Page 247 of 725 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257297347 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

What say you all about this? A small clinical trial shows 100% cure rate from combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin.

Tweet:
    https://twitter.com/riganoesq/status...604809728?s=21

Pre-publication study:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/186B...IlWSHnGbj/view

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    What say you all about this? A small clinical trial shows 100% cure rate from combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin.

Tweet:

Pre-publication study:
    If it works, it is going to be an inexpensive, readily available treatment. Here's hoping that it is the answer.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    An interesting article in Stat magazine that questions our reaction to covid 19 based on the data we have.

The data collected so far on how many people are infected and how the epidemic is evolving are utterly unreliable. Given the limited testing to date, some deaths and probably the vast majority of infections due to SARS-CoV-2 are being missed. We don’t know if we are failing to capture infections by a factor of three or 300. Three months after the outbreak emerged, most countries, including the U.S., lack the ability to test a large number of people and no countries have reliable data on the prevalence of the virus in a representative random sample of the general population
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/

Honestly, I’m beginning to lean on the side of our society and institutions weathering a short term fast burn or perhaps exponentially more deaths than living like we are currently trying to do, plus weeks of complete lockdowns for 12 to 18 months. California is going to be the bell weather for this starting this weekend.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post

Tweet:

Pre-publication study:
    I didn't click through, but just seeing this post makes me think think that I should have offered @Nephrology a formal wager on chloroquine when it came up about 100 pages ago!

The last few days here have been totally crazy. My institution cancelled all elective surgeries, which is definitely not crazy. I think they may have also cancelled all "non-essential" surgeries, though I don't know what the difference is between the two. Other clinics in the institution are starting to cancel their appointments to reduce the number of people on campus. Blood donations have dropped faster than the stock market, and there is a very real danger that we and everyone else will be out of blood next week. Commercial test kits will start to come online soon, but key reagents required for a lot of these kits are now out of stock everywhere. Viral transport medium used for transporting the sample from the patient to the lab is out of stock everywhere. Companies are putting backordered items on allocation plans with preference being given to institutions in coronavirus hotspots. The buffers used to make transport medium are starting to go out of stock. Collection swabs are difficult but not yet impossible to find. I need sleep now.

I hope the 4 gastric sleeves my facility did today have good results *eyeroll*

Site Supporter
    I forgot to mention that it took me 16 minutes to drive from home to campus this morning. That time crushed my previous 21 minute record, which was itself an anomaly. Oftentimes, it's a 30 minute drive, sometimes 45. I'm not ashamed to admit that I LOVE quarantine traffic! And we're really not even under quarantine.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I hope the 4 gastric sleeves my facility did today have good results *eyeroll*
    Well as long as there's blood left for the kid that is going to be in that bad car wreck next week...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Speaking of Blood...

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/...2IJNq8HZ9YvoWg

Baltimore Mayor Begs Residents To Stop Shooting Each Other So Hospital Beds Can Be Used For Coronavirus Patients

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Baltimore Mayor Jack Young urged residents to put down their guns and heed orders to stay home after multiple people were shot Tuesday night amidst the coronavirus pandemic.

Young said hospital beds are needed to treat positive COVID-19 patients and not for senseless violence. Seven people were shot Tuesday night in the Madison Park neighborhood, as Baltimore reported its fifth positive coronavirus case Wednesday.

“I want to reiterate how completely unacceptable the level of violence is that we have seen recently,” Young said. “We will not stand for mass shootings and an increase in crime.”
    For those of you who want to continue to shoot and kill people of this city, we’re not going to tolerate it,” Young implored. “We’re going to come after you and we’re going to get you.”

He urged people to put down their guns because “we cannot clog up our hospitals and their beds with people that are being shot senselessly because we’re going to need those beds for people infected with the coronavirus. And it could be your mother, your grandmother or one of your relatives. So take that into consideration.”

Commissioner Michael Harrison said the city has seen an uptick in violent crimes since Friday, including a mass shooting Tuesday night — where seven people were shot. Five people were transported to area hospitals via medics and two took private cars to the hospitals for treatment. All seven are in serious but stable condition.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-19-2020 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    All foreclosures and evictions suspended until the end of April. Interesting.. I bet that will be extended.

@ roughly 5:55

I assume the suspension order only applies to residences secured by a HUD/FHA mortgage as I struggle to see what power fed.gov has to be involved in an eviction or foreclosure, which are both handled at the county/city level. While a lot of homes are mortgaged via Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, many are not. Some have no mortgages. So there should be ability to stop evictions on all residences. The confusion and court cases will be epic. That being said, there will be many who will take advantage of a rent and mortgage holiday. I get the underlying sentiment of not wanting to hurt people who cannot pay due to the economic disruption, but this seems to be enabling more of the "FSA" culture.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I assume the suspension order only applies to residences secured by a HUD/FHA mortgage as I struggle to see what power fed.gov has to be involved in an eviction or foreclosure, which are both handled at the county/city level. While a lot of homes are mortgaged via Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, many are not. Some have no mortgages. So there should be ability to stop evictions on all residences. The confusion and court cases will be epic. That being said, there will be many who will take advantage of a rent and mortgage holiday. I get the underlying sentiment of not wanting to hurt people who cannot pay due to the economic disruption, but this seems to be enabling more of the "FSA" culture.
    I don't think it's about not wanting to hurt people. Most governments, whether they admit it or not, have the Stalin mentality of (paraphrased) "one death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic..." I think it's more about dumping a large batch of new homeless people (and vira multipliers) on the streets during the upswing of a pandemic and the violent panic, crime wave, et. al. that would very likely ensue -- not to mention the possible numbers of pitchfork murdered landlords and bank managers. Losing what you have is tragic.. being put in a situation where losing a 'safe haven' from, and possibly (at least in the panicked mind) thrust directly into contact with, a potentially deadly virus may spur some extreme behavior which could have been avoided.

Then again, perhaps it would be nothing all and people would sheepishly herd themselves to the inevitable.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

User Tag List