Page 206 of 725 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306706 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That might be overstating it. Unless he brings friends.
    I meant from your end. The response.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I meant from your end. The response.
    I understood that. I was going for a more "measured" approach.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    France's smoking rate, at least as measured in 2016, isn't really substantially higher than the USA, believe it or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    In other news, anyone have an idea on why the cases in France show significantly higher risk for the younger population (20-40s)? Seems to be inconsistent with the data in other places like SKorea, China, Italy. Also why I think they warned about taking Ibuprofen/Advil? This also seems inconsistent with data from other locations, but maybe as a precaution it's better to take acetaminophen/tylenol until we know more. My understanding is that acetaminophen is used more widely in China so maybe that's why there wasn't an obvious correlation to ibuprofen in their data.
    both France, the Netherlands and Italy have recorded a fairly high % of patients <50 w/o comorbidities being admitted to intensive care. I think this is just the virus rearing its head in full view for us to see.

There was a comment by an Italian MD who said their first surge of patients were very old/infirm, but this was followed quickly by a younger cohort who seemed healithier. It may just be the case that we haven't gotten a full picture of this bug just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    All of the cocksure people who think this is ok should look at Italy’s overnight numbers

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

368 additional deaths in one day. It’s just a flu. Between the devastation happening in Italy and the French ICU age statistics, I’d say things are getting interesting.
    The deaths will only escalate from here now that Italy's system is fully saturated and operating well past capacity. I'm extremely worried the wheels will fall off when that happens here.

Assuming that the numbers from the links are somewhat accurate...

Name:  Snip20200315_1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  9.5 KB

Italy has a total number of cases around 25K, yet their entire medical system is overwhelmed. Is that an indication of the harsh nature of this virus or the crappy nature of their medical system?

Not trying to insinuate that the USA medical system wont get overwhelmed cause we are awesome, just trying too get a handle on all the apples to watermelons comparisons that are being made.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    All of the cocksure people who think this is ok should look at Italy’s overnight numbers

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

368 additional deaths in one day. It’s just a flu. Between the devastation happening in Italy and the French ICU age statistics, I’d say things are getting interesting.
    Continuing on with Italy’s numbers, we are still tracking more or less exactly 11 days behind Italy. Today’s johns hopkins is pretty much spot on with this graphic from the 11th:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    the common statement around here is "its just the flu"
    Up until now, those that got ahead of the rush at the big box and stocked up on preps have been accused of panic.

I think those in denial are actually too terrified to face the possibilty of a real disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Assuming that the numbers from the links are somewhat accurate...

Name:  Snip20200315_1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  9.5 KB

Italy has a total number of cases around 25K, yet their entire medical system is overwhelmed. Is that an indication of the harsh nature of this virus or the crappy nature of their medical system?

Not trying to insinuate that the USA medical system wont get overwhelmed cause we are awesome, just trying too get a handle on all the apples to watermelons comparisons that are being made.
    It's very much the nature of the virus. Italy has slightly more hospital beds per capita than the US (IIRC, ~3.2 per 1k in Italy vs 2.8 per 1k in USA).

As much as we sing its praises, America's healthcare system is definitely not that great - especially in responding to large-scale public health crises like this one.

As an easy example, take a look at the average ICU room in the US:

They are fairly large, in order to accommodate both lots of equipment as well as lots of personnel (for resuscitations, rounds, etc). Because of HIPAA and the "customer first" nature of US medicine, they are built as separate rooms. However, this also means that the room is built to accommodate exactly one bed: so both O2 and negative pressure outlets from central air as well as electrical outlets, C arms and other details literally engineered into the hospital blueprints are geared around providing care for only 1 person in that room.

This means we have tons of dead space in our ICUs, and it will be basically impossible to repurpose them. On top of that, because American hospitals are fee for service, our floor and ICU bedspace is basically always at a premium. Like the airline industry, empty seats don't earn money, so our system has more or less been designed to run quasi at-capacity during a normal year. And, with aforementioned issues around hospital design, there really isn't a lot of room to expand our capacity, either.

So, while we have lots of advanced technology (MRIs and fancy new chemotherapeutics, etc) that we can bring to bear on a single patient, we are WAY under-prepared to handle massive amounts of patients with respiratory failure. Like I said before, I anticipate we will do WORSE than Italy for these reasons and many more.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Like from Men in Black:
    J: "People are smart "
    K: " a person is smart, people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals"

cc
    I’ve thought about that line a lot in the last few days

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Like I said before, I anticipate we will do WORSE than Italy for these reasons and many more.
    There's also the issue of nursing being staffed at the state mandated minimums in order to maximize earnings.

So, even if we had more space to convert into patient beds, we don't have the nurses to work the extra patients anyways.

I don't imagine things have changed much since I worked in healthcare.....the nurses usually didn't even have time for a lunch break. Their work tempo was similar to many police departments around the country, where cops come in to work with an entire shifts-worth of calls for service stacked up waiting for someone to answer, and the idea of them being able to actually do any policing is virtually a pipe-dream.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List