Page 226 of 725 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I believe it reflects the general feeling of the population, but not those of the government.
    That's an absolutely valid distinction. Many Americans would be (pleasantly) surprised at how well-liked American people and the US itself are among most Chinese people, and how much ambivalence most people in China have towards politics in general. As an utterly undemocratic nation, the gap between public opinion and government policy can be wide at times, but it's important to remember that also means public opinion has little or no influence for the better on government thinking, which is definitely deeply, vigorously anti-American.

One of my big worries coming out of all of this is how the propaganda machine is successfully subverting the government's profound and inherent failings that hugely contributed to the making of the whole pandemic, and turn them into some kind of rescue operation. As one of my more astute friends in China said early on, "This is a natural emergency, but a man-made disaster".

(Sorry, mods please feel free to move this reply to the "Coronavirus Economy/Politics" thread if needed.)

In a bit of good news, Tom and Rita are already out of the hospital.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...anks-hospital/

Also, Idris Elba has it.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ba-coronavirus
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Recently a kid filling up his vehicle was within 5 feet of my pump where I was I was adding gas to my tank. He lit a cigarette. When I criticized him, his big lard ass mother jumped out and screamed at me. I told her that my mistake was that I overlooked the fact that her son was so stupid that he could not help it. Then I apologized to her son for interfering with his smoke break. I was not armed so I could run my mouth without being irresponsible.
    Had the same thing happen to me, although it was several years ago. Stopped at a big Wa Wa or Sheetz on 29 coming home from Charlottesville. Older guy next to me is filling up his big RV and smoking. I rarely say anything to anyone, but told him he wasn't supposed to be doing that. He told me to f--- off. I got back in my car and got my gas somewhere else.

From the Bangor, ME PD Facebook page:

Bangor Maine Police Department

The dark midnight shift in America is being staffed by nurses, using supplies delivered by the American trucker, after being loaded—somewhere—by the American laborer, who is supported by their spouse who has had to take off from work so that the kids will not be alone.
    Each of them are tired, riddled with concerns for their own families, and they worry for their aging parents. They were probably fed—somewhere—today by a server who survives on tips, and, worries about the loss of income as much as they fear coming down with an illness that seems unstoppable, even while some of the outcomes are unthinkable.
    Somewhere, a recently retired factory worker pulls into their part-time job, stocking shelves, at a grocery store near you. He is hopeful that tonight's truck is full, and that he can leave before the doors open in the morning when the rush of panicked citizens look for toilet paper, beans, and hand sanitizer. He will be back tomorrow night, and he will do, and hope, the same things again.
    The doctor who seemed like they didn't care about your minor issue, probably wasn't, but they had been at the clinic for twenty-seven-hours already, and they were wondering if their daughter—currently in college in Arizona—would be able to find a storage facility for their furniture before driving home to finish the semester online. It's a long drive for a 19-year-old who is concerned about driving alone, cross-country.
    The eyes of those who you walk by, tomorrow, are windows to a soul just like yours. Try to put yourself in their shoes, even though yours seem uncomfortable.
    Just some thoughts from an old guy, who wonders about the same things you do. Again, we got through today, and we will do the same tomorrow.
    Please follow the simple rules and suggestions from your local, state, and federal leaders. It's not a great time for sniping one another. We can get back to all that later.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.
    We will be here, call if you need us.
    TC
    BPD

Yesterday on the way home from work I stopped at the local gun store to see the situation - a friend wanted to pick up a pump shotgun, he lives in the hood (Austin neighborhood of Chicago.) The place was nuts, wall to wall people and lines thirty people deep. I got out of there and reported back that he is most likely screwed for the duration.

I then stopped at my local supermarket (Woodman’s for the locals and cheeseheads in the room) to look for a few things. They are still fairly well stocked, but they are also rationing certain items (TP, paper towels, eggs, milk) to reasonable levels. No panic or rudeness like I saw in Boston last week, but the checkout line was amazing - they had a line zig-zagging through the store that took an hour to run, with employees keeping things organized. Woodman’s is the size of a Walmart, so believe me when I say this was a long assed line.

And, of course, I forgot a few things. Nothing that can’t wait a week or two for the panic buying to die down.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    This cartoon is circulating widely on social media in China, and I think pretty much sums up the general feeling among the population there:Attachment 50058

(The signs and slogans in Chinese are all exhortations, “get well soon!”, “stay strong!” kinds of things.)
    And what about the flag being held by China?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    From the Bangor, ME PD Facebook page:

Bangor Maine Police Department

The dark midnight shift in America is being staffed by nurses, using supplies delivered by the American trucker, after being loaded—somewhere—by the American laborer, who is supported by their spouse who has had to take off from work so that the kids will not be alone.
    Each of them are tired, riddled with concerns for their own families, and they worry for their aging parents. They were probably fed—somewhere—today by a server who survives on tips, and, worries about the loss of income as much as they fear coming down with an illness that seems unstoppable, even while some of the outcomes are unthinkable.
    Somewhere, a recently retired factory worker pulls into their part-time job, stocking shelves, at a grocery store near you. He is hopeful that tonight's truck is full, and that he can leave before the doors open in the morning when the rush of panicked citizens look for toilet paper, beans, and hand sanitizer. He will be back tomorrow night, and he will do, and hope, the same things again.
    The doctor who seemed like they didn't care about your minor issue, probably wasn't, but they had been at the clinic for twenty-seven-hours already, and they were wondering if their daughter—currently in college in Arizona—would be able to find a storage facility for their furniture before driving home to finish the semester online. It's a long drive for a 19-year-old who is concerned about driving alone, cross-country.
    The eyes of those who you walk by, tomorrow, are windows to a soul just like yours. Try to put yourself in their shoes, even though yours seem uncomfortable.
    Just some thoughts from an old guy, who wonders about the same things you do. Again, we got through today, and we will do the same tomorrow.
    Please follow the simple rules and suggestions from your local, state, and federal leaders. It's not a great time for sniping one another. We can get back to all that later.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.
    We will be here, call if you need us.
    TC
    BPD
    Absolutely perfect.

Site Supporter
    Volunteer gets first coronavirus vaccine test shot in Seattle

"We all feel so helpless. This is an amazing opportunity for me to do something," Jennifer Haller, 43, of Seattle, said as she awaited the shot.
    Bravo Jennifer. And Thanks.

/tangent
    Cynical me appreciates the possibility this is just another step to calm panic, but, either way, putting your body on the line for it deserves respect.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Using Google Lens (on Android) to select the text from the image, and then Google Translate, gives "Come on!" with alternate translations of "refuel" and "make an all-out effort".

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    it says "jia you", which is a popular chinese idiom/exhortation meaning "let's go!/come on!". Commonly chanted during sports games and those types of events. If you literally translate the words to english it means "Add gas!" (as if you were filling up your car)

User Tag List