Page 151 of 725 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251651 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Our state department of education just released its guidance. The short version of it is business as normal. If you cancel school and don't meet the state-mandated number of school hours you will have to make it up. Their rationale is no one that works in a school has tested positive so there is no need to do anything different. FML. Locale department of health can mandate that schools close.

The only good news is most of the schools in our area are on Spring break starting tomorrow.

Edit to add that the state high school basketball tournament is continuing as scheduled too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Further to the issue of children being infected (and why school closings are probably necessary):

Children may be just as vulnerable to coronavirus as adults, study finds
    • "Researchers looking at cases in Shenzhen say 2 per cent were kids under 15 at early stage of outbreak, but later it rose to 13 per cent"
    • "Another study finds that among patients’ close contacts, children under 10 had nearly the same chance of becoming infected as other age groups"

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...ts-study-finds

And the actual paper the article references:

Community Transmission of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2, Shenzhen, China, 2020

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/6/20-0239_article

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Funny that, even to the Chinese Reds, a red flag isn't good....
    Talk about mixed messages, eh?

If I had children, I would not send them to school.

I have advised my sister and sister-in-law to not send the kids back to school after Spring Break.

The increase in social distancing will hopefully flatten the infection curve. My concern growing is that people will interpret a slowing as the inflection point and believe we have beat the virus, sending kids, and themselves back to work prematurely and resulting in a large second (or third) wave.

People are not listening:

1) 2-14 days before symptoms
    2) symptoms for 7-14 days
    3) potentially shedding the virus for another 14-30 days after that.

This is a 4-8-week problem.

And we should all plan to be in social distancing mode for 12 weeks, starting...well 10-weeks ago. - But if we all started today or tomorrow - we'll be looking at May, before we can start to return back to some semblance of business as usual. And even then, we can expect waves to roll in, the hope is just that they will be lower waves more easily managed by our healthcare system and society.

Everyone should look at this as a spring hibernation period.

Kids can go back to school in May, summer vacay came early.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    We managed to buy some bottles of 91% alcohol and a jug of aloe vera, with some essential oil for fragrance.

So we made our own hand-sanitizer: Two parts alcohol, one part aloe gel and some drops of the essential oil.
    I broke the seal on my new bottle of 18 yo Glen Morangie last night. I'm doing the hand sanitizer thing, but from the inside out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    My wife brought up a good point. Who is going to watch all the kids out of school if the parents can't stay home? The grandparents? I'm not sure that is such a good idea.

Also, what about all the healthcare workers who can't go to work because they have to stay home and watch the kids? Now you have taken thousands of them from work when they are in need the most.

Just some thoughts we had about unintended consequences.

Schools K-12 perform babysitting function deemed more important to many than primary mission. Parents hate holidays. With closures juvenile crime will rise. Kid accidents will increase. Family stress will rise.

For those who care about sportsball(s) or more importantly look at it as the canary in the coal mine for our society:

Men's College Basketball Tournament Cancelations:

ACC
    Big Ten
    Big 12
    Pac 12
    SEC

NBA:

Season Suspended
    Two Utah Jazz players confirmed

MLB:

Expected that MLB will suspend all activities later today

NHL:

Season suspended

Soccer:

CONCACAF Champions League suspended
    Major League Soccer suspended
    La Liga suspended
    Expect that English League will be suspended shortly (as of 4-hours ago, Leicester players self-isolated) - already playing games without fans in attendance

Racing:

Formula 1 delayed/postponed
    MotoGP delayed/postponed
    NASCAR - races going - no fans in attendance

Tennis:

ATP and ITF suspend matches for next six weeks

Golf:

PGA Tour Events proceed - no fans

___

I think that covers most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So far most of the published lit has suggested asymptomatic prodrome of 5 days (range 1-14). This sounds a bit extreme to me. Hopefully not the case.
    Can you translate that into idiot level for me? If I get sick and get better how long does the wife get to party before she can get near me again?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Our state department of education just released its guidance. The short version of it is business as normal. If you cancel school and don't meet the state-mandated number of school hours you will have to make it up. Their rationale is no one that works in a school has tested positive so there is no need to do anything different. FML. Locale department of health can mandate that schools close.

The only good news is most of the schools in our area are on Spring break starting tomorrow.

Edit to add that the state high school basketball tournament is continuing as scheduled too.
    Schools get government money based on how many students attend per day. That’s why our state department of education said that kids should be back in class 72 hours after they no longer have a fever.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    NHL:

Season suspended
    Name:  end-of-the-world-698x392.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  62.9 KB

User Tag List