Page 165 of 725 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265665 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Saw Rich mention running to CVS. I believe some drugstores like Walgreens are now doing delivery for free so you can avoid going and at least not pick up exposure via airborne route. May be true for other big chains as well but don’t recall off the top of my head.

For those with college kids going remote, uhaul is offering one month free self storage if needed. It’s potentially only a stopgap measure but opens up some options potentially if it’s not feasible to bring stuff home right away for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    First off, I just want to thank all of you guys for putting all of this useful information together. As a small business owner that is the alpha/omega of everything from cleaning to billing, I can say that I'm more than grateful for all this straight talk.

That being said, I have a few questions:

1. What is the point of closing schools if the virus can stay alive for as long as stated on many types of surfaces? Meaning, if the incubation period is ~5-14 days (iirc and average out the data given here), then anyone near anyone affected is now carrying, no? Perhaps the only reason is to not guarantee infection of the whole school?
    2. If kids aren't in school, are the parents, that are working from home, simply going to keep them closed indoors? Will they not just find some "activity" to do after 2-3 days, which will inevitably involve other people?
    3. Although I presented question (1), I do understand the sense in it over cancelling after school activities. After school activities are going to happen organically and w/less adult supervision, so wouldn't it be better to have adult supervision to monitor symptoms and common behaviors for spreading said symptoms? Meaning typical nose wiping, nose picking, etc that young kids engage in.

Just thinking aloud and TIA for any insights.
    I fully intend to be hitting up the out door range in PA, and doing a ton of biking/hiking/nature photography with the kid as scheduling allows. So no, we're not sheltering in place. We won't be coming into contact with people a lot, but I've no intention of becoming a hermit... yet.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    At 08:00 central time Walmart and other grocery store parking lots were packed her in central Alabama. If you want to avoid other humans there is not the place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Thank you very much. This is very helpful because it took it out of my intuitive brain and put it in hard math. I'm glad I helped you peak in nerdiness tonight.

Now, should they still come to the dojo? [emoji12] After all, it's only ~15 people at a time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    My kid's TKD school is considering focusing on non-contact training during this period, so as to theoretically minimize transfer.
    I liken it as, if you broke your arm tomorrow, would you quit training entirely? Or would you figure out what you can do, and focus on those areas until such time as you're healthy enough to resume all activities?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Financial Times:

The coronavirus has now taken hold in Europe, with the largest number of confirmed cases in Italy.
    In most western countries case numbers have been increasing by around 33 per cent a day, a sign that other countries may soon be facing the same challenge as Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    The ER sent my step daughters sick boyfriend home. He lives with us and we are waiting for test results. I had planned on just sheltering in place. the social distance concept seemed like common sense to me. But I am now faced with the possibility of an infected person living in the house. What are the best practices to follow now? Keep him isolated? Use masks? For how long? How accurate are the tests? When I talked to my family doctor last year about flu tests; he said they had so many false negatives that if you have flu symptoms they would just treat you for the flu. Can we get a sticky on best practices? My first thought was to act like he had the virus until tested otherwise. I think to many people just want to play the odds game believe it can never happen to them.
    I would isolate yourself and family from everyone else in the house and self-quarantine at home. If he has it, chances are very good you will have it soon.

Cleanliness is next to godliness - alcohol, bleach, hot water and soap on every surface you can. Hot water and a bit of bleach with the clothes/linens would not hurt.

The tests appear to be very accurate. In South Korea false negatives are <2%.

Stay calm.

Do remember that right now the rate of hospitalization on a global scale is ~5% of individuals and fatality rate is high in Italy due to an overwhelmed healthcare system, globally it appears to be settling into ~1-2%. This means only 5 in 100 will need a hospital stay and only 1-2 out of 100 will die. He has very, very, good odds to be fine if he is young and healthy otherwise.

We are not currently overwhelmed in healthcare. If he were to require hospitalization at this stage, it’s ideal, believe it or not, because local hospitals are not completely slammed.

If he develops troubling breathing - hospital - immediately.

Did I mention - stay calm? Extra precautions, isolation, and cleaning are in order right now.

FYI: Flu tests have high false negatives, because of the nature of the tests. They are looking for specific markers and there are many types of flu. The tests usually are looking for the A or B type flu that is predicted to be most common in a year. However, there are dozens of flu strains and they are all present regularly. In this case there are only a couple of versions of covid-19 and the tests should find both without issue.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    My kid's TKD school is considering focusing on non-contact training during this period, so as to theoretically minimize transfer.
    I liken it as, if you broke your arm tomorrow, would you quit training entirely? Or would you figure out what you can do, and focus on those areas until such time as you're healthy enough to resume all activities?
    I would stop going to TKD, full stop.

I think I am going to pull my kid from day care after today. Still not community spreading in VA according to health officials but it just isn't worth the risk anymore.

Let's hope it's true!

Researchers at the Institute of Human Virology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) and the Global Virus Network (GVN) predict that COVID-19 will follow a seasonal pattern similar to other respiratory viruses like seasonal flu. They base this on weather modeling data in countries where the virus has taken hold and spread within the community...

To date, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), caused by SARS-CoV-2, has established significant community spread in cities and regions only along a narrow east west distribution roughly along the 30-50 N” corridor at consistently similar weather patterns (5-11º C and 47-79% humidity)...
    On this page, there's a link to the PDF with analysis of weather maps: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3550308
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

Well I will be off for three weeks, as of Monday all k-12 schools have been canceled for three weeks. We have no cases in my immediate area but today will be my and my children's last days in a school format

User Tag List