Page 295 of 725 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Two greaters at my local wal mart was just confirmed to have the virus.

My fiancee always said im an asshole because I never hand them my receipt and just say "no thanks" while walking on past them. (I find it mildly insulting that they have to check my receipt like im a thief and usually I have to wait in a line to even get it checked. No thanks!)

She doesn't think so now...
    Last edited by Warped Mindless; 03-23-2020 at 01:10 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    In my darker moments I've been referring to this as "The Darwinian Selection Event Biased Toward People Who Understand Science."

The problem is, that's not entirely true. There's a good chance a person could go around licking doorknobs, have a mild case of COVID-19, and recover to reproduce idiot children. It's the OTHER people that will die that didn't need to...
    Darwinism is an odds game. You can alter your chances. There are no sure things.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Darwinism is an odds game. You can alter your chances. There are no sure things.
    It's not the odds, it's the steaks...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Maybe it's somewhere in the thread, and if so I apologize for having missed it and could someone link me back to it.

All the numbers I see are about people who get the virus and the corresponding number of deaths. Since, the big worry is hospitals being overrun due to the virus, where are the numbers comparing being infected with the virus and those requiring hospitalization?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Curious question for you virologists, immunologists and other medical types with knowledge on cooties…

Does it matter how exposed to a virus like COVID-19 a person is in regards to how severe their symptoms may end up being? If for example a person becomes infected by contracting a small amount of the live virus on a surface and subsequently touching their face, are they likely to suffer less than if they were to be stuck in a confined space with limited ventilation with others were actively symptomatic and were coughing all over the place? It’s never been clear to me how, after establishing a foothold in a host body, a pathogen like this propagates its way throughout the body – say the lungs in this case. I’m wondering if more heavily breathing the virus into the lungs correlates to higher issues later on.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Apparently I'm gender fluid.
    I’ve long thought that your puns identify as prions, because they get inside brains, and drive people mad.

In other news, from NYT:

A mother who was infected with the coronavirus couldn’t smell her baby’s full diaper. Cooks who can usually name every spice in a restaurant dish can’t smell curry or garlic, and food tastes bland. Others say they can’t pick up the sweet scent of shampoo or the foul odor of kitty litter.

Anosmia, the loss of sense of smell, and ageusia, an accompanying diminished sense of taste, have emerged as peculiar telltale signs of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and possible markers of infection.

On Friday, British ear, nose and throat doctors, citing reports from colleagues around the world, called on adults who lose their senses of smell to isolate themselves for seven days, even if they have no other symptoms, to slow the disease’s spread. The published data is limited, but doctors are concerned enough to raise warnings.

“We really want to raise awareness that this is a sign of infection and that anyone who develops loss of sense of smell should self-isolate,” Professor Claire Hopkins, president of the British Rhinological Society, wrote in an email. “It could contribute to slowing transmission and save lives.”

The rest of the long-ish article is mostly back up commentary on the intro, above.

FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    More K-12 schools extending closure

VA closed through the balance of the academic year
    NC extended to May 15

https://www.wavy.com/news/virginia/c...-reported/amp/

AK extended to May 15

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/03...ential-travel/

AZ extended to 4/10

https://www.kgun9.com/news/coronavir...ed-for-2-weeks

PA extended to 4/6

https://www.mcall.com/coronavirus/mc...outputType=amp

I think the chances of my kids going back to school this academic year are near zero. Once closure extend into May I hardly see the point in reopening for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Maybe it's somewhere in the thread, and if so I apologize for having missed it and could someone link me back to it.

All the numbers I see are about people who get the virus and the corresponding number of deaths. Since, the big worry is hospitals being overrun due to the virus, where are the numbers comparing being infected with the virus and those requiring hospitalization?
    Name:  usa.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  29.7 KB
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This is just a snapshot of the moment. Some of the currently mild cases may become severe.
    Note the fatality rate for resolved cases.
    Also, these cases are not evenly distributed -- a cluster of cases in a small area will quickly overwhelm the number of ICU beds.

florida-university-announces-5-spring-breakers-test-positive

And it begins....

Quote Originally Posted by from article

The University of Tampa in Florida announced at least five students have tested positive for coronavirus after traveling with other students on a spring break trip.

"UT has been notified that five UT students, traveling together and with other UT students during Spring Break, have tested positive for COVID-19," the university announced over the weekend. "We sincerely wish our students, and any others who may be affected, a full and rapid recovery."
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Yeah... I have all sorts of nasty things to say about them... I'll leave it at I hope they aren't put ahead of anyone that needs a vent...

User Tag List