Page 290 of 725 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292300340390 ... LastLast
Results 2,891 to 2,900 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Reviews don't seem particularly confidence inspiring.
    Yahbut, I searched my order history and the thermometer I bought months ago for $23.99 is now $74.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...language=en_US
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Email from City of Houston this morning:

We have no clue whatsoever how many of our fellow citizens in the area are sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A firsthand account of the effects of COVID-19

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Based on the email from City of Houston quoted in the linked post above, this guy would not have qualified to obtain a clearance and go to one of the drive-through test sites until this morning, March 22, due to being under 65. At which point, he was already in the hospital. I sure hope that if someone in that condition shows up at a hospital, we can take care of them.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    In stock April 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yahbut, I searched my order history and the thermometer I bought months ago for $23.99 is now $74.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...language=en_US
    I've gone without for decades. I guess I can continue a while longer.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I've been looking for one online and haven't found one that seems decent at a reasonable price.
    https://www.bigdweb.com/product/code...saAkXtEALw_wcB

No idea as to the quality of this particular store. Tractor Supply used to sell some exactly like the ones pictured (it appears they don’t any more) slightly larger than the glass mercury thermometer you probably grew up on. I have never found a digital thermometer that seemed to function properly for any length of time. I love these.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    https://www.bigdweb.com/product/code...saAkXtEALw_wcB

No idea as to the quality of this particular store. Tractor Supply used to sell some exactly like the ones pictured (it appears they don’t any more) slightly larger than the glass mercury thermometer you probably grew up on. I have never found a digital thermometer that seemed to function properly for any length of time. I love these.
    I don't have hoof and mouth...

Thanks, I'll have a look.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I don't have hoof and mouth...

Thanks, I'll have a look.
    I discovered them when I worked at TSC which is longer ago than feels possible. The best part is the loop on the end for a string so that you don’t lose it inside an animal if you should decide to use it for its intended purpose.

Site Supporter
    https://www.propublica.org/article/a...Z0hVDhjWqHQjkc

A Medical Worker Describes Terrifying Lung Failure From COVID-19 — Even in His Young Patients
    “It first struck me how different it was when I saw my first coronavirus patient go bad. I was like, Holy shit, this is not the flu. Watching this relatively young guy, gasping for air, pink frothy secretions coming out of his tube.”

spoke to a respiratory therapist there, whose job is to ensure that patients are breathing well. He works in a medium-sized city hospital’s intensive care unit. (We are withholding his name and employer, as he fears retaliation.) Before the virus came to New Orleans, his days were pretty relaxed, nebulizing patients with asthma, adjusting oxygen tubes that run through the nose or, in the most severe cases, setting up and managing ventilators. His patients were usually older, with chronic health conditions and bad lungs.

Since last week, he’s been running ventilators for the sickest COVID-19 patients. Many are relatively young, in their 40s and 50s, and have minimal, if any, preexisting conditions in their charts. He is overwhelmed, stunned by the manifestation of the infection, both its speed and intensity. The ICU where he works has essentially become a coronavirus unit. He estimates that his hospital has admitted dozens of confirmed or presumptive coronavirus patients. About a third have ended up on ventilators.

His hospital had not prepared for this volume before the virus first appeared. One physician had tried to raise alarms, asking about negative pressure rooms and ventilators. Most staff concluded that he was overreacting. “They thought the media was overhyping it,” the respiratory therapist told me. “In retrospect, he was right to be concerned.”

He spoke to me by phone on Thursday about why, exactly, he has been so alarmed. His account has been condensed and edited for clarity.

“Reading about it in the news, I knew it was going to be bad, but we deal with the flu every year so I was thinking: Well, it’s probably not that much worse than the flu. But seeing patients with COVID-19 completely changed my perspective, and it’s a lot more frightening.”

This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people.

“I have patients in their early 40s and, yeah, I was kind of shocked. I’m seeing people who look relatively healthy with a minimal health history, and they are completely wiped out, like they’ve been hit by a truck. This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.”

They suddenly become unresponsive or go into respiratory failure.

