Page 133 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233633 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My sister, an extremely intelligent person, was planning to attend a national conference on Friday. Her reasoning, “No one here has it.”

“Sis, it’s not HERE you worry about it’s the people coming from there. Do not go to the conference.”

“But I...”

“You live with our 60-year old mother. And your biologist brother is saying, “DO NOT GO TO THE CONFERENCE.””

“Okay.”

I mean jeez - like pulling teeth.
    I call this the "movie effect." It seems whenever there is a big horrible event ( from hurricanes to 9/11) eyewitnesses are usually reduced to saying "it was like a movie!" We have it programmed in, over and over, that big horrible events are entertaining spectacles that happen to fictional people, or folks so remote from us that they might as well be fictional. But that shit happening to us? Unfuckingthinkable. We are the protagonists with plot armor!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    LOL I'm about the farthest thing from a statist.

I would wager against you if we used years of productive live expectancy lost as the system of measurement.

The CDC data. At least 20 of the 25 deaths had diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, or obesity. All but one qualified for AARP (and the 40 year-old had underlying health issues). 19 were in a nursing home (fun fact: the average life expectancy of those admitted into a nursing home is less than 6 months).

Attachment 49731

You're talking hospitalizations, I'm talking death.

Not celebrating, but putting into perspective. But if you think "looking after" my generation included saddling us with $130 trillion in unfunded social welfare program liabilities, to say nothing of climate change, I sincerely thank you.
    "Climate change"...'splains it. Sorry your girl lost. Maybe Bern will ease the pain.

Site Supporter
    Name:  E75F59A0-E8B8-413D-821A-49A38E86A0AD.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  32.3 KB

Since this has become a Dear Dr Abbey thread, I'll throw my fashionable fedora-like question into the ring: As a small business owner, with the first case found in the town of my business, do I follow the hype and shut down temporarily? Reimburse people? Close my business? Go make a bunker?

Obviously these questions are nearly unanswerable and I'm only being halfway snarky b/c gallows humor and all. That being said, some general guidance would be appreciated by any of you that seem to be more in the know than myself. As an FYI, if I don't show up to work, my business is done and I'm beholden to a lease, but luckily no FT employees.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    I read the thread and have formed an opinion which is that a most high degree of compliance by citizens is necessary to control the spread. Compliance includes observing certain hygiene and as well as obeying other rules laid down by health agencies. Government can do this and that, but is not following best practices defined by experts essential? My view of my fellow man and woman is that many are selfish and stupid. Government can't fix that.

This—

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Close my business? Go make a bunker?
    —but not until the zombies start to show up.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Since this has become a Dear Dr Abbey thread, I'll throw my fashionable fedora-like question into the ring: As a small business owner, with the first case found in the town of my business, do I follow the hype and shut down temporarily? Reimburse people? Close my business? Go make a bunker?

Obviously these questions are nearly unanswerable and I'm only being halfway snarky b/c gallows humor and all. That being said, some general guidance would be appreciated by any of you that seem to be more in the know than myself. As an FYI, if I don't show up to work, my business is done and I'm beholden to a lease, but luckily no FT employees.
    If you're worried about your personal exposure, then yes, digging in a bunker somewhere for next 3 months is the safest bet. From business operations standpoint, unless you're dealing with a congregation of susceptible and high risk people, I wouldn't close it. If your overall situation is not a high risk deal, then why. We also should be cognizant that we all could be forced to get quarantined during this ordeal, and maybe not once.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Washington Governor Inslee is expected to limit public gatherings of more than 250 people in King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties tomorrow. Probably not a bad idea, although the Seattle Mariners may just become the Phoenix Mariners.

There were also steps taken today to limit visitors statewide at nursing homes to one per day.

Meanwhile the staff at the Kirkland Life Care Center, which has accounted for 19 of the 24 deaths in state, have not all been tested:

Inslee in recent days has touted an increase in testing capabilities, from the state’s public health facility to testing by the University of Washington and commercial labs.

But government officials Tuesday couldn’t explain why all the staff at Life Care Center had not been tested.

