Page 218 of 725 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268318718 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The delays and closures are putting a damper on my dissertation, because I needed some specimens here to process. But hey, I'm not going to ask anyone to expose themselves to send me some dead animals. The animals are already dead, they aren't going anywhere.
    We can be confident that when you return they will not have become soup?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    We can be confident that when you return they will not have become soup?
    Boy that would be some terrible soup. Formalin fixed museum specimens, not high on my list to taste. In fact, I've had the misfortune of tasting them when they "splash", due to sitting in jars of formaline and alcohol. It is disgusting.

Also, pretty sure boiling formalin and drinking it as soup is a bad idea.

Now, there are no guarantees that the buildings themselves are not vaporized and/or smoking hulks when we 'return'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    It seems like lots of healthcare professionals are getting this despite proper PPE which is scary. I now understand why the chinese were wearing those Tyvek suits. I mocked them for it at first, and now feel really fucking stupid for having done so.
    Please don't think you were stupid at all. It was/is very much a case of "desperate times, desperate measures" in China, and not necessarily all PPE decisions were made based on solid research; a lot were being made based on a combination of empirical evidence, extra caution, and a big dose of "WTF do we have to lose by trying?"

There was a funny story in the NYTimes yesterday from professionals in the farm/food industry who expressed bewilderment at the run on food. Their supply chain is apparently amply stocked. So long as that holds true, I think we will see groceries returning to normal stock in the next week or two as people stop maxing out their credit cards for that 18th lb of ground beef.
    Even if there’s an ample supply of product, there’s only a supply chain if the people moving the goods stay healthy enough to show up for work. And before they show symptoms, how many will contaminate product during delivery?

Regardless, I think a lot of people are stocking up because they don’t want to make weekly trips to the store and risk exposure, not because they’re afraid of long term shortages. I’m in this category.

Site Supporter
    Speaking of PPE - Protect yo neck...

Name:  7527747A-7E40-4E51-B78B-3D44544558AF.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  41.3 KB

It seems like lots of healthcare professionals are getting this despite proper PPE which is scary. I now understand why the chinese were wearing those Tyvek suits. I mocked them for it at first, and now feel really fucking stupid for having done so.
    You ever do CBRNE training where you dip your gloves in chocolate syrup and then have to doff your PPE correctly?

It's harder than most people realize, and back when we were working the EVD days it's why we had a dedicated person to help as well as a dedicated person to watch the pair...….not to mention getting hosed down with a bleach solution before you even tried taking your shit off.

I'm totally unsurprised that transmission is happening among healthcare workers. People get tired, complacent, don't give a shit, make mistakes, etc. It's not a viral hemorrhagic fever with a cool name that makes your insides dissolve and ooze through your skin, so I'm putting money that people aren't taking the same level of care as they did with EVD despite the fact it's more infectious.

After all, it's just the flu, Neph.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    No surprise there, I can give you four nations that probably did it: N.Korea, China, Iran, or Russia. My bet would be China.
    Not because they wouldn't do such a a terrible thing (they certainly would), but I sort of doubt it was China this time. DDoS like that is pretty crude for China as a state actor (to give the devil his due, the cyber elements of the state apparatus are very good at what they do), and the timing would look *really* bad for China if traced back. The government is trying hard to build an image as the beneficent hero of COVID-19, and I don't think it would take that risk right now, especially for what was almost certain to be a long shot that wouldn't even really do that much damage if successful. I'm inclined to think it was a less adept, less sophisticated player with less to lose (Iran?).

Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    Not because they wouldn't do such a a terrible thing (they certainly would), but I sort of doubt it was China this time. DDoS like that is pretty crude for China as a state actor (to give the devil his due, the cyber elements of the state apparatus are very good at what they do), and the timing would look *really* bad for China if traced back. The government is trying hard to build an image as the beneficent hero of COVID-19, and I don't think it would take that risk right now, especially for what was almost certain to be a long shot that wouldn't even really do that much damage if successful. I'm inclined to think it was a less adept, less sophisticated player with less to lose (Iran?).
    Appreciate the insight. China also has been pushing that somehow the US brought it to China etc. I also wouldnt put it past different branches within the party pushing their agenda.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    The guys who take a dump in our bathrooms and don't flush it, and leave our hotel rooms smelling like cigarettes, aren't representative of China's top tier dudes either.

In short/for open consumption, the JV team has to practice as well.

ETA: DDoS attacks aren't a rare thing, anyway. I'm not in cyber security, but based off all the anomalies I face at work, I'd say we get attacked with some degree of success multiple times per year.

Either that, or we really do have the worst IT people in the world. "Bringing you yesterday's technology, tomorrow".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Doctor.

I know it's a bit semantic, but she spent a long time in medical school and residency and a lot of money.
    Copy. I heard it wrong. Mea Culpa. Thanks for the correction.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List