Page 2 of 725 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

China has closed the airport and suspended public transportation in Wuhan; of course, the horse is well outside of the barn. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/asia/...hnk/index.html

Site Supporter
    The guy in the office next door to me was teaching a coronavirus lecture this afternoon. He had to update one slide after lunch because the morning slide on case numbers for this virus was already too dated. Much of back background is in respiratory immunity to viruses and vaccine development against the same, but these emerging coronaviruses just don't interest me as much as the emerging mosquito-borne viruses. With this virus, China can quarantine whole cities and we can check people as the get off planes. Those sorts of things will definitely help. It's much harder to control mosquitos. Anyway, like @Nephrology said, no reason to get all stirred up. (However, scary viruses can translate into more money for scientist, so if this really bothers you, feel free to write your congressmen in support of more funding for science along with more opposition to gun control.)

Who else remembers this?

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Banned
    I used to own ferrets and they were subject to something called Coronavirus and it was vicious. It caused massive intestinal bleeding. They basically bled to death in their guts

@Nephrology

Why do these outbreaks happen in China all the time, I know they're dirty and it's highly crowded but they seem to have more of these dangerous new flus than India or Indonesia, also dirty and crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    @Nephrology

Why do these outbreaks happen in China all the time, I know they're dirty and it's highly crowded but they seem to have more of these dangerous new flus than India or Indonesia, also dirty and crowded.
    Live animal markets full of all sorts of strange wild animals.

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    @Nephrology

It comes down to animal husbandry.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It comes down to animal husbandry.
    Comes down to eating weird animals... They are saying it jumped from bats to civet cats that were being sold in market for consumption.

Similar to issues seen in Africa with the practice of eating "bush meat."

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Comes down to eating weird animals... They are saying it jumped from bats to civet cats that were being sold in market for consumption.

Similar to issues seen in Africa with the practice of eating "bush meat."
    Partly, but the larger part of it is not much genetic deviation, mass use of antibiotics, crowded unhealthy living environment making their livestock operations a haven for a virus outbreak.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Partly, but the larger part of it is not much genetic deviation, mass use of antibiotics, crowded unhealthy living environment making their livestock operations a haven for a virus outbreak.
    Gotcha, yeah it would of helped if I read the context of the original comment.

100% agree with your assessment.

User Tag List