Page 207 of 725 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307707 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Assuming that the numbers from the links are somewhat accurate...

Attachment 49961

Italy has a total number of cases around 25K, yet their entire medical system is overwhelmed. Is that an indication of the harsh nature of this virus or the crappy nature of their medical system?

Not trying to insinuate that the USA medical system wont get overwhelmed cause we are awesome, just trying too get a handle on all the apples to watermelons comparisons that are being made.
    In addittion to what Nephrology said, 85% of the deaths in Italy are in the wealthiest region of the country, compriming about 25% of the population. Not crappy services at all, quite the contrary. And people are dying not because COVID-19 is particutly difficult to treat, but simply because they don't have enough ICU beds and ventilators.

The exact same pattern is happenning rigth now in Spain (96 dead in last 24 hs), and it seems will replicate many times all over the world, my region included.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There's also the issue of nursing being staffed at the state mandated minimums in order to maximize earnings.

So, even if we had more space to convert into patient beds, we don't have the nurses to work the extra patients anyways.

I don't imagine things have changed much since I worked in healthcare.....the nurses usually didn't even have time for a lunch break. Their work tempo was similar to many police departments around the country, where cops come in to work with an entire shifts-worth of calls for service stacked up waiting for someone to answer, and the idea of them being able to actually do any policing is virtually a pipe-dream.
    plus they are required to spend an enormous amount of time on EMR's charting pretty useless stuff, but its important for the bean counters.

We had an outside firm perform a time analysis on our MICU nurses at my previous place of employment, which is a teaching facility.

For every 60 minutes, they were on the computer for 50-53 of them. Actually were doing patient care for 5 or less.

cc
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 03-15-2020 at 04:02 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    plus they are required to spend an enormous amount of time on EMR's charting pretty useless stuff, but its important for the bean counters.

We had an outside firm perform a time analysis on our MICU nurses at my previous place of employment, which is a teaching facility.

For every minutes, they were on the computer for 50-53 of them. Actually were doing patient care for 5 or less.

cc
    I imagine that stuff will be the very first thing to go...

For every minutes, they were on the computer for 50-53 of them. Actually were doing patient care for 5 or less.

cc
    Wow, I knew it was bad....I didn't realize it was that bad.

We are a society that is overly focused on performance metrics and austerity measures.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I imagine that stuff will be the very first thing to go...
    one would hope so.

But never underestimate the stupidity of hospital administrators.

I would also hope that as part of the legislation being proposed, they'd suspend things like no COPD readmission penalties, as well as loosen rules for getting people home with home vents in place.

cc

Governor DeWine just ordered all bars and restaurants in Ohio temporarily closed at 9:00 p.m. tonight—except for delivery and 'take out'....WTH that means. Besides still being behind the curve, the measure leaves avenues for transmission open.

If the .gov is going to try to delay the inevitable, they'll have to do better than this.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Wow, I knew it was bad....I didn't realize it was that bad.

We are a society that is overly focused on performance metrics and austerity measures.
    Same boat here. I was not expecting a good-looking number but was floored when I realized how bad it actually was when the study was released.

I should point out that that was roughly 10 years ago. Things may have changed since then.

cc

one would hope so.

But never underestimate the stupidity of hospital administrators.

I would also hope that as part of the legislation being proposed, they'd suspend things like no COPD readmission penalties, as well as loosen rules for getting people home with home vents in place.

cc
    Suspending EMTALA is huge. Being able to tell your drunk frequent flier to GTFO will be a nice experience for a lot of triage RNs

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Governor DeWine just ordered all bars and restaurants in Ohio temporarily closed at 9:00 p.m. tonight—except for delivery and 'take out'....WTH that means. Besides still being behind the curve, the measure leaves avenues for transmission open.

If the .gov is going to try to delay the inevitable, they'll have to do better than this.
    Illinois is right behind them

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ic_spread.html

(I heard from a musician buddy that IL is shuttered as of 10 minutes ago; probably be news in an hour or so)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post

Yeah I am not eating any delivery/takeout any time soon. Some grubby teenager handing my food is the last thing I want right now, thanks.

Same boat here. I was not expecting a good-looking number but was floored when I realized how bad it actually was when the study was released.

I should point out that that was roughly 10 years ago. Things may have changed since then.

cc
    Lol, I am sure it has only gone up!

User Tag List