“We have an observation unit in the hospital, and we have been admitting patients that had tested positive or are presumptive positive — these are patients that had been in contact with people who were positive. We go and check vitals on patients every four hours, and some are on a continuous cardiac monitor, so we see that their heart rate has a sudden increase or decrease, or someone goes in and sees that the patient is struggling to breathe or is unresponsive. That seems to be what happens to a lot of these patients: They suddenly become unresponsive or go into respiratory failure.”
    With our coronavirus patients, once they’re on ventilators, most need about the highest settings that we can do. About 90% oxygen, and 16 of PEEP, positive end-expiratory pressure, which keeps the lung inflated. This is nearly as high as I’ve ever seen. The level we’re at means we are running out of options.

“In my experience, this severity of ARDS is usually more typical of someone who has a near drowning experience — they have a bunch of dirty water in their lungs — or people who inhale caustic gas. Especially for it to have such an acute onset like that. I’ve never seen a microorganism or an infectious process cause such acute damage to the lungs so rapidly. That was what really shocked me.”
    It first struck me how different it was when I saw my first coronavirus patient go bad. I was like, Holy shit, this is not the flu. Watching this relatively young guy, gasping for air, pink frothy secretions coming out of his tube and out of his mouth. The ventilator should have been doing the work of breathing but he was still gasping for air, moving his mouth, moving his body, struggling. We had to restrain him. With all the coronavirus patients, we’ve had to restrain them. They really hyperventilate, really struggle to breathe. When you’re in that mindstate of struggling to breathe and delirious with fever, you don’t know when someone is trying to help you, so you’ll try to rip the breathing tube out because you feel it is choking you, but you are drowning.

“When someone has an infection, I’m used to seeing the normal colors you’d associate with it: greens and yellows. The coronavirus patients with ARDS have been having a lot of secretions that are actually pink because they’re filled with blood cells that are leaking into their airways. They are essentially drowning in their own blood and fluids because their lungs are so full. So we’re constantly having to suction out the secretions every time we go into their rooms.”

I do not want to catch this.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-22-2020 at 10:51 PM.

If anyone is wondering what PEEP is, here's a quick demonstration. Granted, this is with a BVM and not a ventilator.....same concept though.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Based on the email from City of Houston quoted in the linked post above, this guy would not have qualified to obtain a clearance and go to one of the drive-through test sites until this morning, March 22, due to being under 65. At which point, he was already in the hospital. I sure hope that if someone in that condition shows up at a hospital, we can take care of them.
    I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment, but the standard of care that existed a week ago will not exist a week from now. As of yesterday, 25% of the COVID-19 cases in my state were hospitalized, and we've almost doubled our case count for the last two days in a row. We are medically under served to begin with, and this will be like watching a freight train roll over a church van in slow motion. Right now there are no swabs to be had anywhere, so anyone who is thinking that three hundred million test kits are going to materialize over the next month is simply dreaming. We have maybe 25,000 swabs on order, media sufficient for ~80,000 collection kits, tubes for 5,000 on hand with 45,000 more on order. Everything we have on order is something that another institution needs just as badly as we do. We were able to find just over 2,500 swabs from various sources on campus, including unopened left over swabs from old flu kits. Tomorrow we need to put together maybe a thousand collection kits. Then another thousand on Tuesday. Then we'll be out of swabs on Wednesday unless some of the orders come through.

At the same time we are trying to get three different testing platforms online. Two of those were existing platforms in the clinical lab with good commercial support. The components needed for one of the platforms arrived last week. What is needed for the other will hopefully ship this week. Validation takes a week to ten days for both platforms. The third platform is based on the CDC test but performed with research lab equipment that we collected from around campus and moved into a clinical lab. We need it because the commercial platforms already in place will not be able to handle the test volume we expect. We are waiting on reagents for this workflow, and I pray we can make all the pieces fit together. The time it takes for a lot of people to learn the result of their test is much too long, but the infrastructure does not exist to process this many tests in a timely fashion. No one anywhere was prepared for this.

I have a PhD. I've never had any responsibility for anything related to patient care or diagnostics before, but here I am. I'm glad that I have skills that can be of use, and I am proud to be part of the effort. My wife wonders which of the people she knows will die from this virus. I don't mean to rant, and I apologize if I come across that way. Emotionally I alternate between exhilaration and despair.

Getting back to the discussion up thread about drug treatments: LINK to CDC page on therapeutic options.

LINK to article on geographic distribution of ICU beds and elderly populations.

User Tag List