A spokeswoman for Inslee’s office referred questions about tests at Life Care to Strange, the DSHS secretary. Strange referred question to the state Department of Health, which didn’t respond Tuesday.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-and-concerts/

Government checklist management at its best: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/...d-coronavirus/

After a day of highly technical presentations on Wednesday, Feb. 26, many of the Biogen attendees gathered at 6:30 p.m. at the State Room, a few blocks away at 60 State St., for dinner and awards.
    The conference picked up Thursday morning and went half a day, concluding in the afternoon, when attendees headed for the airport or home.
    One Biogen executive reported feeling sick, and planned to seek treatment at Massachusetts General Hospital in the morning, according to a person familiar with the company. That executive was told on Sunday that a coronavirus test was not warranted under existing criteria, the executive told colleagues on Sunday.
    By Tuesday morning, March 3, more executives who had been at the Boston conference were not feeling well, according to the person with knowledge of the company, who asked not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the situation. Some of them had gone to MGH or to their doctors to request coronavirus testing, only to be rebuffed because they did not meet the federal government criteria for a test, which at the time was a set of symptoms in addition to recent travel to a breakout area or contact with someone known to have the virus.

Biogen officials reached out to public health authorities in Massachusetts on March 3, according to a document obtained by the Globe, to report a cluster of about 50 conference attendees with flu-like symptoms in this region and overseas. Those officials were told that the cases did not satisfy requirements for testing.
    Massachusetts Public Health Commissioner Dr. Monica Bharel said in a Tuesday news conference that she is unable to pinpoint exactly when her department learned that people who attended the Biogen conference were ill with Covid-19, and whenthe agency acted to test others who attended the conference or were in contact with those attendees. All the days are “blurring together,” Bharel said.

Another person familiar with the events, who asked to remain anonymous because they are not cleared to speak on the issue, confirmed that Biogen’s chief medical officer first contacted the state public health department the morning of March 3. Biogen told DPH that day that a cluster of people who attended the conference were ill, according to the unnamed person.
    That same day, a “significant number" of people from Biogen — though still fewer than 10 — came to the Emergency Department at MGH asking for coronavirus tests, said Dr. Paul Biddinger, chief of the division of emergency preparedness at the hospital.MGH had not been informed previously of the Biogen meeting or that people had been exposed to the virus.

“There was concern that there may be many more coming,” Biddinger said. Too many Biogen walk-ins, the hospital feared, could disrupt care for other patients.

All the Biogen people got a medical evaluation but many did not have symptoms that would rise to an emergency; they just wanted testing, Biddinger said.

“For each person, we talked to [Department of Public Health] staff about these patients and whether or not they meet testing criteria,” he said. “Some were tested and some were not.

Some of the Biogen walk-ins became “very frustrated” that they couldn’t get a test. “There were some challenging discussions,” Biddinger said.
    In an e-mail from the company Thursday evening, Biogen officials asked employees to refrain from going to MGH to be tested for the coronavirus. The e-mail said their efforts “are overwhelming the emergency room” and that hospital police may have to bar Biogen employees from entering the area.
    Note the common thread that strict criteria was used to not justify testing whereas common sense and knowledge that COVID-19 exists would suggest testing when it makes sense. And where should people have gone to get tested?

I don't know how to make my family take this seriously. I'm not stock piling, but have said basically "Yeah, I think this is going to be wide spread and elderly and ill people are going to die alot I think."

My parents think I'm blowing it out of proportion and "in a panic". In the meantime they're laughing it off. They're both in their early-mid 50s and healthy. But, my 80+ year old grandmother is in poor health and needs to change states. She is going to be flying soon, and it's a totally unavoidable fact. Getting my parents to even be concerned about this is difficult.

They think all the scientists and doctors aren't worried, and anyone who is concerned is just panicing because of the media.

Despite the fact they know I don't consume MSM. I've tried to explain that far more have this then the reported numbers, because nobody is being tested. I've tried to explain the mortality rate is higher. I've said everyone isn't going to die but nearly everyone is going to get sick...

To them, if Trump says it's nothing then it's nothing. It's really ludicris to me. It's the first time I've ever seen them listen to a politician so blindly. I like a lot of what Trump has done and will vote for him again but he isn't infallible. I've often heard of those who would accept anything Trump says but found that to be mostly overblown democrat/liberal garbage. This situation is definitely showing me some of that when people believe what he says over facts. Mostly because they wont look up the facts and truth themselves.

-Cory

User Tag List