Page 190 of 725 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290690 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    More news - France officially closes all non essential businesses as of midnight tonight.

Per NYT:

"The drastic measures come in response to a sharp uptick in the assault from the coronavirus, including a doubling of cases in the last 72 hours to 4,500.

There have been 91 deaths, and 300 coronavirus patients are in critical condition, half of them under 50 years of age."
    Lord knows France is a tough act to follow.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Lord knows France is a tough act to follow.
    Not really sure how to interpret this comment, but there is nothing unique about their population or healthcare system that would predispose them to younger folks being ventilated in the ICU. If anything, given the rates of obesity/HTN/diabetes/etc in the US, along with the relative scarcity of hospital beds (we have 3.2 per person, they have 6 per person) we are poised to fare much worse.

We have ~2100 cases as of this AM, I suspect we will be at ~4500 cases or more in 4-5 days (assuming our testing picks up speed). We will be there before we know it.

Just sat down to a late lunch. I was hiking out in the state forest with the dogs for 3+ hours. I had pretty much forgotten about the virus hype until we spotted a group of 4 people in the middle of the woods wearing surgical masks. WTFO! Last I heard there are no COVID 19 infected squirrels coughing in hikers faces. One can never be too careful!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Just sat down to a late lunch. I was hiking out in the state forest with the dogs for 3+ hours. I had pretty much forgotten about the virus hype until we spotted a group of 4 people in the middle of the woods wearing surgical masks. WTFO! Last I heard there are no COVID 19 infected squirrels coughing in hikers faces. One can never be too careful!
    Lol, yeah that is really dumb

Not really sure how to interpret this comment, but there is nothing unique about their population or healthcare system that would predispose them to younger folks being ventilated in the ICU. If anything, given the rates of obesity/HTN/diabetes/etc in the US, along with the relative scarcity of hospital beds (we have 3.2 per person, they have 6 per person) we are poised to fare much worse.

We have ~2100 cases as of this AM, I suspect we will be at ~4500 cases or more in 4-5 days (assuming our testing picks up speed). We will be there before we know it.
    By all means, continue.

Site Supporter
    I hit three grocery stores yesterday for my regular shopping. They were stripped bare. My 80 year old parents are out galavanting around like nothing is going on. My mother says she doesn’t care; she lived a long life. I think people are panicking and in denial. Yesterday I saw a guy with a shopping cart of nothing but spaghetti pasta and jars of sauce. My stepdaughter’s boyfriend won’t stay in his room because he believes he was not exposed; he just had a cold. My wife is a RN; stepdaughter is a nurses aid. They both went to work today. They both refused to call their boss at the hospital and let their boss make the decision of coming in. My wife said I’m being a paranoid asshole. I keep telling her it’s not the odds; it’s the stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    By all means, continue.
    Dude, you are in for a really rude awakening very, very soon.

Of all the countries struggling with this right now, the USA in many ways is the very least prepared to handle this. Your faith in our healthcare system is extremely misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    My wife is a RN; stepdaughter is a nurses aid. They both went to work today. They both refused to call their boss at the hospital and let their boss make the decision of coming in. My wife said I’m being a paranoid asshole. I keep telling her it’s not the odds; it’s the stakes.
    Healthcare personnel/1st responders are going to have to keep working through this to keep our lives together, unfortunately. If your wife is in an outpatient practice, I am hoping that they are canceling all non-urgent visits.

Site Supporter
    I don’t know about all of you but I need a laugh because I’m getting pissed off at my wife- please move if inappropriate . Funny; my wife calls me that all the time. Name:  DA26EEA5-A891-4FC5-AE67-1CB158915B2F.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  49.0 KB

So the first case in NC was a man who was exposed at one of the infamous nursing homes in Washington State. He then flew commercial to NC. Most recent case got sick in another state and flew commercial to NC.

Any thoughts as to should we shut down air travel like after 9-11, or take other steps??

I mean we're cancelling concerts and other get togethers with more than 25 people

cc

Dude, you are in for a really rude awakening very, very soon.

Of all the countries struggling with this right now, the USA in many ways is the very least prepared to handle this. Your faith in our healthcare system is extremely misplaced.

Healthcare personnel/1st responders are going to have to keep working through this to keep our lives together, unfortunately. If your wife is in an outpatient practice, I am hoping that they are canceling all non-urgent visits.
    I'm a pretty pessimistic person by nature, so I tend to accept what you have been saying as the truth.

But man is it depressing. Got any optimistic news?

User Tag List