Page 254 of 725 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    On the surface this sounds like a good idea. Keeps the cruise ship companies from going bottoms up, provides an effective quarantine for The Infected.

I'm actually sort of surprised this wasn't put in to place already.
    Well they might have to spend a while disinfecting these ships first. Wonder how long that would take?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Well they might have to spend a while disinfecting these ships first. Wonder how long that would take?
    I can't imagine more than a day or two. As long as anyone in charge is willing to lift a finger, we have the resources to do this.

You also don't need to disinfect the ships if you're putting infected people on them.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I can't imagine more than a day or two. As long as anyone in charge is willing to lift a finger, we have the resources to do this.

You also don't need to disinfect the ships if you're putting infected people on them.
    You still have to protect the medical personnel on board. Hopefully they would make some modifications inside to maintain clean areas.

Kinda interesting. 2009 microbiology textbook

Name:  55B9454D-9EEA-40D9-8590-B91C21235607.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  55.6 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

You still have to protect the medical personnel on board. Hopefully they would make some modifications inside to maintain clean areas.
    The solution to me appears to have them wear PAPRs and Tyvek suits, and go off the boat when you need to take it off. From what I heard from my wife's coworker who was recently quarantined on the Grand Princess, this is how it worked.

Sealing off sections of the boat to make them clean areas is futile.....cruise ships are way too complex and porous. Treat the whole damn thing as a red zone. The Infected will need all the roaming space they can get, anyway. Make the decon area and clean zone off the boat where there's plenty of space to do it right, which is how all of our equipment is setup to do it anyway.

The solution to me appears to have them wear PAPRs and Tyvek suits, and go off the boat when you need to take it off. From what I heard from my wife's coworker who was recently quarantined on the Grand Princess, this is how it worked.

Sealing off sections of the boat to make them clean areas is futile.....cruise ships are way too complex and porous. Treat the whole damn thing as a red zone. The Infected will need all the roaming space they can get, anyway. Make the decon area and clean zone off the boat where there's plenty of space to do it right, which is how all of our equipment is setup to do it anyway.
    I hope they can make it work...just considering the events that occurred previously on those ships.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but for susceptible patients, COVID-19 isn’t the only concern. There are other infections that subsequently take hold and kill people. Just because everyone has the virus doesn’t mean that there isn’t still other contagion risk.

Some knowledgeable person in an interview mentioned that cruise ships ventilate by recycling air among the cabins, thus exposing everyone to what everyone else is infected with.

What if the medical personnel were mostly drawn from the functional infected? That’s one of the scenarios we gamed back in the day for pandemic response... effective utilization of our walking wounded medical professionals and paraprofessionals.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    I think it was mentioned earlier, but for susceptible patients, COVID-19 isn’t the only concern. There are other infections that subsequently take hold and kill people. Just because everyone has the virus doesn’t mean that there isn’t still other contagion risk.

Some knowledgeable person in an interview mentioned that cruise ships ventilate by recycling air among the cabins, thus exposing everyone to what everyone else is infected with.
    When the other option is having them self-quarantine with limited integrity, and doing so in their apartment building or condo where their air is circulated with other units full of people who don't yet have the virus.....

...this becomes a pretty moot point. Sort of like people who used to say that you shouldn't apply a TQ because you could cause nerve damage, but the other option is bleeding out and death.

There's simply no feasible way to do this while keeping each person individually isolated from the other infected. Put'em on a cruise ship, or in a ward, or in an apartment building. They're going to be somewhere where they're sharing germs with eachother, so let's think about the entire idea of the quarantine to begin with (to keep Covid-19 away from the uninfected) and aim to fulfill that goal first before we throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    No, you will still look like a twat. At the market yesterday (still need food), there was one guy wearing dry wall mask. Looked like a -- pick your genital to describe him.

He is not infected as he would have been quarantined. Weird thing at the market - a old guy (older than me) asked me if I was the monsignor. Huh? I had to tell him no.

A woman told me that now we know that folks don't like Brussels sprouts as the frozen section was full of them. Plenty of fresh veggies though. Plenty of higher end meat and fish.
    Lots of vegan options, too.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List