Page 11 of 725 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

The thought of the homeless populations being afflicted first and frequently by viral outbreaks is a good one though. It's quite possible that the first populations hit significantly by the AIDS epidemic were not homosexual males like previously thought - but homeless intravenous drug-users in urban areas like New York City.
    If that's true, which I suspect it may be, a lot of people are going to be infected in Seattle. They cultivate the homeless population and drug use in that city.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

This reminds me of an old British TV series from the 1970s Called Survivors, which dealt with a global plague that started exactly this way.

Just watch the first minute of the first episode:

We am starting to see economic impacts from the coronavirus; the manufacturing facilities in China have had the return from the Lunar New Year holiday closure pushed back indefinitely. The return date was originally scheduled as 10-FEB (one extra week), so things were running a bit tight as there are about two to three weeks of parts in transit. Since we get some components from Wuhan province, we are seeing supply chain impacts. Eventually we will not be able to ship product and will shut down one or more OEM assembly plants.

DISCLAIMER: NOT A PEER REVIEWED PAPER -- AMPLE GRAINS OF SALT APPLY

This is an interesting read purportedly out of China which estimates the R0 value at 4.08. Imagine the scenario a month or two from now if the is even close to accurate. Unless China's updated numbers are tens of thousands under-reported, or simply unknown, this seems impossible.

link to pdf
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I've been imploring my MIL to get the hell out of the country. She's been nonchalant about the whole thing, but does now have a flight out on 2/3. She's just outside of HK in Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've been imploring my MIL to get the hell out of the country. She's been nonchalant about the whole thing, but does now have a flight out on 2/3. She's just outside of HK in Shenzhen
    She (and your wife) will be in my thoughts.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    She (and your wife) will be in my thoughts.
    Thanks, @blues. I had told her earlier, to just take the two hour bus ride to HK, and get a hotel room. Then fly out of HK at her convenience. Flying out of HK is way easier than flying out of PRC.

ETA. Last year my wife, went to China to bring back her dad, who had a heart attack and passed in Guangzhou. She called me to tell me she took her first crap in a hole, when the train stopped for a break. I said that was to be expected. Then she called me the next day to say the bathrooms had no hand soap. I said that was to be expected too. Then she said it was the HOSPITAL that had no hand soap.....
    Last edited by theJanitor; 01-31-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    DISCLAIMER: NOT A PEER REVIEWED PAPER -- AMPLE GRAINS OF SALT APPLY

This is an interesting read purportedly out of China which estimates the R0 value at 4.08. Imagine the scenario a month or two from now if the is even close to accurate. Unless China's updated numbers are tens of thousands under-reported, or simply unknown, this seems impossible.

link to pdf
    I could be wrong but I believe the latest research is putting it at a RO of 2.2.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Thanks, @blues. I had told her earlier, to just take the two hour bus ride to HK, and get a hotel room. Then fly out of HK at her convenience. Flying out of HK is way easier than flying out of PRC.

ETA. Last year my wife, went to China to bring back her dad, who had a heart attack and passed in Guangzhou. She called me to tell me she took her first crap in a hole, when the train stopped for a break. I said that was to be expected. Then she called me the next day to say the bathrooms had no hand soap. I said that was to be expected too. Then she said it was the HOSPITAL that had no hand soap.....
    Your MIL may have some issues travelling to the USA. There is a new travel restriction on foreign nationals and different restrictions on US citizens who have been in China. My understanding is that there is an exception for foreign nationals who have US citizens as immediate family; they also go to quarantine. From https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/c...hnk/index.html

The Trump administration announced a ban on foreign national travel for those who have been in China within the last 14 days, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced Friday.

The United States, Azar said, is "temporarily suspending the entry into the United States of foreign nationals who pose a risk of transmitting the 2019 novel coronavirus."

Azar noted that any US citizen who has been in the Hubei Province in the last 14 days will be subject to up to 14 days of mandatory quarantine upon return to the United States. US citizens returning from the rest of mainland China who have been there in the last 14 days will undergo screening at US ports of entry and up to 14 days of self-monitoring.

The ban will be in effect beginning at 5 p.m. ET Sunday.

The basis for the temporary ban, Dr. Anthony Fauci told reporters, is “the unknown of the aspects of this particular outbreak."

I suspect the chinese goverment is keeping a lid on both the real number of infections and the severity of the cases...

Nothing to see, move along

The Government is taking care of everything

User Tag List