Page 116 of 725 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216616 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Arlington va has a case, only a matter of time before this shit gets crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    1. The most common presentation was one week prodrome of myaglias, malaise, cough, low grade fevers gradually leading to more severe trouble breathing in the second week of illness. It is an average of 8 days to development of dyspnea and average 9 days to onset of pneumonia/pneumonitis. It is not like Influenza, which has a classically sudden onset. Fever was not very prominent in several cases.
    This is the scary thing to me. Those symptoms wouldn’t peg my need to see a doctor alarm. And even if one did go to the doctor actual testing would probably be denied, especially if you didn’t have a fever.

I’m not as worried about getting killed since I’m in the lower threat age group, but it would be niceto know if I was spreading a disease that’s killing upward of 20-30% of the people over the age of 60 that are hospitalized for it.

I know this is a covid-19 thread but one of the results of the virus will be the economy. My canary in the coalmine is Caterpillar stock. They build construction equipment and sell it worldwide. In good economic times there's a lot of construction and the stock is up. Bad times and it goes down. CAT is down 20% in the last year. Not a good sign.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The stock market's circuit breakers tripped four minutes into trading today. Add to Covid-19 the current beef between the Russians and the Saudis over the price of crude and there is a metric buttload of uncertainty. Markets hate that.

Meanwhile, in the St. Louis area, a 20-year old woman came back from Italy. She tested positive after she came home and was ordered to self-quarantine. Which she did, with her family. But her idiot of a father then took her sister to a father-daughter dance.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Our university, and it seems universities in most places, are pushing faculty to acquaint themselves with distance education / online course tools to start running their classes remotely. Not that big of a deal for me, given that everything I do revolves around computers anyways. But plenty of classes (or their instructors...) are just not going to translate to an online format. Any adjuncts teaching across more than one university system are going to have an especially difficult time, as they're almost certainly going to have to use a different system in different places.

Extending the semester isn't a real option and transitioning to a distance model is going to be train wreck. If schools close for more than a week or two, this is going to get really interesting.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Extending the semester isn't a real option and transitioning to a distance model is going to be train wreck. If schools close for more than a week or two, this is going to get really interesting.
    One data point.... FWIW...

My oldest attends UNC-Wilmington, which was closed for 4 weeks following hurricane Florence in 2018. They took back 3 holiday days, crammed stuff in, and finished the semester on time. My kid had to drop a class due to the crazy workload, which ultimately cost me the price of a summer session (at out of state rates) to make up.

This virus could cause an even longer closing.... I need to look into University of Phoenix Online and see if they're publicly traded.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    One data point.... FWIW...

My oldest attends UNC-Wilmington, which was closed for 4 weeks following hurricane Florence in 2018. They took back 3 holiday days, crammed stuff in, and finished the semester on time. My kid had to drop a class due to the crazy workload, which ultimately cost me the price of a summer session (at out of state rates) to make up.

This virus could cause an even longer closing.... I need to look into University of Phoenix Online and see if they're publicly traded.
    Go Seahawks!

cc

Site Supporter
    Some recent numbers out of Korea. They’re still testing 10,000 people a day and there is at least a downward trend in new cases, even though the total number of cases is still increasing.

Name:  73E3A667-D22D-44DF-9766-10F139D16BB3.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  37.6 KB

The Korean cdc website is here, they have lots of numbers just go through the press releases.

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es...00000&bid=0030

@ccmdfd, @Nephrology,

Would the mobile hospitals spec'd in the national disaster management system and currently in storage throughout the country be able to handle these patients, if they were deployed?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I spoke to my board certified infectious disease doctor brother in law at length yesterday.

• this will be viable on surfaces for 14-21 days
    I offer this not as a counterpoint, but just to illustrate the conflicting information that is being issued: in a briefing of local hospital staff on Saturday, people here were told 4-6 HOURS on a surface.

Again I imagine your information is more accurate than ours here so my intent is not to dispute it at all, but that's what our medical professionals are being told by the BC CDC, so they're acting according to a radically different set of variables.

I guess in practise there may not be too much difference for hospital staff; this may not change hospital cleaning procedures, for example. But for sure this must change the perception of the threat level that hospital staff are facing.

User Tag List