Page 114 of 725 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214614 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    More back channel info.
    1. The most common presentation was one week prodrome of myaglias, malaise, cough, low grade fevers gradually leading to more severe trouble breathing in the second week of illness. It is an average of 8 days to development of dyspnea and average 9 days to onset of pneumonia/pneumonitis. It is not like Influenza, which has a classically sudden onset. Fever was not very prominent in several cases. The most consistently present lab finding was lymphopenia (with either leukocytosis or leukopenia). The most consistent radiographic finding was bilateral interstitial/ground glass infiltrates. Aside from that, the other markers (CRP, PCT) were not as consistent.

feel free to tag other MDs/health care professionals, I always just list whoever pops to the top of my head. Sorry for inconsistency.
    ground glass?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    ground glass?
    I'm a software developer turned bioinformatician, so I'm used to translating.

"Ground glass" on radiagraphs indicates fluid in the lungs and other lung issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-glass_opacity

Sorry for the bad news, but this is an italian account of what happens when the ICU units are overwhelmed:

click for auto translation

https://www.clarin.com/mundo/coronav..._wW2k1tdN.html

We finally also have the virus here in south america, and in my town. It would be interesting to see how this play out.

ground glass?
    Pretty sure this is a description of what the condition looks like on x-rays.
    (Same sort of thing as coronavirus getting its name from its "crown" appearance under a microscope.)
    Last edited by Earlymonk; 03-09-2020 at 10:03 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    ground glass?
    It's a term used to describe a pattern of non-specific findings on chest CT. Refers to increased attenuation (i.e. increased tissue/fluid density) in a "ground glass" pattern in the patients lungs. Associated with infection and non-infectious interstitial lung disease, among others.

e.g.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Also, this is fairly chilling. Take a look at the OP of this thread.

1/22/2020.... just a few hundred patients reported in China. 6 weeks later, pushing 90k.

Also, this is fairly chilling. Take a look at the OP of this thread.

1/22/2020.... just a few hundred patients reported in China. 6 weeks later, pushing 90k.
    My brother in law said there are now exponential increasing numbers of infections.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    More back channel info.

@Doc_Glock @ccmdfd @YVK @Sensei @pangloss @Mark_D @45dotACP

feel free to tag other MDs/health care professionals, I always just list whoever pops to the top of my head. Sorry for inconsistency.
    This about tracks with what our infection control team and pulmonologists have been telling us.

We've basically been told that we'll test for COVID after we get a negative rapid flu screen and a negative respiratory viral panel but have persistent respiratory symptoms.

Airborne isolation is mostly unnecessary and we're told that N95s aren't necessary either unless performing an aerosolizing procedure or the patient is on a BiPap.

Seems like there still isn't a great deal known about the virus.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Its ok, Coachella is still going.*

*I strongly believe Coachella is trying to replace SXSW and ASL for the place to be seen for wealthy Californians.
    So, what you're saying is that there could possibly be an upside to all of this?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Cadillac, 1912. Because a friend of the company's owner was killed while trying to start a Cadillac driven by a woman who stalled it out. The engine backfired and the handcrank broke man's jaw, it became infected and he died of sepsis. So Cadillac hired an engineering firm in Ohio to develop a self-starter. The company was Delco, the engineer who ran it was Charles Kettering, which some decades later, gets you to Sloan-Kettering.
    Good stuff, thanks!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List