Page 285 of 725 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Per Johns Hopkins map, the US is at over 32k cases. My estimate of 35k by April was hilariously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I believe he would mention that. He's overworked, doesn't get a chance to text much so I don't ask a lot of questions.
    Makes sense. Haha I’m sure he appreciates that too.

As for the zithromax/chloroquine combo, yea its being used on my unit. Really hard to say if it sbeing effective or the virus is just running it course in a mild case. And my records of temps and o2 sats start at admission, haven’t had time to read thru each H&P to see when symptoms started at home. So the 98 99 temps I’m seeing could me a) mild case b) tail end of course bc they came to hosp late and or c) bc zithromax/chloroquine is helping.

Thanks nephro!

My daughter and I just got done making 7 bottles of hand sanitizer using the WHO recipe.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I should add that the methylprednisolone dose that was admin last night was admin bc of stridor, in an unconfirmed covid pt.

(Pt had hx of stridor, asthma, prior difficult intubations, obesity. And I’m sure much more, just didn’t look further)

Site Supporter
    https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army...eqKfdS9tnXfYA4

Army has directed all medical units to prepare for possible response to COVID-19 outbreak

McConville said that if a request comes in for a CSH to deploy somewhere in the country, the service might not send the one that was alerted at JBLM because the personnel may be needed in Washington state for COVID-19 response.

"Right now, the [doctors assigned to the CSH], they work in [civilian] clinics, they work in hospitals," he said. "As we stand up these hospitals, we say, 'Hey, what is the impact on the community if we take these people out of the hospitals?'

"We canceled a combat training center rotation for the 81st Stryker Brigade Combat Team because that is a National Guard brigade from Washington, and really the soldiers come from Washington and California. And we are anticipating that the governors may need them," he explained.

Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said the CSH facilities are designed to treat trauma cases, so it's unclear whether they would have to be reorganized and equipped to better deal with an infectious disease such as COVID-19.

The CSH is designed as a field hospital with tents, which may not be the best environment to treat serious cases of the virus, McConville added.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    No idea. I think it's just part of their ARDS protocol?
    Wonder if that is related to the number of folks that have ARDS due to crappy air quality and what we here would call allergies. I know that when my Allergy symptoms get truly out of whack, steroids are the best thing for me. Could be the same thing there, but due to all the other crap in the air.

I have a general medicine question for one of the Docs?

Like a lot of aging baby boomers, I'm on hypertension medication. I take Hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, as well as Lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor. My BP is well regulated; 120/80 at my checkup two weeks ago.

Are there any particular precautions in terms of COVID-19 as it relates to people like me who are on heart medications? As in, more risky, less risky, no real data either day, or just keep drinking Single Malt Whisky? *

* I know this is the correct answer, of course.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Wonder if that is related to the number of folks that have ARDS due to crappy air quality and what we here would call allergies. I know that when my Allergy symptoms get truly out of whack, steroids are the best thing for me. Could be the same thing there, but due to all the other crap in the air.
    ARDS is usually caused by an inflammatory insult to the alveoli (the very smallest branch of the lung, where oxygen and carbon dioxide are actively exchanged between your blood and the air you breathe in). Allergies are usually caused by the release of histamine from specialized cells that are a part of your immune system, and this typically happens at the top of your airway - far above the alveoli - so they are unlikely to play a part on COVID associated ARDS.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Like a lot of aging baby boomers, I'm on hypertension medication. I take Hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, as well as Lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor. My BP is well regulated; 120/80 at my checkup two weeks ago.

Are there any particular precautions in terms of COVID-19 as it relates to people like me who are on heart medications? As in, more risky, less risky, no real data either day, or just keep drinking Single Malt Whisky? *

* I know this is the correct answer, of course.
    No real data. I'm on lisinopril myself. Hard to say if prevalence of HTN among sicker patients is just because it is commonly associated with being older/in poorer health.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-22-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Are there any particular precautions in terms of COVID-19 as it relates to people like me who are on heart medications? :
    Might be something in here:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...rusliveupdates

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...572v1.full.pdf

Last night myself and a couple of co-workers met to talk things over. This morning I made an astute clinical observation that hangover feels like covid19.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List