Page 259 of 725 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269309359 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    For some best-case scenario stuff...why not Zoidberg? Or Germany?

Name:  germ.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  21.2 KB

What is that, a .26% mortality rate? What are the Germs doing that makes them so superior?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Is it an assumption that the area under the curves is the same? If so, does anyone with more bio knowledge than me think that assumption is justified? I get the math, and I understand the problems with the Lancet study. Just trying to get as good a technical grasp on it as possible.

If that's covered in the study, I apologize, I only read someone else's highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post

What is that, a .26% mortality rate? What are the Germs doing that makes them so superior?

Well, if anyone can lie with statistics...

(Then again...I haven't a clue.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    A question for law enforcement folks: what exactly are the implications of these "shelter in place" orders that are beginning to pop up? I realize the particulars will vary based on jurisdiction, but the way media outlets are explaining it, it sounds like an extra stern, "Please don't leave your house."
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Drinking lots of beer for its anti-viral properties.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Is there still no reliable educated guess on when things will start to go back to normal? I only ask because my fiancee ask me at least 10 times a day as does her mother.
    Go in your man cave. Turn on the stereo. Reload ammo until you run out of a component.

If you lean more towards the German authorities, they are relying on their excellent, extensive healthcare system.

If you lean more towards international observers like NN Taleb, they are certifying under a better-looking comorbid CoD whenever remotely possible. If you look at things like how some European countries tend to categorize infant mortality, that would make some sense, though in all fairness, it's probably some of both.

China, for example, (rarely a good example of accurate statistics) has an absurdly low number of deaths from influenza, like <200 per year for 1.4 billion people, because their recording methods are almost directly opposite to those in the US. Where the US estimates flu deaths mathematically and records them in practically any case of "deaths that occur in people for whom influenza infection was likely a contributor to the cause of death, but not necessarily the primary cause of death”, in China if there is anything else at all going on, either pre-existing or secondary to the flu, that goes on the records instead.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well, if anyone can lie with statistics...

(Then again...I haven't a clue.)
    Heyoooooo!!

If you look at the number of closed cases(160) vs. active cases(15,300), it appears that they're fairly early in the cycle. Those numbers could change.

South Korea is farther along and has done well:

Name:  Skorea.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  22.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    When looking at any data, one of the first thoughts should be "Compared to what?"

So in a "normal" year:
    Attachment 50217
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

That's roughly 7500 deaths/day.

Another good number for comparison is motor vehicle accident deaths; approximately 35,000/year, or 100/day.
    These are valid numbers, but we should be cautious about whether they are actually "comparable". For example, almost all of them occur at relatively static rates (when viewed in terms of years, rather than decades), and those rates are influenced more by long-term trends in behaviour and healthcare services/technology/pharmacology, not by the introduction or proliferation of something with the potential for rapid, open-ended multiplication. While an infectious disease like COVID-19 has a high potential (probability, really) to increase rapidly and exponentially in a relatively short amount of time, the same can't be said of cerebrovascular disease.

User Tag List