Page 357 of 725 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357358359367407457 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Here's how NOT to do things, as recently as 3 weeks ago, in WA state:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...choir-outbreak

"Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.

“It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy places,” Burdick recalled. “We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other.”

After 2˝ hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.

Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized, and two are dead."
    I watched a video interview of a prominent doctor/researcher in Korea, Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital. He talked about the church in Deagu where a large number of their infections were transmitted, and he said that the group singing they did put more virus particles into the air (more than just talking, which makes sense), and that's why so many people who worshiped there caught it.

That includes yelling, as well. Forceful exhalation by an infected person causes virus particles to spread out further than "normal" before falling to the floor, so in a case like that six feet is not far enough away to be safe.

I found the video in case you'd like to watch yourself, and it's mostly in Korean with subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU&app=desktop
    Last edited by uechibear; 03-30-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I suspect that home made mask would at least keep people from touching their faces.
    And would reduce the shedding from infected people coughing into a mas instead of into the air and onto surfaces.

IMO, the whole "you don't need a mask" is a BS ploy to make people feel better that masks are nearly unobtainum. YMMV.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    And would reduce the shedding from infected people coughing into a mas instead of into the air and onto surfaces.

IMO, the whole "you don't need a mask" is a BS ploy to make people feel better that masks are nearly unobtainum. YMMV.
    IIRC when that advice was blanketing the airwaves 24x7 the extent of asymptomatic but infectious was not well known either.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IIRC when that advice was blanketing the airwaves 24x7 the extent of asymptomatic but infectious was not well known either.
    So I'm a bit dense sometimes...if someone has no symptoms how, do they infect others? Just by touching stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    So I'm a bit dense sometimes...if someone has no symptoms how, do they infect others? Just by touching stuff?
    The last summary I saw was a mean time of 5 days from infection to first symptoms, with a range of 2-14 days. Someone who is infected and showing no symptoms is carrying a virus load and shedding virus.

The primary mode of transmission is respiratory droplets. Sick people -- with or without symptoms -- exhale them, other people inhale them. The droplets also contaminate surfaces. Sick people touching their faces will contaminate their hands, which can then contaminate surfaces.

The asymtomatic period is one of the big differences from "normal' flu. That has an asymptomatic period of 0-2 days -- you know almost immediately when you get it.

Site Supporter
    The virus exists in your upper airway very early in the infection. You can be infections many days (>>5) before you have symptoms. Sneezing, coughing, etc. will spew it out to those in proximity (aerosolized) and onto surfaces were it can be picked up by others touching it, then touching their face.

Someone more qualified will hopefully be along shortly with a better explanation.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

That and just breathing apparently. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...vid-19-viruses
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rk-harbor.html

USNS Comfort arrives in NYC, and guess what, large crowds gather to watch it.

JFC.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm still hearing it, but, less frequently. I knew it was BS back then, because nobody was allowed out of the house in China without a mask... Why? So they didn't spread it if they had it but didn't know yet. Not very complicated.

We were unprepared.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Re: #1 and #2
    This is what I find the most ironic. There are two traits that conservative people supposedly believe in very strongly: self preservation, and preservation of their community.

Social distancing is the #1 thing that would help them and their community survive, and one would think that conservative people would be the most onboard with that. But I guess not.
    If you have anything constructive to add to this thread, be my guest.

Otherwise, please take your political opinions here, and knock yourself out:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....light=politics

User Tag List