Page 282 of 725 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292332382 ... LastLast
Results 2,811 to 2,820 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Lucky guy. We LOVE a good hummus, and my gf is a good cook, but she's never tried making it before.
    It's not complex, but sort of like pizza dough it's an experience is better than a recipe at getting the consistently right sort of thing. The good news is it's not nearly as picky and you can top off ingredients on the fly.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Hah I just saw this. That is very kind of you to say. Given that I am largely on the sidelines of this fight I feel like I am not the best voice to convey this message to the future. However, COVID definitely re-invigorated my interest in benchtop research, particularly given that I've spent the last 3 years studying ARDS in a remarkably interdisciplinary lab. I may not write a book per se, but this has definitely reminded me that I am in a unique position to make a permanent contribution to biomedicine. Previously I was pretty lukewarm on staying in academics, but this has reminded me why I pursued the MD-PhD to begin with.
    Well, at least keep these posts for future reference. You may not realize it but you're an observer with a unique insight on why a million people may die in this country. Just something to think about.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Email from City of Houston this morning:

Houston’s first free COVID-19 drive-thru testing site will broaden services to people of any age with chronic illnesses on Sunday, March 22, 2020.

People with chronic illnesses experiencing cough, difficulty breathing and fever, the common COVID-19 symptoms, can call the Houston Health Department’s COVID-19 call center at 832-393-4220 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to get screened. They will receive a unique identification code and instructions on where to go for testing.

Examples of chronic illnesses include heart disease, asthma, chronic lung disease, cancer, HIV/AIDS. Transplant recipients, people with weakened immune systems and pregnant women are also eligible for COVID-19 testing.

The site will only accept people with a unique identification code obtained through the screening process. People who show up without an identification code will not get tested.

Previously, only healthcare providers, first responders and people 65 and older with symptoms received COVID-19 testing at the site.
    We have no clue whatsoever how many of our fellow citizens in the area are sick.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Something for all the computer nerds out there - Folding at home now more powerful than the top 7 super computers combined.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news...virus-covid-19

Site Supporter
    I don't think this site has been posted. It has an interactive graph showing their predicted hospitalization numbers for different suppression efforts. It's broken down by state. I didn't dig into the model itself and don't know how close their numbers are to other models. Much like the Imperial College report they are showing drastic differences in outcomes depending on the suppression efforts taken.

https://covidactnow.org/

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Email from City of Houston this morning:

We have no clue whatsoever how many of our fellow citizens in the area are sick.
    I don't think anyone else does either. We knew about CVD here first and there still hasn't been any mass public testing. If we had mass public testing people who are positive could self quarantine and the rest could go to work. I suspect that we haven't been told to shelter-in-place here (a term that state disaster management uses) by the governor because it would shut Boeing down. Tests would be nice and I would probably get one if I could. I self quarantined a week ago so I'm taking this pretty seriously. I feel like I'm walking around with a target on my back.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I don't think this site has been posted. It has an interactive graph showing their predicted hospitalization numbers for different suppression efforts. It's broken down by state. I didn't dig into the model itself and don't know how close their numbers are to other models. Much like the Imperial College report they are showing drastic differences in outcomes depending on the suppression efforts taken.

The model I used to estimate 35k infected by April 1 had baked in to its assumptions a "moderate" degree of public health intervention (social distancing etc). We're at 25k today with over a week to go. "No intervention" projected 65k cases by April 1, and it looks to me like we're going to end up closer to 65k than 35k.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post

While I agree with the premise, and the advocacy for taking action, I find the data a bit fishy, because it seems so generic.
    When I look at the graphs for CO, WY, and MI, for example, the curves look identical, and peak on the same dates. The only things that change are the numbers on the Y-axis, due to (I presume) differences in state populations. Since the known infection numbers in those states are different today, I have difficulty believing that they’d all peak at the same time. CA is a little different, but not enough to impress me with the “granularity” of the data.

To be clear - I am far from a “COVID-19 denier” - I just think that playing too fast and loose with the data to make a point doesn’t help the credibility of the scientific case.

Thoughts from others? (Especially those with medical backgrounds)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The Jordanian military and police are patrolling the streets and are supposed to take anyone who's out (other than fuel delivery, etc.) to jail. From the videos what they are actually doing is berating them, spinning them around, and literally kicking them in the ass (shalute, in Arabic) to hurry them along back home. Essentially enforcement via public humiliation. My wife: "See? I told you shalute is important!"
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Watching the news, I see that the state of New York is in the process of securing several tens of thousands of doses of Azithromycin (Zithromax) and Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine (both are common anti-malarials) for trial of the combination therapy amongst those infected with SARS-CoV-2 in the state.

Given that Hydroxychloroquine is not effective against all strains of malaria, I am left wondering if other anti-virals (such as Mefloquine, Pyrimethamine with Sulfadoxine, Primaquine, Doxycycline, Proguanil with/without Atovaquone, etc.) might prove more effective as a candidate prophylactic or a curative for SARS-CoV-2 due to the differences in their respective pharmacodynamics and possibly warrant concurrent trials.

Any of the doctors here care to weigh in?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List