Page 234 of 725 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Nice concise video detailing the 'flattening of the curve' and the importance of taking extreme measures for social distancing with earlier being better. Most everyone here understands this, but, just in case Florida-man/woman invades PF

You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Saur View Post
    Divorces spiking hard in China. They're even limiting the amount that can go through now in some places there x.x
    Was about to say this in response to Stephanie. Heard courts got flooded day they lifted quarantines in each city. Sadly also heard DV went up as well during the lockdowns.

Well, my scheduled training event for the weekend is now postponed and not canceled, no word on a new date. Since he did not cancel, per his policy refunds are unavailable. All I'll say is that for the price he commands, whatever new date he chooses had better work out for me. Taccon handled the cancellation properly, in my opinion. Refund or enrolled next year's conference, buyer's choice. While I have no basic objection to putting the money towards the next course (and would likely go that route), I still think customers ought to have the option of a refund.

Not sure how much HCW here are seeing this or how relevant, but I found an English version of the Chinese National Health Commission guide to diagnosing & treating the novel coronavirus. Haven’t shared earlier since I didn’t know a translation existed.

Original: http://www.nhc.gov.cn/xcs/zhengcwj/2...12eb1989.shtml

Translation by Chinese consulate in Pusan: http://busan.china-consulate.org/chn...8447287942.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    No idea on that, but, for the last 11 days or so, our curve ran literally in lockstep with Italy’s, only exactly 11 days behind. I was hoping that our social distancing would give us a chance to slow that curve relative to Italy. Sadly, as of today, we’ve actually sprinted a day ahead of Italy’s curve. No fucking bueno.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

vs
    It’s going to be difficult to say for sure, but we could have jumped Italy’s numbers due to increased testing on our part.

The numbers are too close, in my opinion, to interpret much from.

Bear in mind - The numbers are time delayed. We are not testing (and neither is Italy) every person, just those with symptoms. Symptoms take 2-14 days to appear, average seems 5 days. So case number lags behind. For every day social distancing took to really implement (and let’s be fair, yesterday was really the first day of work from home for most of the nation), was us kicking the numerical impact 5 days down the road.

To me - Thursday was the day that the nation took note and Friday folks started doing something about it. So that’s five days today. So at this point we can be seeing folks who were infected last Mon-Fri showing in test numbers today. When we will see the numbers from social distancing is probably not until ~Friday of this week to Monday next week.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Let them all get down there, then close the border and stop all of the flights out. Keep all the dumbasses in one place.

Or, if you want to get all Dr. Evil on them.

Once they are there, use a "laser" to sever FL from the rest of the US.

cc
    People being dumb is going to happen everywhere I'm afraid.

If it was as simple as containing things to a single state it would greatly simplify things. Unfortunately, doesn't look like thats an option. I understand the sentiment and need to blow off steam about it. I truly dont know how to get through to my own parents and family - nevermind strangers. They look at the overall numbers and see little danger. They don't understand that it spreads faster and is more lethal. Because flu has killed more, and more people have it, right? They dont connect the gap in testing. I dont know how to correctly explain it. And anyone stating facts is fear mongering. They fail to register that the facts are scary.

-Cory

Site Supporter

This was interesting about China: “Through the hospitalisation of all cases (not just those requiring hospital care), China in effect initiated a form of case isolation, reducing onward transmission from cases in the household and in other settings. At the same time, by implementing population-wide social distancing, the opportunity for onward transmission in all locations was rapidly reduced. Several studies have estimated that these interventions reduced R to below 115. In recent days, these measures have begun to be relaxed. Close monitoring of the situation in China in the coming weeks will therefore help to inform strategies in other countries.”

And this lays out what nobody in the government has talked about yet, but seemed inevitable. That we’ll probably be doing this, with perhaps sporadic lifts on some restrictions for the next 18 months or until a vaccine is available.

P.s. I hope their stupid fucking model is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Let them all get down there, then close the border and stop all of the flights out. Keep all the dumbasses in one place.

Or, if you want to get all Dr. Evil on them.

Once they are there, use a "laser" to sever FL from the rest of the US.

cc
    Florida would already have fallen off to the bottom of the Atlantic... if Georgia didn't suck so much.

Kidding just kidding... the suckage is centralized directly in Atlanta.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Here’s a link to the paper that Grey the .gov is basing current social distancing policy on for the folks who can’t see twitters. From the imperial college in the UK.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

Orange County CA
    No private gatherings of any size ... unless essential

http://www.ochealthinfo.com/civicax/...?BlobID=114362

User Tag List