Page 215 of 725 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225265315715 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,150 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Judging by the denial I am seeing from my own family; from my 80 year old parents to my teenager sons not to mention my register nurse wife who keeps spouting “odds are none of us will get it” I am very worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Judging by the denial I am seeing from my own family; from my 80 year old parents to my teenager sons not to mention my register nurse wife who keeps spouting “odds are none of us will get it” I am very worried.
    My 75+ yo in-laws are still planning to go on a cruise in April. IIRC, cruise lines have suspended operations, so I hope this will take the decision out of their hands. For those who don't think it'll happen to them, can't help you. My BIL, who only survived a massive coronary by some miracle a decade ago, and who has been "frail" at best ever since, went to NYC two weeks ago (when we all knew shit was breaking bad), went to a Broadway show, and is now in quarantine at home because, you guessed it, one of the ushers at that show has tested positive.

My SIL in OK, an ER doc, is home quarantined, confirmed positive, despite the efforts they've been taking to minimize risk of exposure.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    One of the things that people keep citing is that Italy has more hospital beds per capita than the US.

Does Italy still do a lot of inpatient surgeries that today are mostly done as outpatient surgeries in the US? Within the last 10 years, the US has seen a dramatic number of hospital closures because we simply don't need to put as many patients in hospital beds after surgeries as we used to, due to advances in medical technology/techniques.

As one example, Beth-Israel in Manhattan is in process of transitioning from a 900 bed hospital to ~70 beds. They weren't the only one...….there was another hospital up by the Lincoln Tunnel that closed completely in 2014.

So, I guess a good question is to ask if these hospital bed comparisons between Italy and USA are accurate. What's the ICU bed per capita?
    Can't speak to how Italy drives admits s/p, but per this article it looks like you may have a point. Hopefully this gives us some advantage.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    We're on two weeks max telework here, in conjunction with a 60 day "Stop Movement" order (no official travel outside the local commuting distance). Local university just announced spring semester will be distance learning only, and all dorms to be closed and vacated by Friday (they've been on Spring Break, so I'm hoping the student population on campus is pretty small).

My son's at UTSA, and they appear to be hopeful that in-person classes will be able to resume by April 13th. Waiting for the final decision on if the rest of the semester is cancelled, if/when that happens we'll have to figure out a way to get to SA TX to help pack his things and get him home (he graduates in May, though I'm guessing there will be no ceremony).

If we decide to have one of us fly to him, is there a best practices recommendation (we don't have N95 respirators) to minimize chance of contagion? If not, we'll have to make a 20 hour drive both directions, which will obviously be more complicated...
    Check your PM’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    There was a funny story in the NYTimes yesterday from professionals in the farm/food industry who expressed bewilderment at the run on food. Their supply chain is apparently amply stocked. So long as that holds true, I think we will see groceries returning to normal stock in the next week or two as people stop maxing out their credit cards for that 18th lb of ground beef.
    That's what I'm hoping as well.
    I'm sure the panic buying would be bad no matter what, but it's also a perfect storm of factors around here due to the timing.
    Many kids were or are on spring break, and many (like us) were out of town most of last week. Late in the week people are needing to stock back up for the return to normal life, then the schools start closing so you need even more food for the kids at home. Then the panic really set in around Friday here, so it all adds up.
    I figure that people will run out of money and/or freezer space pretty soon, plus the buying limits stores are implementing, will normalize things at least for a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Right about 9:30 last night three loud knocks on the front door and some random yelling on the street. Sent the wife and kid to the basement and turned off all interior lights. Scanned as much as I could through windows without framing myself and kept the family in the basement for about 15 min while I waited upstairs pistol in hand.

Nothing came of it and still don't know if it was a kids' prank or something more. But any attempt is going to be dealt with severely.
    another friend of mine had a woman and male knock loudy and check doors/ windows. They have to german shepherds and they think that eventually scared them away. Buddy said both had one of their hands concealed in a hoody. I'm not trying to be that guy but I have "upgraded" my defensive posture with pre-staging my gun belt with loaded mags next to my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    My SIL in OK, an ER doc, is home quarantined, confirmed positive, despite the efforts they've been taking to minimize risk of exposure.
    It seems like lots of healthcare professionals are getting this despite proper PPE which is scary. I now understand why the chinese were wearing those Tyvek suits. I mocked them for it at first, and now feel really fucking stupid for having done so.

So, I'm pretty worried about both testing strategy and about how to make good decisions without testing.

Right now, someone who lives with me is in a hot-zone state for while and has come down with one of the worst flus they've ever had. Symptoms are more or less consistent with Covid-19, and they've been on domestic travel to places filled with large numbers of people from multiple countries.

But they're young and otherwise healthy, and have no shortness of breath, so Doctor recommends no ER visit (fine). And although they've traveled to places that sound ideal to transfer Covid-19, they have no close-contact with other known cases. So, no test, I guess?

How do you even react to that?

Right now, they're isolating themselves as if they have the virus, but without really knowing what's going on, at some point symptoms will subside (one hopes) and we're going to have to make a decision that they can travel again. How does one make that call? How does one judge when close-contact is safe again, especially with no actual testing?

Coumo seems to have been one of the better state level with regards to trying to do the right thing. Pretty candid in his presser today.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/ https://twitter.com/kasie/status/1239571692315443200?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    So, I'm pretty worried about both testing strategy and about how to make good decisions without testing.

Right now, someone who lives with me is in a hot-zone state for while and has come down with one of the worst flus they've ever had. Symptoms are more or less consistent with Covid-19, and they've been on domestic travel to places filled with large numbers of people from multiple countries.

But they're young and otherwise healthy, and have no shortness of breath, so Doctor recommends no ER visit (fine). And although they've traveled to places that sound ideal to transfer Covid-19, they have no close-contact with other known cases. So, no test, I guess?

How do you even react to that?

Right now, they're isolating themselves as if they have the virus, but without really knowing what's going on, at some point symptoms will subside (one hopes) and we're going to have to make a decision that they can travel again. How does one make that call? How does one judge when close-contact is safe again, especially with no actual testing?

It's unclear exactly how long the virus is transmissible for after infection. It is safe to assume up through the period of symptomaticity and probably beyond that to some degree, but how long is very unclear unfortunately. Sorry I can't give you more specific advice here, it is an open question.

I would reach out to local/state health authorities to inquire about testing. I don't know what state you're in but they are trying to roll out drive thru testing in as many locations as possible. I would definitely continue to assume they have the virus and behave accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Coumo seems to have been one of the better state level with regards to trying to do the right thing. Pretty candid in his presser today.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/ https://twitter.com/kasie/status/1239571692315443200?s=21
    Yeah, while I can't say I am Cuomo's biggest fan, I agree he is doing the right thing.

He is also probably right that it is too late to avoid overwhelming NY hospitals. The cat is definitely out of the bag. I heard through the grapevine that NYC hospitals are already starting to get slammed, but take that with a grain of salt.

User Tag List