was only to be used in time of war. This was to the President in a close to war emergency. The jackass was pushed aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    “Unhappy is the land that breeds no hero.”

"No, Andrea: 'Unhappy is the land that needs a hero.'"

One of the worst things that can happen in a (professional) organization is taking leadership away from actual (professional) practitioners (or former practitioners) and replacing it with management by governmental or corporate bureaucrats. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens almost everywhere.
    I think your statement is worthy enough to generalize towards all professions. I’ve certainly seen in in the military and in aviation. My wife sees it in the medical field.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Surprise surprise, the USNS Comfort is not being well integrated into city hospital network. This is consistent with what my buddy at FDNY has told me - apparently they are largely taking overflow from the Javits center.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/04/02/...s-comfort.html
    It's the Navy. They have certain protocols. Actually I'm surprised they're even treating US civilians. Probably took a mountain of paperwork just to get the ship to NY. The pres can order it done but then someone has to figure out how to make it happen within the system.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-03-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    “Unhappy is the land that breeds no hero.”

"No, Andrea: 'Unhappy is the land that needs a hero.'"

One of the worst things that can happen in a medical organization is taking leadership away from actual medical practitioners (or former practitioners) and replacing it with management by governmental or corporate bureaucrats. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens almost everywhere.
    I think your statement is worthy enough to generalize towards all professions. I’ve certainly seen in in the military and in aviation. My wife sees it in the medical field.
    Exhibit A: Boeing.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    This was the Surgeon General on Fox this morning.
    I'm sure I have confirmation bias on this subject, but, he gives 4 (?) reasons for not wearing a mask.
    I heard.... BS... BS.... BS... Real Reason.

YMMV.

Surgeon General: Data doesn't back up wearing masks in public amid coronavirus pandemic
    3 days, 180 degrees.

White House coronavirus task force to announce face covering guidance

“Because of some recent information that the virus can actually be spread even when people just speak as opposed to coughing and sneezing – the better part of valor is that when you’re out, when you can’t maintain that 6-foot distance, to wear some sort of facial covering,” Dr. Anthony Fauci said, while appearing on "Fox & Friends" on Friday
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Proof of their being two-faced. (Literally and figuratively, I suppose.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It's the Navy. They have certain protocols. Actually I'm surprised they're even treating US civilians. Probably took a mountain of paperwork just to get the ship to NY. The pres can order it done but then someone has to figure out how to make it happen within the system.
    This reminds me of one of the times I ran the Army 10 miler here in DC. I think it was raining that day, and I wound up with a blister on my toe that hurt a little. No big deal, but after the race I still had to walk a ways to the metro station. I stopped by the Army medical tent, explained my situation, and asked for a band-aid. The MAJ told me I needed to fill out a form that was at least a page long. I told her that I'd be happy to put the band-aid on myself and didn't require any treatment. "Sir - fill out the form - SIR!" I said never mind, and started to walk away. She turned her attention to someone else, and when she wasn't looking, a couple of enlisted soldiers smiled apologetically and snuck a band-aid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    This reminds me of one of the times I ran the Army 10 miler here in DC. I think it was raining that day, and I wound up with a blister on my toe that hurt a little. No big deal, but after the race I still had to walk a ways to the metro station. I stopped by the Army medical tent, explained my situation, and asked for a band-aid. The MAJ told me I needed to fill out a form that was at least a page long. I told her that I'd be happy to put the band-aid on myself and didn't require any treatment. "Sir - fill out the form - SIR!" I said never mind, and started to walk away. She turned her attention to someone else, and when she wasn't looking, a couple of enlisted soldiers smiled apologetically and snuck a band-aid to me.
    I got orders to a far away place and 30 days leave before I was supposed to be there. After reviewing the orders I ask was I to take military or commercial flight as I didn't see any provision for either. The answer, don't worry about it. We have your leave address and we'll send you something before your leave is up. With seven days left and no travel authorization I called the nearest Navy installation. Then I made a 75 mile trip and explained my problem with my orders. Yeoman said this is highly unusual. He made the arrangements to fly commercial and I made it without being AWOL. I've always wondered what would have happened if I had just waited for travel authorization until my enlistment was up. Probably wouldn't have gone well. The duty station was interesting so I wanted to go.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Proof of their being two-faced. (Literally and figuratively, I suppose.)
    Or maybe they're just giving the American people the "woobie" placebo they want.

or

Maybe they have learned new things about the virus.

A person I follow on Twitter is a RN but has been doing, if I understand correctly graduate work of some kind, has decided volunteering to work as nurse in NY for the duration is better use of her time asked for advice for deploying to such a situation.

If anyone has links or experience that would be useful I'll pass it on.

Most of stuff I'm familiar with is more LE or Military related than healthcare worker deploying to epidemic, I sent her link to "Listening to Katrinia" with caveat that it wasn't directly related but a very well thought out blog and some of it would be helpful.

User Tag List