Page 157 of 725 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257657 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

It's over the counter and probably can't hurt.

Quercetin

Researchers in Québec are hopeful that a drug derived from plants could be the key to curing infections caused by the novel coronavirus.The broad spectrum anti-viral medicine known as quercetin has already proven successful at treating Ebola and Zika viruses, says Dr. Michel Chrétien, a researcher at the Clinical Research Institute of Montreal.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...hina-1.5480134
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Effectively yes. Microscopic droplets that you produce each time you sneeze, cough, talk, burp, etc.
    3 fookin hours! W the Literal Fuck!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m trying to decide whether I will fly home from Manchester, NH Sunday or rent a car and drive. MHT is a small airport and I won’t be checking bags so I would clear Midway quickly. I think I’ll take my chances and mask up.
    You're not too far from where I live. If it were a different time, I'd offer to buy you a beer.
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

All K-12 schools to close in my area by March 17th. Three counties, King, Snohomish and Pierce by the Governors order. Looks like a month.

https://mynorthwest.com/1761921/insl...osed-april-24/

I expect that those 3 counties will soon be shut down by quarantine. That would be especially troublesome for the 18K people that live on my island. We have to drive thru one of the counties to get off this island and we have very little here in the way of healthcare or places to shop for food. I expect they may have to let us go thru.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-12-2020 at 07:10 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Tell ya one thing.

In about 9 months, there are gonna be a shitload of babies born.
    The Corona Generation.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    This.

I am a blue-collar layman, but did actually start college with the idea of ending up somewhere in the biology or medical world. (I detoured into law enforcement, and stayed there.) Moreover, my wife has a Masters in public health, and an M.D. Though she was never licensed to practice medicine in the USA, she worked for an eye bank, and then for 21 years as a forensic investigator for the third-most-populous county in the USA, and she remains affiliated with the local OEM, on a volunteer basis. (Unfortunately, for this situation, she has to self-isolate, being in a worst-risk category for dying of COVID-19.)

Having said the above, we both see the staggering level of willful, ignorance, on so many levels, including the top elected levels of the federal government, particularly including the tweeter-in-chief, in all areas of science.

Of course the definition of what is meant by "science" seems to depend on the political orientation of the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Indoor range ….
    not busy when I go in the afternoon … most times I am the only one there ...
    I go Once a week.

Stay home for a Month and dry fire more .. or still go ?
    Are the risk higher in that environment ?
    The risks will be higher in any environment that isn’t under your direct control, assuming no one is infected in those areas.

Indoor risks with close proximity are going to be higher. Look at the image Aisin Goro posted on transmission in a Chinese bus. Four meters away someone ended up infected due to the aerosolized nature of the virus. That’s ~13’ish feet.

Is the firing lane next you 15+ feet away? No? Then you’re in close proximity.

I don’t trust anyone to exercise appropriate caution at a gun range. We’re talking about some people who don’t wash their hands after being exposed to lead...

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I can't really summon much outrage at what boils down to a semantic argument. And I would classify HIV/Aids as an invasive foreign virus that became a pandemic. Same as this current one. I agree that it doesn't make much difference now.

But to my mind the failures dont seem to have been directed from on high, but have been systemic to the very groups and agencies that are supposed to be the experts on these events. And from my recollection this isn't a recent phenomenon. Or isolated to this administration.

We seem to have been very lucky for many years, and the institutions that we have set up and invested in to handle these events, have become unfocused and unserious in regards to their actual purpose. The people at the top of any agency or political body are fundamentally interchangeable. It doesn't matter if the people actually charged with carrying out the edicts and policies of the administration, dont actually do there jobs. If the actual bureaucracies tasked with implementing responses are unable to adequately perform there tasks because they have succumbed to the Iron Law of Bureaucracy, and have lost mission focus, and have been more concerned with political kowtowing, I dont see how any effective response can be expected, and they haven't been noted with previous responses to similar potential pandemics.
    Bwahahahaha!!!! As the veteran of every gulf coast hurricane since 1967, I asked several people today if FEMA had ever done anything for them in terms of improving their daily life following a storm. To a person, no one had been helped. Everyone handled their own business - with the help of neighbors, which is generally a two-way street. It seems to me that the CDC has taken the same tack. CDC should be helping in all this, but they do not seem to be at the front lines. Color me shocked. In any event, the social distancing, etc. is on us to implement. Individual conduct will absolutely influence how all this goes.

On a quasi-related note, today my local office of a large agency put into place a number of measures aimed at minimizing exposure of staff. This was largely based in information and guidance gleaned from this thread. Thanks ya’ll!

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Of course the definition of what is meant by "science" seems to depend on the political orientation of the person.
    While scientists cannot always agree on the nuanced details of what constitutes science, we can agree on fundamental aspects of it.

What politicians can’t do is wrap their heads around it, because like inalienable rights, there are inconvenient inalienable aspects of science.

ETA: Semantic point: A “foreign viral invasion” really makes no sense from a biological perspective. 1) Invasion is an anthropocentric concept, viruses do not “invade” that implies active choice, there is no active force within a virus. 2) Viruses give zero fucks about geopolitical boundaries.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-12-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Bwahahahaha!!!! As the veteran of every gulf coast hurricane since 1967, I asked several people today if FEMA had ever done anything for them in terms of improving their daily life following a storm. To a person, no one had been helped. Everyone handled their own business - with the help of neighbors, which is generally a two-way street. It seems to me that the CDC has taken the same tack. CDC should be helping in all this, but they do not seem to be at the front lines. Color me shocked. In any event, the social distancing, etc. is on us to implement. Individual conduct will absolutely influence how all this goes.

On a quasi-related note, today my local office of a large agency put into place a number of measures aimed at minimizing exposure of staff. This was largely based in information and guidance gleaned from this thread. Thanks ya’ll!
    My employer had everyone gather into a football huddle to announce the measures we will be taking. If you want an example of fundamental unseriousness.

User Tag List