Page 302 of 725 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312352402 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'd like to believe this isn't true, but so far there is no real evidence to suggest this won't occur.
    Clearly you havent been reading the corona politics thread...

Someone bring Dr.Fauci back please before we all die.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The testing seems to be on people who are admitted to a hospital with symptoms, not the general population, as in a drive thru. The data on the JH websites seem to bare that out. I'm not really concerned about testing in the general population because most of the people there fall into two categories. The first would be people who would like to get a test so they could isolate or go on about their business. The second would be people who won't get tested, even if tests were available, because they wouldn't isolate even if they knew new they were infected. The people who are really concerned about it have already isolated themselves without testing. Now there will be hundreds of thousands more who will isolate by gov't order. If you don't have a job to go to, or the prospect of a paycheck next month there won't be reason to leave home except for supplies.

I'm not sure, but it seems that even if you test positive you won't get a hospital bed without symptoms. There's going to be a yuge shortage of staff and beds if there isn't already. Testing of the general population isn't going to mean much unless everyone got tested. The numbers could give health care pros the ability to compare that with the numbers being hospitalized. That may be some relief if that number was low but shocking if it were high.

The thing that concerns me the most is the numbers that are confirmed by hospitals. Everyday that passes shows an average of a 15% increase (conservative estimate) over the day before here in WA. If 2000 are confirmed today that means there will be 2300 tomorrow and 2645 the day after that. Apply those numbers to NY state with 23,000 confirmed today. That means tomorrow there will be 26450 and 30417 the day after. The growth rate of confirmed cases in the US will now exceed China's from day 5 to day 20 since it's been tracked in both countries. Maybe that's why mayors and governors with the most population density are taking this more seriously than the administration.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Is there a "Staying Healthy - Coronavirus Edition" thread somewhere.?

Biggest issue for me is sleeplessness. Can't sleep more than 4-ish hours a night, not hungry but eating at least 2 good meals a day, lost 6+ pounds in last 10 days, not intentionally. At least my muscled BMI is heading towards the "Vent not excluded" zone. . Do docs consider physical condition as a factor in resource limitation decisions? I'm 55 but in pretty good shape. Broad shoulders and chest, but no 6-pack... Maybe a 2-pack. Low body fat but being broader and shorter puts the basic BMI number in the overweight category. I doubt anyone would say I'm overweight. The "no vent for you" possibility definitely occupies my mind more than other concerns.

Been eating healthy, actually, just not hungry so portions are smaller than usual. Exercising 2x-3x/day. Brisk 2-mile walks in AM, more casual walk and distance-visiting the neighbors after dinner (good for mental health). Crunches, push-ups, etc. 2-3x/week. The extra exercise + <appetite would explain the weight loss. I suppose worry burns calories too.

Back on a daily vitamin + extra D3, conscious of staying hydrated. Peeing clear all day. (you know you needed to know that ).

Working on work-related stuff trying to help where I can. That has been a big help for my mindset. And a good distraction. Being a good neighbor. Wife mowed the neighbors lawn (both of them are home-bound), told me to edge and blow (phrasing!). Their lawn service flaked out on them a few weeks ago... 75 bags of mulch in the driveway waiting on the rain to stop. Tomorrow looks possible.

I'm fairly proactive and finding it tough to watch the slow-motion tsunami heading our way with people still being stupid. Worried about my kids, one is bunkering in NC. Nothing I can do about it. Turned off the TV news a few days ago (too much noise and drama) which has proven helpful, get most of my updates from this thread (thanks!) and a bit from online news.

If I could get some better sleep, I think I'd be ok... Tried melatonin, OTC sleep aid, bourbon (not all together... may try that next ... (Kidding). Not too much trouble getting to sleep, but I'm done after 4 hours. Worked with a guy that took Ambien to sleep, he'd forget that we decided things and come in the next day all mad about things we worked out the day before. I don't need that.

I feel like I'm doing most of the "Healthy Lifestyle" things right. Any ideas on coping/mindset/etc are welcome. Wife suggested meditation... maybe yoga.

I briefly considered suggesting setting up a MS Team for this thread. Imagine the wondrous cluster that would be! Some things (and people) are better unseen.

I feel a bit better just having shared this. Hope you are all coping well. I imagine that people proactive enough to carry guns are struggling with a bit of helplessness right about now. You are not alone.

