Page 237 of 725 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Is there a strict definition for what constitutes "elective procedure"?
    Yes. An elective procedure is a pre-scheduled non-emergency procedure not required to save the patient's life.

Schwarzenegger's open heart surgery a while back was erroneously called "elective". It was "semi-elective", since it was needed to save his life long-term, but wasn't an immediate emergency.

*disclaimer: I'm a well-read software developer/bioinformatician, not a doctor or medical coder.

ETA: Disclaimer was useful, as witnessed by the reply posted while I was typing. I guess it shows how software developers that support research/domain experts consider "strict definitions".

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Not really, not in this situation. Ordinarily everything that's not emergent (immediate time frame) or urgent (within day-two) is elective. With the COVID and attempts to minimize non-urgent stuff and push the elective stuff out by 2 months this definition is breaking down.
    My wife is an OR nurse at a small surgical center, and that's basically what she was hearing through the grapevine. All the major hospital systems here seem to agree that cancelling elective procedures is a good idea, but no one seems to agree what actually constitutes "elective" under these circumstances.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post

ETA: Disclaimer was useful, as witnessed by the reply posted while I was typing. I guess it shows how software developers that support research/domain experts consider "strict definitions".
    You actually were totally correct. Elective or planned under normal circumstances is a heterogeneous group. A coronary bypass can be a planned surgery with a couple of weeks delay, and valve surgery often times can be delayed longer, but it's different from a planned knee replacement.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Anyone else seeing a massive decrease in call quality for Skype today? We've been using it for language school without issue, and today it's been terrible.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime
    Listening to surgery podcast today. Doc from Texas Tech describes how they were saving surgical supplies only to have some dirtbag break in to supply rooms and ransack them.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000468637789

I hate this world at times. Never in my wildest thoughts would it occur to me that a hospital supply room would get robbed. But that is why I am in medicine not law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I need a refresher. I was under impression that the in hospital arrest had a worse prognosis.
    There has been a trend toward improved outcomes over the past decade. Table 2 illustrates this trend:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../#!po=0.505051

Much of that improvement is driven by studies from Asia that may not be applicable to the US. I think that the all-cause survival to discharge with good neuro recovery from in-hospital is probably on the lower end of that spectrum (ie closer to 20%) in the US.

https://www.dicardiology.com/article...ights-weekends
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Is there any data on the ease of transmission of the virus in an outdoor setting vs indoors?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We just had a 5.7 magnitude quake. Can you believe it? Literally last thing we need.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Anyone else seeing a massive decrease in call quality for Skype today? We've been using it for language school without issue, and today it's been terrible.
    A number of video chat / conference systems are suffering from degraded performance right now, including Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yes, I am on a multi-continent call now and the call quality is varying from moment to moment.

User Tag List