Page 164 of 725 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264664 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Never mind I figured it out.
    Last edited by 5pins; 03-13-2020 at 07:48 AM.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    This is my concern. And why I'm doubtful much would change under a different administration.
    I'm not seeing much of a change no matter who's running the show. When you have a fed as big as the one we have, you're always going to have an extremely difficult time with any disaster management/response. Combine that now with a do nothing congress and a dozen layers of bureaucratic decision making, it starts to break down pretty fast.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Korea continues the trend of a flattening infection rate with only 110 new positive cases out of 13,500 tests performed yesterday.

Name:  11F5BBF2-4685-4DAF-B101-A1747053E69B.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  36.6 KB

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es...00000&bid=0030

Site Supporter
    The ER sent my step daughters sick boyfriend home. He lives with us and we are waiting for test results. I had planned on just sheltering in place. the social distance concept seemed like common sense to me. But I am now faced with the possibility of an infected person living in the house. What are the best practices to follow now? Keep him isolated? Use masks? For how long? How accurate are the tests? When I talked to my family doctor last year about flu tests; he said they had so many false negatives that if you have flu symptoms they would just treat you for the flu. Can we get a sticky on best practices? My first thought was to act like he had the virus until tested otherwise. I think to many people just want to play the odds game believe it can never happen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Oh, I hear you that way, but at some point, the parents have to work unencumbered by their kids.
    @RevolverRob et al: if no one is showing signs of COVID, are they likely to a) transmit it if they have it, and /or b) should we just be paranoid about running into anyone that we don't already have to live with?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    A) someone might be showing no signs but infectious right before they develop symptoms, or they may have a mild case and decided it’s OK to go out despite shedding virus stills, young <20 often appear to not be showing symptoms and the science is still out on it but I would assume for cautions sake that they can transmit as well if infected

B) our plan is to socially isolate for a few weeks as much as possible, and minimize the need to go out to the store, etc. luckily we can probably still walk outside and such since we live in the burbs but basically trying to avoid people as much as possible. This is to help flatten the curve as RR described, but also to minimize chances of infection since there still is some potential for long term organ damage or needing ICU despite being young and relatively healthy.

Hey folks, listen up. This is a very informative thread. I don't want insults/flame wars/etc in this thread. Please conduct yourselves accordingly and remember that we are in this together.

#BidetMasterRace
    #RESIST

Switching to "working remote" at my work.

We are a mid-tier Aerospace co., supporting mostly contract work for DoD and foreign markets. 15K worldwide, maybe 500 in Tampa.

I stopped in to collect my laptop this morning and head back home to work online. Normally we work factory hours (6am-3pm) and it was a ghost town this morning. All meetings are going to call-in #'s or videoconference. Lots of handwashing going on. Additional soap dispensers are in view. Large poster-sized instructions placed prominently in the restrooms on "how to wash your hands". We have Purell-dispensers dotted around the plant. They are in frequent use.

I grabbed a Lysol moist towellette dispenser for my cube, and wiped the hell out of it earlier this week. Every surface I come in contact with. Same with my personal and company iphone. Keyboard, mouse, monitor, phone etc. etc.

At home we are ok, we live on an island in a gated community. Nobody comes in our out, mostly, except residents. We are lucky with enough supplies. We did make a run to CVS for a scrip yesterday, and picked up some more soap for hand washing, an extra thermometer and some Dayquil. We have plenty of Ibuprofen. We are both in the at risk group (60+ and heart related issues.)

Am not planning to fly anywhere for a while, for work or personal until things calm down.

Not sure what else we can do; but we are using the cdc.gov guidelines to be prepared in case we get sick, except for some masks I guess. Our plan is to limit contact as much as possible both to avoid contracting it and also to avoid transmitting it if by some chance we have it without knowing. Not sure what else we can do. We aren't panicking, but are treating it fairly seriously.

Site Supporter
    @Poconnor

It’s from the Singapore ministry of health, but is some of the more detailed info I’ve seen
    The website is in well translated English and worth a look. especially the FAQ and “Content you can use” sections

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19

ADVISORY FOR INDIVIDUALS SHARING ROOM / APARTMENT WITH PERSONS UNDER STAY-HOME NOTICE
    1. While it is not necessary to be segregated from the person placed under SHN and you can continue to share the same room/apartment, you are encouraged to reduce interaction and minimise contact with them. For example, you can avoid close and sustained contact by not sharing a bed, limiting the time spent together at common areas within the apartment, having separate meal times, ensuring proper ventilation etc. The person under SHN is also advised to avoid having visitors to the residence.
    2. Avoid sharing food, crockery, utensils and other personal hygiene items.
    3. Maintain good personal hygiene at all times. This includes flushing the toilet
    after use and regular hand washing with soap and water (including before and after handling food or eating, and after going to the toilet).
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS) FOR INDIVIDUALS SHARING RESIDENTIAL SPACES WITH PERSONS UNDER STAY-HOME NOTICE
    1. Can someone live in the same room as a person under Stay-Home Notice (SHN)?
    While you can live in the same room as a person under SHN, you are encouraged to reduce interaction and minimise contact with the person under SHN. For example, avoid sharing a bed, limit the time spent together at common areas within the apartment, have separate meal times, ensure that the room has proper ventilation, etc..
    2. Can persons under SHN share the same toilet as other occupants in the same household?
    You are advised to avoid sharing the same toilet where possible. If it is not practical to do so, avoid using the toilet at the same time and clean toilet surfaces more frequently. You may also wish to allow some time to pass between toilet usage, in order to allow any remaining water droplets after showers to settle to the ground. Sharing the same roll of toilet paper is safe as long as the toilet roll is not stained, soiled or wet.
    Do not share towels.
    3. I operate a dormitory. Do I need to segregate a person under a SHN from other occupants of the dorm?
    While persons under SHN can stay in the same dormitory room as others, where possible and practical, measures to minimise contact between a person under SHN and other occupants are encouraged. Examples of these could include separating belongings of workers to minimise overlapping circulating space, having separate meal times, ensuring proper ventilation, etc..
    Do not share beds..
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 03-13-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Singapore is so far ahead of the US on how to respond to this... its really embarrassing how fucking terrible we have bungled this. I would absolutely feel safe following the Singapore guidance.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Korea continues the trend of a flattening infection rate with only 110 new positive cases out of 13,500 tests performed yesterday.

Name:  11F5BBF2-4685-4DAF-B101-A1747053E69B.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  36.6 KB

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es...00000&bid=0030
    Seeing how successful they are, and we are not, makes me incredibly anxious.

The president needs to declare a state of emergency. We need an all hands response here and we needed it 2 weeks ago. I do not get why everyone is sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

User Tag List