Page 230 of 725 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280330 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/u...-bay-area.html

In six counties — San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda Counties — officials ordered residents to shelter in place starting on Tuesday. On Monday evening, Santa Cruz County leaders joined them.

...Like in Los Angeles, where officials on Monday expanded restrictions from the city to encompass the entire county of more than 10 million people, gyms, movie theaters and lots of other businesses in the Bay Area will have to close.

But unlike in L.A., residents of the affected counties will also be mostly barred from leaving home except for “essential” activities and travel.
    Out of curiosity, what are they doing about the tens of thousands of homeless? Probably nothing. What actually could be done? They aren't going to jail them.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    @ccmdfd @YVK @Doc_Glock @Sensei @45dotACP from Temple MICU director, via a fellow. for what it's worth.

As a sanity check, ~57% of elderly patients in the Life Care Center nursing home (about the worst possible population & environment) did not contract the coronavirus, let alone develop severe symptoms.

edit: the article makes more clear they are saying 41% of adults who contract the virus are at risk for severe symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/u...-bay-area.html

Out of curiosity, what are they doing about the tens of thousands of homeless? Probably nothing. What actually could be done? They aren't going to jail them.
    They have allocated $5 million for homeless services, including paying for single occupancy hotel rooms. By my rough calculation, if they used all $5m on hotel rooms for the city's 8,000+ homeless they would run out of money in less than a week (and that is paying half price for SF's hotel rooms).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 03-17-2020 at 04:40 PM.

With disinfectant wipes and sprays being unavailable, does anyone have a recommendation for cleaners that will do the same job that are still readily available? Looking to clean surfaces at work, lots of buildings, lots of surfaces.

Site Supporter
    Deleted

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    As a sanity check, ~57% of elderly patients in the Life Care Center nursing home (about the worst possible population & environment) did not contract the coronavirus, let alone develop severe symptoms.

edit: the article makes more clear they are saying 41% of adults who contract the virus are at risk for severe symptoms.
    Fair enough- I hadn’t thought to read/interpret the summary the way you did.

What I got out if it was “if they get COVID-19, 41% of adult Americans will get very sick”

Implied conclusion: “You really don’t want to risk getting this virus, as it is entirely possible it will wreck you.”

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Josh Runkle, @Tom Duffy,

NJ OEMS just released a bunch of waivers for EMS.

Paramedics are now allowed to work in the hospital at their current scope of practice....previously, if you were a medic, you could work in the hospital but only as a Critical Care Technician....which is the same level an EMT could work at, and you couldn't perform any ALS level work. Basically a nice word for a CNA but with the understanding that CCTs usually aren't shitshows like CNAs.

ALS units are now authorized to be staffed by 1 EMT and 1 Paramedic....previously, they had to have two medics minimum.

BLS units are now authorized to be staffed by 1 EMT and 1 First Responder. No, not a Certified First Responder....just "First Responder", which NJ OEMS describes in the waiver as simply needing a professional rescuer CPR cert. Note: OEMS regulated units previously required two EMTs. Volunteer units that don't bill are "regulated" by the NJ First Grade Council, and previously only required 1 EMT and 1 first responder.

There's a bunch of regulatory bullshit regarding recertification timelines that's getting pushed to the side as well. In addition, people with certs from outside the state, from any state, are allowed to work in NJ. Previously you had to have a NJ certification.

Basically, what this does is allows a bunch of non-emergency people working in the hospital that aren't needed due to curtailment of regular business to take a 1 day BLS class and drive an ambulance, so agencies can push 1 EMT-per-truck-per-shift to an ALS unit, allowing that same ALS unit on a 1:1 basis push a paramedic to the hospital to perform ALS level care.

This is a giant leap of common sense overruling regulations for NJ EMS, which is a fucking disaster of a shitshow in general throughout the state and decades behind some portions of the country.
    This seems like a great plan to keep ALS providers in the hospital system and keep ambulances staffed in the weeks ahead.

Between ED Nursing, my medic job and Nurse Practitioner clinicals, I’m already at potentially hundreds of exposures, taking care of patients 12-24 hours, 7 days a week. I’m burnt out already and this thing isn’t even close to getting bad yet. How is everyone else holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    My BIL (doctor) sent me the link to this article:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...kff-finds.html

Looks like our medical system has some tough days ahead.
    The way I read this, it means IF someone in the US contracts the coronavirus, and IF they contacted the virus due to advanced age and/or underlying health issues, they THEN have a 41% chance of that illness being quite serious?

Isn't that just repeating what has been said all along?

"IF you come down with the coronavirus AND you are elderly and/or have underlying health issues like diabetes, heart disease, etc. then you have a higher chance (now apparently quantified as 41%) of becoming seriously ill, or even dying."

It might just be me, but it seems as though many of the statistics being bering shared about this virus are quite easily misinterpreted.

I am in no way attempting to diminish the serious nature of the coronavirus, but some of these statistics an be interpreted incorrectly, if one is not careful.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan9 View Post
    With disinfectant wipes and sprays being unavailable, does anyone have a recommendation for cleaners that will do the same job that are still readily available? Looking to clean surfaces at work, lots of buildings, lots of surfaces.
    Bleach solution.

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.html

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/covid-...ng-with-bleach
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List