Page 166 of 725 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266666 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Seeing how successful they are, and we are not, makes me incredibly anxious.

The president needs to declare a state of emergency. We need an all hands response here and we needed it 2 weeks ago. I do not get why everyone is sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.
    The answer, IMHO, is the economic impact of declaring a state of emergency. That's going to send a bigger shock wave thru the market and possibly destroy the presidents chances of being reelected. It's more or less admitting failure to contain or at least get ahead of it when we had the opportunity. Trump isn't very good at taking the responsibility for things when they go south. There's always someone around to fire or become the twitter target of the day. So far that's worked OK for him but I'm not so sure he's going to weather the storm this time. He's been trying to put a happy face on this from the beginning when he should have been sounding the battle stations alarm about 2 weeks ago when we knew it was here.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-13-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    The ER sent my step daughters sick boyfriend home. He lives with us and we are waiting for test results. I had planned on just sheltering in place. the social distance concept seemed like common sense to me. But I am now faced with the possibility of an infected person living in the house. What are the best practices to follow now? Keep him isolated? Use masks? For how long? How accurate are the tests? When I talked to my family doctor last year about flu tests; he said they had so many false negatives that if you have flu symptoms they would just treat you for the flu. Can we get a sticky on best practices? My first thought was to act like he had the virus until tested otherwise. I think to many people just want to play the odds game believe it can never happen to them.
    Keep him in a single room in the house. He does not leave the room except to shower/use the bathroom, ideally in a bathroom designated for his use only. Everyone else should live their life as far as possible from him except to bring him food/water/etc - in a perfect world, he would have a guest house or his own floor. Do what you can with the space you have.

Wipe down all door handles/taps/countertops with diluted bleach or whatever cleaning agents you guys have on hands. Soap and water would be a fine backup.

If you have surgical masks, make him wear one basically at all times. If you have N95s, you/other non-infected household members should be wearing them when interacting with him. Otherwise masks are not likely to be very helpful.

He should be isolated in this fashion for at least 2 weeks from the first day of symptoms, if not longer. There is no exact number. 2 weeks is a minimum.

For treatment, there is nothing really specific you can do for him. Food/water he can keep down (definitely encourage him to stay hydrated, use Pedialyte or Gatorade if he has diarrhea/vomiting). Tylenol for headache and fever. Ibuprofen for muscle pain. Judicious use of benadryl if he needs help sleeping. Pseudo-ephedrine for congestion.

If he develops difficulty breathing/his fingers or lips are dusky and blue, if he becomes significantly confused or has other acute changes in mental status, or anything that your gut tells you is a serious problem, call 911. Anything less than that and home is the best place for him.

This thread is a gem. Thanks to all the friends here in the medical/biology profession that take the time to educate us.

Nobody wants to get infected, but if you do get sick with this shit it seems it is much better to get sick NOW that the hospitals are not overlwhemed than later when who knows what...

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The answer, IMHO, is the economic impact of declaring a state of emergency. That's going to send a bigger shock wave thru the market and possibly destroy the presidents chances of being reelected. It's more or less admitting failure to contain or at least get ahead of it when we had the opportunity. Trump isn't very good at taking the responsibility for things when they go south. There's always someone around to fire or become the twitter target of the day. So far that's worked OK for him but I'm not so sure he's going to weather the storm this time. He's been trying to put a happy face on this from the beginning when he should have been sounding the battle stations alarm.
    Just wait until folks start dying in larger numbers. That day is sadly just around the corner.

I'll be totally honest, I've never been as scared by current events as I am today. This is going to make 9/11 look like a birthday party.

Site Supporter
    Ivanka and AG Barr were exposed to an Australian who tested positive. Did I say that before? Hey, it's a hoax, Ivanka. Don't worry , Donald called in Jared to advise him.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Ivanka and AG Barr were exposed to an Australian who tested positive. Did I say that before? Hey, it's a hoax, Ivanka. Don't worry , Donald called in Jared to advise him.
    Jair Bolsonaro, president of Brazil, also recently tested positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm not seeing much of a change no matter who's running the show. [b]When you have a fed as big as the one we have, you're always going to have an extremely difficult time with any disaster management/response.[b] Combine that now with a do nothing congress and a dozen layers of bureaucratic decision making, it starts to break down pretty fast.
    Most disasters are localized to specific geographical areas. If they really can't handle the logistics of those in anything approaching a timely and productive manner...
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Keep him in a single room in the house. He does not leave the room except to shower/use the bathroom, ideally in a bathroom designated for his use only. Everyone else should live their life as far as possible from him except to bring him food/water/etc - in a perfect world, he would have a guest house or his own floor. Do what you can with the space you have.

Wipe down all door handles/taps/countertops with diluted bleach or whatever cleaning agents you guys have on hands. Soap and water would be a fine backup.

If you have surgical masks, make him wear one basically at all times. If you have N95s, you/other non-infected household members should be wearing them when interacting with him. Otherwise masks are not likely to be very helpful.

He should be isolated in this fashion for at least 2 weeks from the first day of symptoms, if not longer. There is no exact number. 2 weeks is a minimum.

For treatment, there is nothing really specific you can do for him. Food/water he can keep down (definitely encourage him to stay hydrated, use Pedialyte or Gatorade if he has diarrhea/vomiting). Tylenol for headache and fever. Ibuprofen for muscle pain. Judicious use of benadryl if he needs help sleeping. Pseudo-ephedrine for congestion.

If he develops difficulty breathing/his fingers or lips are dusky and blue, if he becomes significantly confused or has other acute changes in mental status, or anything that your gut tells you is a serious problem, call 911. Anything less than that and home is the best place for him.
    Just made a hard copy of this for future reference. Thanks.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Got a call from Austin isd emergency alert system at 3:30 am - classes cancelled today. Lake Travis isd managed to make that decision earlier in the week. Two presumptive cases in Travis county announced.

The elms are in full bloom and the oaks are starting so its high allergy season here. Lots of runny nises, watering eyes and sneezing. I can see that exacerbating the spread by hiding many milder cases.

Also a big thanks to all as this is the best aggregator of coronavirus news I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Please show us where Trump said it was a hoax. Thanks.

User Tag List