/core dump
    I would love to see a thread like this IF it is just people sharing their experiences and med folks chiming in with advice. Otherwise I see it devolving into kookiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The thing that concerns me the most is the numbers that are confirmed by hospitals. Everyday that passes shows an average of a 15% increase (conservative estimate) over the day before here in WA. If 2000 are confirmed today that means there will be 2300 tomorrow and 2645 the day after that. Apply those numbers to NY state with 23,000 confirmed today. That means tomorrow there will be 26450 and 30417 the day after. The growth rate of confirmed cases in the US will now exceed China's from day 5 to day 20 since it's been tracked in both countries. Maybe that's why mayors and governors with the most population density are taking this more seriously than the administration.
    Exponential growth is real. And because of time lag, it simply impossible to stop. This genie is out of the bottle and while I want us to continue social distancing, it is merely giving us time to build capacity and improve treatments, we are merely trying to stick a few chocks in front of the Sysphian boulder to slow it down, before it rolls back and crushes.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    Its official - Austin is through April 13th, San Antonio the 9th. I heard Williamson county too but haven't read anything yet.
    Houston is only scheduled for 10 days. 3/25 through 4/3. Judge still hasn't posted text of order.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm not sure, but it seems that even if you test positive you won't get a hospital bed without symptoms.
    Yeah, if you don't require supportive care there's no reason for you to be in the hospital anyway.

Got my test result: negative, as expected since none of us developed fevers. 7 days for results in So Cal, if that adds a data point. Thanks for the well-wishes, and God bless everyone in direct contact with the sick.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Is there a "Staying Healthy - Coronavirus Edition" thread somewhere.?
    I would love to contribute to it in any way I could, but there is not any evidence based stuff that directly relates to the coronavirus. I could only say what makes theoretical sense to me.

Higher aerobic functional status translates into improved outcomes across a wide spectrum of conditions. Stay fit.

I've been trying out to parse out the data if COVID19 hits obese people more often or harder, and I couldn't. There is this concept of obesity paradox where overweight people did better in critical illness. If you're modestly overweight, perhaps now is not the best time to get on that keto. If you're morbidly obese, work on your weight.

There are multiple reports of acute renal failure in these patients. Uncontrolled diabetes, hypertension, NSAIDs use and dehydration are the highest risk factors for abnormal renal function. Control your risk factors and stay very well hydrated, so your renal function is optimal at the baseline.

Liver enzyme elevation x 5 normal is a contraindication to enrolling in remsedivir trials. Don't strain your liver so it is optimal at its baseline. I usually do one drink /day except when on call. I'll be reducing it.

We expect a strain on all lines of service. Reason I am typing this from home is because we're keeping 50% of our heart attack response team at home at all times. There is only six of us PCI docs who cover a fairly spread geographic area. If we all get wiped out, your heart attack outcome is not going to be good. Control all your chronic conditions the best you can, take all prescribed meds, minimize your chances of needing emergent care.

Stay away from health care facilities. Communicate by phone, our lines are open, and we're rolling out tele.

Wash your hands compulsively.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-24-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

After falling two days in a row, Italy is now back over 700 deaths in one day.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I
    There are multiple reports of acute renal failure in these patients. Uncontrolled diabetes, hypertension, NSAIDs use and dehydration are the highest risk factors for abnormal renal function. Control your risk factors and stay very well hydrated, so your renal function is optimal at the baseline.
    It seems like the renal failure is largely a consequence of hypoxia. I'm not seeing anything to suggest there is some sort direct viral nephropathy, but maybe I am misinformed.

In addition to everything you posted I would venture that it is important to also take care of your mental health to the greatest extent possible. Everyone is anxious about this to some degree, whether it be for your personal health and the safety of loved ones or the very real financial catastrophe that is playing out as we speak.

I hate all those wellness presentations they seem to love to give us as trainees, so I won't parrot them here, but everyone should prioritize doing the things that keep us sane. Exercise/time outside (in a way that keeps you separate from others), reading books, setting up a schedule, staying in touch with your friends/family by phone, Skype etc.... all the obvious stuff. I am going to try to get to the range sometime soon - I haven't left the house in almost 2 full weeks and it is driving me crazy, not going to lie.

User Tag List