Page 25 of 725 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125525 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Any suggestions on a better surface disinfectant than this one?
    Looking to have something on hand for use at home, for counters, sinks and toilets, etc.

Clorox® Clean-Up Cleaner + Bleach

FYI Clorox info page HERE. Recommends only 30 seconds of wet exposure to this product. Pretty quick, it seems.
    Save your money. Buy good old-fashioned bleach, mix a half-cut to a cup in a gallon of water. Spray that on surfaces, let it sit for ten minutes and then wipe off.

“Surfaces” are everything touchable, including handles, light switches, etc. If someone is sick and uses the toilet, after it's flushed, dump in a half-cup of bleach and flush again.

That's pretty much what's recommended for killing noroviruses.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 02-13-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Save your money. Buy good old-fashioned bleach, mix a half-cut to a cup in a gallon of water. Spray that on surfaces, let it sit for ten minutes and then wipe off.

Surfaces is everything touchable, including handles, light switches, etc. If someone is sick and uses the toilet, after it's flushed, dump in a half-cup of bleach and flush again.

That's pretty much what's recommended for killing noroviruses.
    Pretty close to the recommended cleaning protocol for C. Difficile, too.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Pardon my trivial question, but is there an established way one is supposed to pronounce that which is written as “CoVID?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For those members who have more medical knowledge than I (most members), multiple companies and at least one nation state have announced vaccines for CoVID-19 are in development. But my understanding, flawed that it is, is that this virus is in the same family of viruses as the common cold. Since there is no vaccine for the common cold, is a vaccine possible for this virus? Or is it going to end up being something like the flu shot which is required annually as different strains propagate? Or is it too early for discussions of a vaccine?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    For those members who have more medical knowledge than I (most members), multiple companies and at least one nation state have announced vaccines for CoVID-19 are in development. But my understanding, flawed that it is, is that this virus is in the same family of viruses as the common cold. Since there is no vaccine for the common cold, is a vaccine possible for this virus? Or is it going to end up being something like the flu shot which is required annually as different strains propagate? Or is it too early for discussions of a vaccine?
    Well, "the common cold" is actually caused by a number of viruses, of which the coronavirus family is only one. This is one big reason there is no vaccine for the common cold - as these viruses structurally are not necessarily very similar, it is impossible to make a vaccine that would provide adequate coverage for all of them. The other reason, of course, is that the common cold is not life threatening, which makes the economics of developing such a vaccine fairly unattractive.

The reason that flu shots are required every year is because the flu has a segmented genome. This means its genetic material is highly rearrangeable (think Legos) and, as it co-inhabits a host with other strains of flu virus, they swap big chunks of genetic material, giving rise to a structurally very distinct new virus almost overnight. Because vaccines work by training your immune system to recognize very specific viral proteins, each time the flu undergoes a genetic shift it produces a variant of flu that is most likely not covered by the last year's vaccine. CoVID 19 is not a segmented virus, so that should not be a problem.

As for this virus, CoVID 19 is a specific strain that is fairly structurally distinct. I don't know enough about virology or vaccine production to tell you how difficult it will be to make a vaccine against this virus - that is outside my wheelhouse. Usually, vaccines are simply purified, heat-killed virus, injected into your body so your immune system is exposed to the bug in a harmless form. There may be something about the coronavirus family that makes this approach more challenging, but like I said, outside my wheelhouse.

Because several of the proteins this virus makes as part of its life cycle are similar to proteins used by other viruses, there are existing anti-viral therapies that may be efficacious against it. Remdisivir, for example, the experimental anti-viral drug used on the first US case, works by acting as a 'suicide' building block for new viral copies. There are a couple other anti-virals that have been suggested may have efficacy against CoVID 19 but I don't remember them off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 02-14-2020 at 07:44 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    PS - a good article on the psychology of risk assessment re: CoVID 19

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/w...gtype=Homepage

Useful link for N95 use: Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...trategies.html

This document offers guidance on how to optimize supplies of N95 filtering facepiece respirators (commonly called “N95 respirators”) in healthcare settings in the face of potential ongoing 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) transmission in the United States. The recommendations are intended for use by professionals who manage respiratory protection programs, occupational health services, and infection prevention programs in healthcare institutions to protect healthcare personnel (HCP) from job-related risks of exposure to infectious respiratory illnesses.
    Also: Recommended Guidance for Extended Use and Limited Reuse of N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators in Healthcare Settings
    https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcw...nceextuse.html

Supplies of N95 respirators can become depleted during an influenza pandemic (1-3) or wide-spreadoutbreaks of other infectious respiratory illnesses.(4) Existing CDC guidelines recommend a combination of approaches to conserve supplies while safeguarding health care workers in such circumstances. These existing guidelines recommend that health care institutions:
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    My thoughts and best wishes are with your wife's family. Outside of China, it's hard for people to understand how much impact this is having on people's lives there, or the worry people have both in the near and long term. I wish them all the best...加油武汉Â…加油湖北Â…加油中国人民!

That's so true about the conditions in rural healthcare settings in China. Though they have come a long way recently, there are still a lot of places that would shock Western observers. Until you've seen a live pig in the waiting area of a rural hospital, you haven't really experienced rural Chinese healthcare. (The pig wasn't a patient, but was accompanying one because he was in town for the market and didn't have anywhere to park the pig while getting seen by a doctor. Nobody batted an eye.)
    55 years ago I saw a chicken with his feet tied in a rural Mississippi doctor's waiting room.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    55 years ago I saw a chicken with his feet tied in a rural Mississippi doctor's waiting room.
    Guess he crossed the road once too many times...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I just now saw a news blurb that more than 1700 health care workers in China have been diagnosed with the virus.

About NK executing the infected official seen in a public bath when told to avoid going out. In our world that is barbaric. In this case NK may have saved lives by taking this action--getting rid of an infected dumb ass and setting an example. Though I do not recommend this action, I feel small sympathy for the victim who is an official in a country that has no health care system.

User Tag List