Page 111 of 725 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211611 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'll say this- if you ever wanted to go on a cruise, you'll never find better prices!
    So now you can go to a resort hotel that can catch fire, sink and isolate you with carriers of an infectious and deadly disease. Such a deal we have for you!

I'll take a cruise under two conditions: A) It's all-expenses paid, including liquor; and B) somebody is holding a gun to my head.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Welcome, brother! I’ll give you access to the secret forum and send the tattoo design over.
    I’m guessing the tattoo goes on your ass...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Expect this number to expand rapidly. In fact, it already has, as the latest tally is 19.

I am guessing we will have at least 100 deaths by this coming Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Lobster sales to China had been low since China attached a 25% tariff to lobsters exported from the US. China just began allowing importers to apply for exemptions, but none of those apparently took hold before the Covid-19 outbreak.
    The spread of your knowledge is pretty impressive, just saying
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So now you can go to a resort hotel that can catch fire, sink and isolate you with carriers of an infectious and deadly disease. Such a deal we have for you!

I'll take a cruise under two conditions: A) It's all-expenses paid, including liquor; and B) somebody is holding a gun to my head.
    What if said gun was a plastic semiautomatic? God, what a tasteless threat
    #RESIST

#bidetpoors
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Name:  7C4408F0-1CDB-42E1-BA8C-FE23A4B1F78B.jpeg
Views: 433
Size:  56.8 KB
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    How that's supposed to convince me I won't benefit from having them, I have no idea. But then this entire situation hinges on our willingness to take the advice of people who, despite being experts in the field and working on this problem from day one and long before, now find themselves without a strategic stockpile of basic items. I mean it's not like I'd rather take the advice of Gwyneth Paltrow or Jenny McCarthy or anything, but to me this whole outbreak has been a fantastic illustration of a principle I think I've talked about before here: the tendency of experts to dismiss information which does not conform to their preexisting biases. I can't remember the exact circumstances but I was writing recently about the extremely poor predictive ability of experts vs information aggregator personality types and I think that was in a thread here. The problem noted with experts is that they go in feeling they have the answer, and are extremely efficient at dismissing conflicting data, and highly skilled at reframing information to fit the thesis they're already working from. Everything just becomes proof of their prior theory and they tend to be very slow to acquire new information. This mirrors my experience of the medical field when dealing with any outlier event.

To me it appears that the WHO is in disarray on their messaging and that testing criteria differ so widely from place to place that the numbers are pretty suspect most of the time. I would guess we are a couple of weeks past the containment phase and it's down to standard precautionary measures and acceptance now.

But we'll see, I guess.
    Have you read The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowieckie? If you haven't read it, I think you'd enjoy it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I gotta ask, if you "wash" your hands with stuff like this, could you potentially get some level of intoxication from it? I mean, trans-dermal migration is a thing.
    I have a friend who ended up with sharpie all over her ( long story). She took it off with grain alcohol and got rip-roarin' drunk from it.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Just another data point to think about per the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

User Tag List